New .450/.400 3" Ruger #1

@shuter , please don't take my comments wrong , I wish you all the best with your rifle , it's just my view that I cant get used to the stock. perhaps I am just expecting more from it ? I have some rifles that most of you wouldn't look twice at but I love them and they perform every time I use them in the bush .

once again enjoy your new rifle , come use it where it belongs .... Africa.
Brother, not to worry. No problem! I think I will get to Africa one of these years...and when I do, my .400 Jeff will accompany me!

We all love our rifles for very specific reasons. My first number 1 is stainless with laminated stock in 300 win mag. It was given to my by my wife 15 years ago and I love that rifle. This newest one in 458 Lott has an ugly stock.....I'm even considering having a new one made. So I understand the thoughts on the looks of the stocks.

We all love our rifles for very specific reasons. My first number 1 is stainless with laminated stock in 300 win mag. It was given to my by my wife 15 years ago and I love that rifle. This newest one in 458 Lott has an ugly stock.....I'm even considering having a new one made. So I understand the thoughts on the looks of the stocks.
I totally agree. Like I said, I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of figure in this one, seeing as how it's a "limited edition" and all. I also dislike the forends on the standard and (especially) varmint #1's...too bulky. I do like the Alexander Henry style on the tropicals, however.

Yea I keep looking at the 450/400 #1's and you make we want to go track one down:D Have a quick question on the recoil reducer, Did it get the rifle to balance between the hands? as all the #1 tropicals I have owned and handled are muzzle heavy.

Yea I keep looking at the 450/400 #1's and you make we want to go track one down:D Have a quick question on the recoil reducer, Did it get the rifle to balance between the hands? as all the #1 tropicals I have owned and handled are muzzle heavy.
Yes it did. Now balances right at the front of the receiver now. Much better, plus it adds almost a pound.

Got the scope on tonight. As I said above, it's a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x. Scope, rings, and Alumina flip ups only added about 9 ounces. Total weight scoped and slung is 9 lbs. 13 oz. This little beauty has right at 5 in. of eye relief, too...which might come in handy:). Overall, considering size, magnification, and eye relief, it seems about perfect for the cartridge and rifle to me. Clears the fixed front sight by almost 1/16th inch, so no problem there. These are Ruger low rings. Sorry for crappy lighting; may try to get another tomorrow.
IMG_2384.JPG

I'd sure love to cause someone else to buy something...happened to me a couple times now because of this damned site:)

shuter,

I have about 70 Woodleigh bullets for a .450/ 400 NE, 35 SNs and 35 FMJs. Quote me a price and I'll send them to you plus small flat rate USPS shipping. That is, if you are interested.

Correction on the weight: It's 10.25 Lbs. scoped and 9.5 Lbs. unscoped. Here's a pic of it all scoped up. The Leupold Alumina flip up covers are very nice. I'd never used them until very recently. Not cheap, but nice and solid and well-made.
IMG_2406.jpg

That's a dandy rifle for sure, good way to set it up. You will appreciate the nice pad and reducer. I had the same exact rifle a few years back, but it was the only rifle to ever give me recoil headache every time I shot it. So it went down the road in favor of a CZ .404 Jeffery, basically the same round in a rimless case and slightly bigger hole. Now its down the road as well since I got the custom .404 J Ruger # 1! It bloody kicks too but it has a Decelerator pad on it and it doesn't bash me about as bad as the other #1 did. Its hard to find any kind of rifle these days with really nice wood, even a #1 which traditionally always had nice wood, its just running out. I have seen a number of #1 rifles recently that didn't look near as nice as yours however. I think that's a really classy looking outfit.

That's a dandy rifle for sure, good way to set it up. You will appreciate the nice pad and reducer. I had the same exact rifle a few years back, but it was the only rifle to ever give me recoil headache every time I shot it. So it went down the road in favor of a CZ .404 Jeffery, basically the same round in a rimless case and slightly bigger hole. Now its down the road as well since I got the custom .404 J Ruger # 1! It bloody kicks too but it has a Decelerator pad on it and it doesn't bash me about as bad as the other #1 did. Its hard to find any kind of rifle these days with really nice wood, even a #1 which traditionally always had nice wood, its just running out. I have seen a number of #1 rifles recently that didn't look near as nice as yours however. I think that's a really classy looking outfit.
You may want to get a Graco recoil reducer for that. .404. Adds almost a pound and fits the draw bolt hole. Just minor tinkering required to install.

When I shoot it from the bench I wear a nice PAST sissy pad. If I ever take it hunting, it wont matter.

somehow i missed this thread. :E Doh:

congratulations on your new #1! id say you pretty much solved all the "problems" associated with the #1 with your fixes.

the 450/400 NE 3" is a fine starting cartridge. it doesnt have the reach of the 375 H&H but it makes up for it with bore diameter. what i like about the 450/400 NE 3" is you get the 41 cal bore diameter with the recoil of a 375. this makes it an ideal choice for people just getting into the big bore game.

now get yerself over the the big bore addiction thread and we can discuss your next big bore rifle.

-matt

somehow i missed this thread. :E Doh:

congratulations on your new #1! id say you pretty much solved all the "problems" associated with the #1 with your fixes.

the 450/400 NE 3" is a fine starting cartridge. it doesnt have the reach of the 375 H&H but it makes up for it with bore diameter. what i like about the 450/400 NE 3" is you get the 41 cal bore diameter with the recoil of a 375. this makes it an ideal choice for people just getting into the big bore game.

now get yerself over the the big bore addiction thread and we can discuss your next big bore rifle.

-matt
Thanks, brother Matt! Look forward to shooting it "post mods" next week. Will do on the Addiction thread...

When I shoot it from the bench I wear a nice PAST sissy pad. If I ever take it hunting, it wont matter.
Yes, but it also helps the balance, IMHO...assuming your custom #1 has the same heavy barrel profile that Tropicals do.

Yes, but it also helps the balance, IMHO...assuming your custom #1 has the same heavy barrel profile that Tropicals do.

I had two experience riflemen hold both my Kudu in 300 H&H and my Tropical in 375, and asked them which rifle weighed more.

Both said the 375 weighed more....despite the Kudu weighing 11 ounces more (the Kudu has a VX-6 2-12 mounted and the Tropical was bare)!

The Kudu feels lighter because it balances between the hands vs the muzzle-heavy Tropical.

If I put an 8 ounce mercury tube in the Tropical it would probably feel lighter than without it, due to the better balance.

I had two experience riflemen hold both my Kudu in 300 H&H and my Tropical in 375, and asked them which rifle weighed more.

Both said the 375 weighed more....despite the Kudu weighing 11 ounces more (the Kudu has a VX-6 2-12 mounted and the Tropical was bare)!

The Kudu feels lighter because it balances between the hands vs the muzzle-heavy Tropical.

If I put an 8 ounce mercury tube in the Tropical it would probably feel lighter than without it, due to the better balance.
Your "Kudu" is part of the same Boddington Series, correct? Mine is "The Buffalo" in that series...all the more reason I someday want to shoot one with it! Interesting story you relayed as well; doesn't surprise me. 8 oz. might do it; but I can tell you that the 15 oz. Graco standard does it perfectly for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg