Need help identifying vintage scope bases on 1948 Model 70 300 H&H

redbarn

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI Life, NRA Life
Hunted
Masailand, Selous, Save Valley, Botswana, Capriva
Bought a non-collectors pre 64 ( non original stock pad, receiver tapped for scope mount, no readable serial number on bolt). It has some scope bases installed but I don't know what type. Hoping I can use them. Any one recognize these mounts?

Distance between mount holes is about .835 inches.

Thanks

20230213_110102 (1).jpg

Look like Leupold style to me

They do look like the vintage Redfields. Looks like the Redfield and Leopuld STD rings are interchangeable.

Because of age I would guess Redfield. Redfield or Leupold Rings should fit. Great mount.

I would say redfield but they usually have the name on them such as on this Super Grade .300H&H with period redfield base that’s marked just above serial #

D74FE0E7-E680-483F-8235-83CF96361EEE.jpeg

What I believe you have sir is an early set of Warn bases.

I had a Pre64 .375H&H once that had the same bases + rings.

Rings were a pain to mount a scope in; as they had regular flat head screws on top of the rings that are difficult to tension evenly without marring the screw heads because of their horizontal orientation …. Even with a proper hollow ground screw driver I still damaged the heads and had to order period replacement screws from a collector.

Hence why I believe your mount have more modern hex head screws.

old gun, newer bases. if you plan on keeping 'em, just get leupold rings and twist/tighten on! Is there no marking on the sides of the bases?? Typ the mfr stamp is there. I've seen redfield, leupold, burris and millet (all same style-all rings interchangeable.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.