NE Wyoming fires

gillettehunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
5,339
Reaction score
10,737
Location
WYOMING
Media
140
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
11
USA/Canada
9
Asia/M.East
2
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
If you plan to hunt deer or pronghorn in NE WY this year I’d suggest checking to make sure you’re hunting area has not burned. Could make for a very unsuccessful hunt. Between Weston, Campbell and Johnson counties around 100 square miles have burned recently.
Also use extreme caution in regards to fires this year. One fire in Johnson county moving into MT was 130,000 acres. There have been documented pronghorn deaths. A good rain would see some green growth coming back in the burns and see some animals moving back into those areas. Unfortunately that really hasn’t happened and we’re running out of time for that to make a difference for hunting season.

Check your area!

IMG_4501.jpeg


This picture was taken on I-90 between Buffalo and Gillette.
 
For the short term that sucks.
In the long run it will be very good for the ground and animals. Looking at the long view I have to say, Burn Baby Burn!!!
 
Excuse my math.... 1000 sq miles. Might read the above attached article about the sagebrush loss and invasive grasses.......
Bruce
 
Excuse my math.... 1000 sq miles. Might read the above attached article about the sagebrush loss and invasive grasses.......
Bruce
If managed properly, something no federal government agency can do, it’s still a benefit in the long term.
 
If you plan to hunt deer or pronghorn in NE WY this year I’d suggest checking to make sure you’re hunting area has not burned. Could make for a very unsuccessful hunt. Between Weston, Campbell and Johnson counties around 100 square miles have burned recently.
Also use extreme caution in regards to fires this year. One fire in Johnson county moving into MT was 130,000 acres. There have been documented pronghorn deaths. A good rain would see some green growth coming back in the burns and see some animals moving back into those areas. Unfortunately that really hasn’t happened and we’re running out of time for that to make a difference for hunting season.

Check your area!

View attachment 633625

This picture was taken on I-90 between Buffalo and Gillette.
Sad to see. My sister grew up in Gillette, have family in Rozet. Those animals can't catch a break between fires and winter kills.
 
If you plan to hunt deer or pronghorn in NE WY this year I’d suggest checking to make sure you’re hunting area has not burned. Could make for a very unsuccessful hunt. Between Weston, Campbell and Johnson counties around 100 square miles have burned recently.
Also use extreme caution in regards to fires this year. One fire in Johnson county moving into MT was 130,000 acres. There have been documented pronghorn deaths. A good rain would see some green growth coming back in the burns and see some animals moving back into those areas. Unfortunately that really hasn’t happened and we’re running out of time for that to make a difference for hunting season.

Check your area!

View attachment 633625

This picture was taken on I-90 between Buffalo and Gillette.
I’ve got a buddy who’s a firefighter in the area and has sent me a bunch of videos and pictures. The animals there can’t catch a break. Definitely going to give it a few years to rebound before trying to hunt around there again.
 
New fire North of Gillette moving into Southern MT. 2 days after it started it was 30,000 acres. Latest I heard was 40,000 acres and no containment yet......
Bruce
 
A friend of mine just came back from a trip to Wyoming and believes the pronghorns are dying from the fires. Also said they had not recovered from last year.
 
A friend of mine just came back from a trip to Wyoming and believes the pronghorns are dying from the fires. Also said they had not recovered from last year.
I’ve seen photos of a couple of really great goats come out of the Gillette area this week. I think the fires pushed them more so into different areas than killed them. They definitely haven’t recovered from bad winters. Hard for a population to recover in that short of a time period when it was reduced by the percentage it was. Your friend was likely still seeing the impact from the harsh winters more than the fire but I could be wrong. I didn’t put in for a pronghorn tag this year because of the winters. I’ll probably hold off another 3-5 years before applying. I say this as someone in the upper teens in points. I’m right around what is needed points wise to draw some of the best units/tags in the state.
 
Just out of curiosity where are you from? The only folks I know that call them goats are from South Dakota. Used to hunt around White Owl or Kadoka every year, but it's been many years now since
us out of staters can get tags.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,842
Members
169,186
Latest member
JulianneKa
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top