Croc Hide

jbirdwell

AH enthusiast
Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
437
Reaction score
824
Location
Texas
Media
10
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC
Hunted
US, South Africa
I'm aiming for a croc on my next hunt and I was wondering if any part of the hide was good for leather goods? I do not have the room to display an entire hide but plan on keeping the head for a mount and the claws for some other project. I would keep parts of the hide for possible leather goods is croc skin it good for that.


Thanks in advance for any ideas or shares on you might have done with the hide.

Jaye
 
I'm aiming for a croc on my next hunt and I was wondering if any part of the hide was good for leather goods? I do not have the room to display an entire hide but plan on keeping the head for a mount and the claws for some other project. I would keep parts of the hide for possible leather goods is croc skin it good for that.


Thanks in advance for any ideas or shares on you might have done with the hide.

Jaye
The belly is often used in high end leather goods. Think hermes birkins or whatever elae you can think of
 
Mount your croc vertically attacking down a mud bank:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 139
Okay. I had space problem keeping my croc mounted horizontally so designing him in a vertical pose solved my situation.
 
I'm working on the cartridge belt for this pair right now. See if you can get it oil-tanned and not chrome tanned.
View attachment 783926
Greaat stuff! In my opinion, that is a tasteful well executed treatment and use for croc skin. These are old warriors with exquisite hides .There are too many coarse and clumsy expressions of what that leather can do. Congrats fo bringing out the real strong points and most attractive aspects of the medium. There are multiple uses for the bony plated skin on back and neck. consider those portions for specific uses. Also dont overlook the more or less oval plate behind the head on dorsal side- it can be an very interestion accent. That said, the pale skin under the jaw with the smaller scales is highly prized and well suited for smaller items . cheers
 
I'm aiming for a croc on my next hunt and I was wondering if any part of the hide was good for leather goods? I do not have the room to display an entire hide but plan on keeping the head for a mount and the claws for some other project. I would keep parts of the hide for possible leather goods is croc skin it good for that.


Thanks in advance for any ideas or shares on you might have done with the hide.

Jaye
Jaye, we're leather makers in High Point, NC, and we specialize in working with exotic hides. Crocodile can make some beautiful leather goods. We've made pistol cases, shell bags, ladies' tote bags, rifle and shotgun cases, and other pieces from similar exotic hides.

If you're considering a rifle or shotgun case, one thing to keep in mind is the usable width of the belly. The area where the four legs join the body can limit the continuous width available for a larger project. For smaller items, you have many more options and can make very good use of different sections of the hide.

The photo below is an example of our work. The body is made from cowhide leather and the trim is crocodile. You're welcome to look at our website, Leather Link Studio, to get ideas for what can be made from an exotic hide.
Thank you
Randy

20260316_150923.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jaye, we're leather makers in High Point, NC, and we specialize in working with exotic hides. Crocodile can make some beautiful leather goods. We've made pistol cases, shell bags, ladies' tote bags, rifle and shotgun cases, and other pieces from similar exotic hides.

If you're considering a rifle or shotgun case, one thing to keep in mind is the usable width of the belly. The area where the four legs join the body can limit the continuous width available for a larger project. For smaller items, you have many more options and can make very good use of different sections of the hide.

The photo below is an example of our work. The body is made from cowhide leather and the trim is crocodile. You're welcome to look at our website, Leather Link Studio, to get ideas for what can be made from an exotic hide.
Thank you
Randy
Very classy
 
Jaye, we're leather makers in High Point, NC, and we specialize in working with exotic hides. Crocodile can make some beautiful leather goods. We've made pistol cases, shell bags, ladies' tote bags, rifle and shotgun cases, and other pieces from similar exotic hides.

If you're considering a rifle or shotgun case, one thing to keep in mind is the usable width of the belly. The area where the four legs join the body can limit the continuous width available for a larger project. For smaller items, you have many more options and can make very good use of different sections of the hide.

The photo below is an example of our work. The body is made from cowhide leather and the trim is crocodile. You're welcome to look at our website, Leather Link Studio, to get ideas for what can be made from an exotic hide.
Thank you
Randy

View attachment 796238
Didnt yall make a real nice gun case for someone on the site out of an elephant trunk? Or was that someone else?
And are folks able to visit your shop to talk ideas if they are local?
 
When I lived in FL, and hunted Alligators, I wanted to do some Alligator leather goods from the gators I killed. I was told that the best hides to do boots, belts, etc., were from smaller ones, under 8 ft. Something along the lines that the belly has less scars, and the leather easier to work on. Not sure if this would apply on a big crock, but I'm guessing it would be the same.
 
Don't forget to save the croc anus for some cool stuff

1790874463042.png
 
That is an extremely well executed piece . I'll bet it a similar treatment would make a world class cover for a flask or pocket cigar case/holder . very very nice indeed.
 
Didnt yall make a real nice gun case for someone on the site out of an elephant trunk? Or was that someone else?
And are folks able to visit your shop to talk ideas if they are local?
We did make a case out of an elephant trunk, not sure if it was an AH member or not. Yes we welcome people to our studio, just give us a time you would like to come, we are in High Point NC.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,571,235
Members
169,284
Latest member
BernardoHe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top