NAMIBIA: My Leopard Hunt Begins

Hi guys. Day 3 has come to an end. Leopard situation has not changed. There here we find large spoor each day. Simply too many calves around for them to hit the bait. But you never know. We went out this afternoon looking for the other animals on my wish list. Kudu taken care of now eland, hartebeest, zebra, and if successful on leopard I want a steenbok or duiker.
After driving around a while looking for any possible signs of Mr.Spots mainly looking for fresh eland calf kill. We spotted a herd of zebra. After chasing them for over a mile we gave up, legs torn up from the thorn brush and knees aching a bit we headed back towards the truck and decided we should check a watering hole near our route back. We came upon a duiker at the watering hole my PH said you want one don't you?, I said yes but only after I shoot a cat as I want to mount it with the cat, his response was simple, you must shoot this duiker he is very good, so I abliged. Below is a picture of him. 4 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 on the bases. Very old duiker. Now the pressure is really on to shoot a cat. Lol.

image.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jonny, sorry I did not give you a good luck send off, was out of commission for awhile.
So happy hunting and be safe.......
Hope your on the road to recovery Robert.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice duiker! You did right by culling that Gemsbok...... Stay positive!
 
"Cull oryx my PH asked me to take out. Bad shape the old girl was in"
Nice more leopard bait!
 
Keep the reports coming Johnny! Hope you get old spots
 
Johnny, very nice bush duiker. With the measurements you gave that will turn out to be a SCI Gold Medal duiker and rank in the mid 40's (not that it matters all that much). But your PH was right to have you take the shot. You would be hard pressed to find one any better. It will make a nice mount with your leopard.
 
Be careful with those little guys.... first the duiker, then the Steenbok, then another safari planned just to shoot the other eight....

I actually have more interest in completing the tiny ten than the big 5 now.
 
Beautiful duiker and kudu
 
Congratulations on the little guy. And, thanks for taking the time to keep us up-to-date.
 
That is a fine Duiker. Sometimes its best to take what africa gives you. Its likely you may never of had the chance to get one that good later..... Looks like your collecting bait. Best of luck. Bruce
 
Congrats Johnnie on your good 53 + Kudu Bull and the great Bush Duiker you got.......lets see how this go with Mrs Spots.....!!!!!

Good Luck on it.....!!!!!
 
Hi everyone, and thanks for your kind words. Day 4 has closed with no signs of leopard hitting baits. So the chess game continues. On our way back to the house this evening we came across a hartebeest walking in the road about 1000 yds ahead of us. Light was fading quickly and he was walking away from us.

My ph decided let try to stalk thru the brush and cut the distance. We got to about 150 yards the hartebeest was still walking straight away. My ph whistled several times trying to get a gauge on the beast. He was sure it was a male so the decision was made for me to shoot. I sent the 180 gr TSX from my 300 WSM and hit him hard. 15 yds into the bush he layed. Hope you guys don't mind my daily updates. Kind of fun to have you along.


image.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Unique trophies are the best ones.

It's great being along on the hunt. Glad you like the company.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,914
Members
169,639
Latest member
AlbaAlber
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top