NAMIBIA: Leopard Hunt With Leopard Legend Safaris

I believe you're certainly better off not taking a Leopard unless it's one to quit on. What I'm saying is to be careful and not shoot one you will not be satisfied with. With the trophy fee and taxidermy costs being the same for all size Leopards, don't do like me and shoot a small male on the first trip. I regretted it from day one. After two more trips, I was rewarded with my dream cat. Best of luck on your return trip.

An interesting and informative read- well done!

Some very fine trophies will be gracing your house once back from the taxidermist.

Here I am spending literally thousands of Australian dollars on fine large caliber firearms, when all I needed was a dirty old small Magnum!

That Cheetah is certainly something to bragg about. Not something the do- gooder's or the PH guilde should be hearing about though. Namibia does have strict laws concerning minimum caliber and energy for Dangerous Game as well as hunting at night time.....

Shot it at last light, and Cheetah is not considered dangerous game as far as I know.

Bluey I think attitude will make or break a hunt. If you go over with the attitude that you have to shoot a Leopard, instead of the attitude to make the best of it. You are depriving your self out of a good expierience. Ive been in camps in North America where hunters did nothing but complain, even thou they got nice animals. I don't want to ever be one of those guys.

Oh yes @Albertaguy I know of the show there, might possibly go pop in there but doubt if I would have a stand. Should I go, you will be on my list and we can share a good coffee at the show or elsewhere.
You were in the right mind Great hunt and awesome report, there is always next time!

Thank you for sharing! I like your cat anyway.

I love your attitude Peter.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Tim

Great hunting story and great trophies many of which we all wish for. The Damara Dik Dik is on my list the next trip there and I can only hope cheetah will be permitted for USA soon.(there is some talk at least)
Kind Regards,
Philip

Good report and some fine trophies. Personally I would move on and seek a better calibre of PH in your quest for Leopard.

Nothing wrong with the PH a very good cat person, we had cats hitting baits but they did not come back. The PH worked very hard to get a Leopard but it just wasn't meant to be.

Any PH that recommends a .22 for a cat should be avoided. To leave a valuable trophy over night and possibly wounded is another no no in my book.

The use of the small rifle was my fault. I grabbed the wrong rifle

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you are honest. Good luck on your next attempt.

Any PH that recommends a .22 for a cat should be avoided. To leave a valuable trophy over night and possibly wounded is another no no in my book.

Is there anything else that was a mistake in your book Andrew? (Honestly, trying to learn)

Is there anything else that was a mistake in your book Andrew? (Honestly, trying to learn)

In Zambia we are bound by a code of conduct and ethical hunting standards.

Fair game you seem o assume a lot, and make judgement with few facts. At no time in my report did I go throu the thought process of how we determined to leave the Cheetah till morning. Believe me when I say the decision was not made lightly, we weighted the dangers of continuing on and the chance that it would get eaten by something else. Also I was very sure of my shot placement, and thought there was a 98% chance it was dead when we left, which it was. I spent my youth hunting Bear in Canada and I'm use to weighing the odds of things happening. The decision was not
made by just the PH.

Thank You for sharing and love the pics. Good luck when you go back

Fair game you seem o assume a lot, and make judgement with few facts. At no time in my report did I go throu the thought process of how we determined to leave the Cheetah till morning. Believe me when I say the decision was not made lightly, we weighted the dangers of continuing on and the chance that it would get eaten by something else. Also I was very sure of my shot placement, and thought there was a 98% chance it was dead when we left, which it was. I spent my youth hunting Bear in Canada and I'm use to weighing the odds of things happening. The decision was not
made by just the PH.

Absolutely sir. Blundering around in the dark looking for a cat is always unnerving for a PH and he must have been relieved that you made that call.

Did you guys happen to have a flash light?

How did the discussion go about Followup?

One flashlight between two of us. We decided that we would be better off letting it go till first light, there was bright arteriel blood where he was standing. We got back out at 5:30 in the morning and started looking. Like I said he went a short distance and piled up in a log pile. I didn't think two guys stumbling around in the dark with a possible wounded cat was a good idea. As a side note it reminded me of crawling through thick brush, pushing a shot gun ahead of me looking for a wounded bear.

I heard something about discretion being the better part of...

No desire to crawl after wounded bears in the brush....

I crawled after bears in the bush a bit in my twenties, never lost one but had some tense moments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg