NAMIBIA: Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris

That's a monster kudu! Congrats!

Wow nice kudu, a dream bull for anyone!! I'm only a little jealous :whistle:(y)(y)

We carried on to drop off the last salt blocks last time I had been at this location we had found a warthog that had been killed by a leopard. I walked over to the large concrete water storage tank and looked over the side and saw this
P1030487.JPG

I thought it was dead but Philip said it was holding up his head. Hendrick fetched a stick and scooped it out of the tank . At this point I walked to the top of the dam well out of the way . But I just couldn't help myself and had to go back.
P1030488.JPG
He then slipped away.
Philip walked to the top of the dam to check the water level and quickly called louis with the .22 there were a couple of Egyptian geese by the water after a couple of shots the geese took off and landed just out of range louis took off after them into the bush after a while he returned unsuccessful but assured us he had hit one but he could not find it .
P1030491.JPG

louis and voodoo empty handed.

What a Kudu!

You guys are stacking up some good hunting and trophies.

You guys are stacking up some good hunting and trophies.
Philip was definitely putting us on some great animals and making it an enjoyable hunt for the kids.

What a grand time! Are those kids ever going to have some wonderful memories!

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Making life time meomries

That afternoon we again went to look for jackal and baboon but we also took 2 shotguns and a .22 rf as we would be after some guinea fowl as well. We had not been on the move long when a jackal jumped out onto the track ahead of us. Philip brought the truck to an abrupt stop. The jackal ran a good hundred meters and louis gave a shout and just like the foxes back home he stopped dead and turned to look back at us . The shot rang out and a cloud of stone and dust kicked up behind the jackal and it took off back into the scrub unharmed . Apparently Just as he shot Chukka the dog moved and rocked the truck causing the miss. the rest of the afternoon was spent after guinea fowl. I shot a couple of flying birds and the kids played with the .22 with varying results but was a fun way to spend an afternoon. We ended up with 5 which were to be cooked up for tomorrow's lunch. No photo's Philip accidentally deleted them. but we did find this chap crossing the track much to the kids delight.
P1030497.JPG
P1030496.JPG

Great hunt and photos keep it coming. :A Popcorn:

Day 7 Wednesday:

So today would be our final day of hunting at Farm Heusis . We set off again in pursuit of Jackal and Baboon and an open mind on what may present itself. The kids still had the .22 and were still plinking away ant the odd guinea fowl. As we meandered along one of the farm tracks we stopped to take a look at a couple of warthogs about 30 meters away in the group was a large boar. As we decided that perhaps we should get the rifle and go after him a shot rang out from the .22 and the warthog took off into the scrub. We get out and say to the kids did you not see the big warthog they replied " Yes but we didn't think you wanted a warthog and you stopped for us to shoot at the guinea fowl to our left. " So Philip and I sett off to see if we can find the warthog. We made it to a small rocky outcrop where we began to scan the valley below us. Then Philip spotted the boar running down a small gully philip sett the sticks and we waited the warthog came out of the gully and began to cross open ground. the warthog paused for a moment then took off again until he stopped another 50 meters further on. I lined him up and squeezed the trigger I saw dust and stones kick up and the warthog appeared to jump in the air then took off over the ridge into a next valley. We approached the spot were we thought he was stood and looked for signs not a hair or drop of blood we searched for several minutes and could find nothing and came to the conclusion that one of the stones may of kicked up hit him and made him jump. we walked back to the truck took the .22 off the kids and carried on. At this point Bronwyn asked if she could shoot a warthog as well and I told her that if she wanted one she would have to keep up with us and not sit at the truck waiting to be told .
IMG_0557.JPG
After this we saw several more nice warthog and after several fruitless stalks we called it a morning . I think Bronwyn took the hint.

From what had been a hot sunny morning after lunch the rain came again. We would continue to look jackal and baboon and also for warthog and we would try one of the dams for Egyptian goose which we had seen in the morning.

IMG_0560.JPG

the rain was that heavy even the dogs took shelter. We headed off to the dam where we had seen the geese as we approached we saw a group of Egyptian geese heading to the dam, great we thought. Philip put us into position and told us not to shoot any duck and they went to flush the geese off the water. Well the geese had gone and as you would expect the ducks flew over us beautifully several groups made a couple of circuit's over us both. We then proceeded to look for warthog Philip had a place in mind that received a lot of rain and the area was looking lush and green and that would be a good place to look this afternoon.

IMG_2192.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The rain stopped and it was not long before the sun was back out. As we headed to where Philip was sure there would be a good warthog we began to see females with young but no big males. As we would stop to look they would take off. We stop in a small valley which must of seen some rain as it was full of lush green grass. Philip decided that we should go for a walk as it looked like a good spot. Louis and hendrick stay at the truck and me and Philip with Bronwyn in tow head off . We had started making our way up a small dry creek lined with the odd tree , we had gone not much more than 150 meters when Philip stopped off to our right where the valley began to fork was a warthog. Philip stops to take a look and say's nice warthog and setts the sticks. The warthog is oblivious to us and is broadside at about 150 meters browsing. Philip looks at me and I turn to Bronwyn and say "come on then " I hand her the rifle and she sets it on the sticks, as Bronwyn prepares to shoot the warthog moves towards some cover but just stops short. I am thinking quick shoot before he goes and the shot rings out and the warthog drops right on the spot. It kicks up dirt with its legs for several seconds Philip asks Bronwyn if she thought she "shot it in the ass" Bronwyn said "I don't think so " when we reached the warthog we could see the shot entry just below the ear exit to the right of the eye.

IMG_0566.JPG

We loaded up and went to look for another warthog for me but with no success. We were having a braai tonight and we told not to be back to late so we headed back to the farm as Philip and I began to look back over the weeks events, I looked out of the window to the left I could see a jackal stood in the bushes. I shout jackal Philip hits the brakes we stop and everyone is wear is it all looking forward down the track. I point left and everyone then see's it a few seconds later and a shot rings out another miss and the jackal takes off. Philip asks if it was a hit I reply "no" we were about to go on when I tell Philip I can see another so Philip waits luckily louis had also seen it. louis takes a good rest and the shot rings out this time his aim is true and the jackal drops.

P1030514.JPG

three days off sitting up top waiting and two misses later mission accomplished. We returned for the braai and had a very merry evening with Philips family and friends. I think we made quite a dent in the alcohol supplies that evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Homeward bound
Our final day we packed up and went and said our goodbyes to the staff. Philip was going to drop us off so my daughter could do some souvenir shopping in Windhoek. In the meantime Philip had some business to take care of in town. We had a good look round had coffee and were just finishing the last purchases as Philip returned. We loaded into the truck and Philip presented us with some very nice shirts with the Khomas Highland Hunting logo on which he had just collected. We also stopped by the NAPHA offices as I had asked Philip if we could organise a medal for each of the kids for the Oryx they had shot as a memento and to settle the who had shot the largest animal debate. Both were gold medal but one was slightly bigger. They also had a sale on clothing which Philip bought most of for his guys they should look even smarter now . We then went for a nice lunch together before Philip took us to the airport were we said our goodbyes and headed home.

We all had a great time hunting with Philip and staying with his Family. For me it was enjoyable to watch the kids have a great time and to sit back and watch them hunt for a change rather than the other way around. Philip was great never pushed them into anything that was beyond their capabilities and kept it interesting for both especially Bronwyn. I was concerned when I organised the trip that they may find it a bit boring after the first couple of days but they was always some adventure happening and the time whizzed by with both kids wishing we could stay longer.

IMG_2306.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg