Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAHC, NRA, WVBA
Hunted
U.S.A., Canada, South Africa, & Namibia
Well, I am getting all my plans together to hunt Namibia 2012. Has anyone here hunted with Orpa Hunting Safaris? Dirk has given me references that have checked out with very glowing reports. This makes me very hopeful that everything will be done right. I plan on hunting Leopard and plains game. Also hoping for a Caracal. They are beautiful.
This is only my second Safari to Africa. My first trip was South Africa, and I have been hoping to get back to "The Dark Continent" ever since. If anyone has any suggestions I am very open to them. Any advice is appreciated.
Jim

kudu-jpg.15412

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you have a excellent hunt! I checked out there website, I was impressed. It won't be a cheap hunt, but quality hunts never are, and you will be in a area that has good leopard populations. I hope you have a successful leopard hunt. I would probably hunt a hartsmann zebra, kudu, gemsbok at least in that area...since you have to add 5-6 animals to the leopard package. Red hartebeest are very fun to hunt too. If money is tight, have a rug made of the zebra, of coarse full mount the leopard and European mount the rest. The other option is to shoot female animals to satisfy the 5-6 animals that need to be shot....just pay the trophy fee and mount nothing but the leopard if you are successful.

you should have a great time

Two things I see on the web site that gave me pause.
make sure you know where you are hunting and how much this will be.
Not included:
trophy transport to taxidermist
transport to other hunting farm

You have to hunt 5 or 6 other plains animals to hunt a Leopard??? Why? (Not that you won't anyway)

Website: I also found the package specials a little confusing too.

So, make sure you get it all on paper or email before you sign up.

They say they are NAPHA members. Check the NAPHA site.

Talk to those Leopard hunters that last hunted there. There are no dates on the photos that I could see.

Good luck.

Thanks all for the input
Enysse, Zebra and Red Hartbeest are two of the animals I plan on taking, plus Warthog, Blue Wildebeest,(I already have Black one that would qualify for Roland Ward) & Eland if it is mature and true trophy.
James, thanks I hope to.
Brickburn, No problem with the 5 to 6 plains game (I had planned to), transport to taxidermist will be $100.00 according to their website(this will be for pack and dip). I have contacted seven clients who have hunted with them and all were glowing reports. Only one had Leopard hunted, he was very happy and got a nice Leopard. His advice was to go earlier in the season than he did, which I am doing. One thing I like is if no Leopard it costs him $5000.00, so I believe he will work very hard to get me on a good Leopard. I am saving all emails too.
Thanks guys

Hi Jim, thanks for the update, A mature Eland is a definitely a great idea to add.

I can't wait to hear how your hunt turns out. I'm not sure I'll go to Namibia for leopard....or stick to my original plan and hunt Zimbabwe. Only time will tell. One thing I like about Zimbabwe is it has a lot of other animals I have not had the opportunity to hunt. I do like Namibia though...you know what you are going to get there. It's quiet, beautiful and well managed.

Jim Good luck on your hunt fill us in when you get back, be sure to get plenty of pics to post.

Jim, We look forward to your report. Good luck!

Enysse, What interest you about Zim? Big 5 or plains game? Remember my recent experience there.

My first African safari was in Namibia hunting with Dirk at Orpa Hunting Safaris. My father and I went together and it was an absolutely outstanding hunt. Dirk has a first class set up and plentiful game. Every time we left the house it seemed like we would see at least 20 warthog and a wide variety of other game. I shot a kudu, a red hartebeest, a warthog, a gemsbok, and a springbok. The kudu, warthog, and hartebeest were all earned gold medals in the NAPHA medal system. My father shot a kudu, an eland cow, a red hartebeest, a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, a jackal, and two warthogs. It was an outstanding adventure and truly the trip of a lifetime.

My first African safari was in Namibia hunting with Dirk at Orpa Hunting Safaris. My father and I went together and it was an absolutely outstanding hunt. Dirk has a first class set up and plentiful game. Every time we left the house it seemed like we would see at least 20 warthog and a wide variety of other game. I shot a kudu, a red hartebeest, a warthog, a gemsbok, and a springbok. The kudu, warthog, and hartebeest were all earned gold medals in the NAPHA medal system. My father shot a kudu, an eland cow, a red hartebeest, a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, a jackal, and two warthogs. It was an outstanding adventure and truly the trip of a lifetime.

ConGrats please do a hunting report with lots of pics we love details. btw Welcome to AH!

Thanks!

I have just started a blog where I discuss my hunting experiences. I just made my first post about this trip to Namibia with Orpa Hunting Safaris. In this post, talk about what I did to prepare for the trip. In subsequent posts, I'll discuss the details of the trip. Please take a look:
The Big Game Hunting Blog

Thanks!

I have just started a blog where I discuss my hunting experiences. I just made my first post about this trip to Namibia with Orpa Hunting Safaris. In this post, talk about what I did to prepare for the trip. In subsequent posts, I'll discuss the details of the trip. Please take a look:
The Big Game Hunting Blog

Tried to check out your blog had trouble loading the pics, if you would be so kind on us not so smart computer guys like me cut and paste your report here on AH and add lots of pics. Thanks Bob

Unfortunately, discussing all of the details of the hunt would take up far too much space to than is available here.

I've attached a picture of my kudu below. I took the kudu with a vintage Martini-Henry rifle that my grandparents gave me as a college graduation present.

Attachments

• kudu.jpg
    kudu.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 1,272
I thought I'd revive this thread and See if anyone has any updates, experiences with Orpa

I thought I'd revive this thread and See if anyone has any updates, experiences with Orpa

Dirk will be in booth 2058 in Dallas and booth 212 in Houston. He is a great guy who runs a top flight operation.
PM me if you want more details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg