Namibia: Cell or Satellite phone?

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
OK Sports Fans I believe I have just about all the Logistics for my 2019 Namibian Leopard Safari planned out thanks in no small part to advice and information from africahunting.com.

I have one area I’m struggling with…Communications. I’m to “old School” for the latest greatest Cell phone of the month club. Everything I’ve read says USA Cell phones won’t work in Namibia. I’m reading where in-order to use the Cell networks in Namibia you need an unlocked phone and buy a sims card when your in country?

So for a couple of we’re alive calls to family, calls for flight delays, lost luggage and Emergency calls. I’d like you opinion Satellite phone or Cell phone what works best in Namibia and what do I need? What has worked for hunters who have been to Namibia?

Reactions: WAB
If you'll be hunting from a ranch, just use the outfitters home phone. If you're going to be in the boonies you can rent a sat phone from an outfit like globalcom. I did that on my trip to Zambia. It was relatively cheep and worked fine.

Most places not in the caprivia will have WiFi. You can use WhatsApp to call. Can’t help with flight delays etc. I would also check your facts about weather your phone will work. My iPhone worked. It is is just tremendously expensive. This WhatsApp. Good luck have fun.

On all my trips, I've survived without a phone. I used email in the evening and morning to communicate. If you do want to talk, you need an unlocked phone or what is referred to a GSM. Most phones in the US are "locked" with the provider (ATT, Verizon, etc). With an unlocked phone, you simply buy a pre-paid SIM card. I believe there is a way to unlock a locked phone nowadays, as the providers are required to give you the code to unlock the it.

While living in Nigeria for 6 years, my wife had an unlocked iPhone and simply switched the US SIM card with the Nigeria one and used the phone wherever. I was old school and had a company provided Nigerian phone and I maintained a personal US phone.

The suggestion from @MMAL is a good one too. Essentially allows you to text messages through the WhatsApp app.

Namibia phone: http://www.mtc.com.na/

Coverage is not like home. I bought a local PREPAID SIM and put it in my unlocked phone.
It was not perfect. Manage your expectations.

MTC Coverage Map.
Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 9.17.31 AM.png

telecom.na Coverage map
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.01.23 PM.png

Satellite phones are not perfect either.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.12.53 PM.png

Compare coverage for satellite phones.
http://www.satphonestore.com/coveragemaps

Last edited:
+1 on the what’s app. We just had anyone we wanted to stay in contact with at home download the app!! Worked great! Also everyone in Africa uses it

Inmarsat covers Africa thoroughly - along with about anywhere else. They use a large constellation of low altitude birds. I purchased an IsatPhone-pro a couple of years ago and have used it from the Zambezi Delta to British Columbia to Europe to South Texas. Just need a gap in the trees.

Next question is there any place that sells PREPAID SIM cards for Namibia on-line?

Personally I would go with a Sat phone. Why bother with a cell phone when it might and might not work for the area that you might be in.

Have you talked to your outfitter about this to see if there is cell coverage at his lodge location?

Here is another idea for you if cell coverage is available, how about a throw away cell phone? I am sure that they are for sale over there at a market.

Next question is there any place that sells PREPAID SIM cards for Namibia on-line?

Don't know about Namibia but for RSA, I use a OneSim.com sim card in my sprint phone. Your phone must be one that works on all frequencies and be unlocked for international calls. Best to swap out sim cards well in advance to make sure they work.
Having said that, although the service may not be the best, if you have internet and wi-fi, you can use wi-fi calling. What's App is extensively used but internet or cell service is required for it to work.
The one thing I like about onesim is you get a U.S. local number that can be used in the U.S. by the caller for free. You are still charged per minute to you but not the caller.
https://www.onesimcard.com/

Don't know about Namibia but for RSA, I use a OneSim.com sim card in my sprint phone. Your phone must be one that works on all frequencies and be unlocked for international calls. Best to swap out sim cards well in advance to make sure they work.
Having said that, although the service may not be the best, if you have internet and wi-fi, you can use wi-fi calling. What's App is extensively used but internet or cell service is required for it to work.
The one thing I like about onesim is you get a U.S. local number that can be used in the U.S. by the caller for free. You are still charged per minute to you but not the caller.
https://www.onesimcard.com/
They claim it works in Namibia??? This could be the answer?

They claim it works in Namibia??? This could be the answer?
You can call them and find out what are the best plans. I've used them for six years in RSA and if you use wi-fi calling, it's peanuts cost wise. As far as the satellite phone, I took one the first year to RSA and it was a waste of money but one has to take in consideration the places you may be without cell phone coverage and if your PH/outfitter has 24/7 communication capabilities. In case of a medical emergency (Global Rescue/Ripcord, another topic), I want them to be able to call and get me the hell out of there ASAP.

Since I have AT&T, went to their website and found this.
https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/world.html

Namibia is on list.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/global-countries.html

AT&T Passport®
More data. More value.*

From $60

Traveling abroad? Pay a one-time, per-device charge to use your devices in over 200 countries. Lasts 30 days or as long as you need it.

Bring AT&T Passport along with you on your next journey. It includes talk, text, and data, so you can keep in touch while you’re abroad.

Just a heads-up. You'll use data if you send messages through some apps like iMessage™ or Hangouts™. Check your device and app settings to turn off messaging services. Also, Passport rates don't apply at sea but will keep you connected on land.

upload_2018-5-28_15-24-46.png

I rented an Iridium sat phone from Explorer. I used it in southern Zimbabwe and the reception was great.

Since I have AT&T, went to their website and found this.
https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/world.html

Namibia is on list.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/global-countries.html

AT&T Passport
More data. More value.*

From $60

Traveling abroad? Pay a one-time, per-device charge to use your devices in over 200 countries. Lasts 30 days or as long as you need it.

Bring AT&T Passport along with you on your next journey. It includes talk, text, and data, so you can keep in touch while you’re abroad.

Just a heads-up. You'll use data if you send messages through some apps like iMessage or Hangouts. Check your device and app settings to turn off messaging services. Also, Passport rates don't apply at sea but will keep you connected on land.

View attachment 231049

I got this plan for my first trip over. I leave June 6. Will let you know how well it worked when I return.

With today's smartphones, photos and videos in emails can eat up 1 gig in a hurry.

Check with your service provider. Mine let's me use my same plan/phone/sim card virtually anywhere in the world for an extra $10/day for only the days I use it.

Check with your service provider. Mine let's me use my same plan/phone/sim card virtually anywhere in the world for an extra $10/day for only the days I use it.

TJ if your on Telus they don’t do it for Namibia, I have the same plan but Namibia is one of the few countries that don’t offer this for.

TJ if your on Telus they don’t do it for Namibia, I have the same plan but Namibia is one of the few countries that don’t offer this for.

Just looked it up and it does work there...perhaps they recently added it? Tanzania was the one country we traveled to where it didn't though.

Just looked it up and it does work there...perhaps they recently added it? Tanzania was the one country we traveled to where it didn't though.

Ok it didn’t work last year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross