Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africia, Botswana, Alaska, Canada, Most Western US, Kyrgyzstan, Namibia
Backpack Hunt for Mountain Zebra – Namibia

After my hunt for Ibex in November of 2015, I thought that would be the end of my attempts at the more extreme hunting experiences in the world, after all at 71 years old, maybe it was time to slow down a little and not go on these physically demanding hunts.

But, while looking at the hunts up for auction at the Dallas Safari Club, I saw a listing for a 7 day backpack hunt in Namibia for Mountain Zebra in the Erongo wilderness. No vehicles, no trackers, no
, just the hunter and the PH, on foot, packing everything. Sounds great! So I bid on it…. Well it turned out that not a lot of people are as nuts as I am, I won the hunt.

The training, starts, 30-40 pounds in a pack hiking the mountains here in Arizona got me ready as I could be, for a guy of advanced age (old).

May 21st found me in Namibia, after a four hour drive to the mountains; we arrived at the main camp. This part of Namibia looks a lot like my home state of Arizona, except for the wildlife, and some trees, I felt very much at home.

My PH, John Wamback, of Prohunting Namibia and I are very like-minded, and the entire experience was a blast.

The third day found us glassing a big stallion at 330 yards away at the crest of a mountain, having my 300 Ultra dialed in I felt very confident in taking him at that distance, so the hard work begins.

Looks like Arizona, till you see the road signs.
DSC01222.JPG

Now the hard work. He was on the side of the mountain, skinning and meat retrieval was real changeling.

20160526_081107_001.jpg

Getting ready for the mountains -
getting ready.jpg

Fixing a flat! Shoe lace needed to be redone.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

20160526_074558.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 229
I can imagine myself doing a back pack hunt such as this.....25 years ago when I did so twice in the Flat Tops Wilderness, Colorado.....but not now. Looking forward to reading the rest. Am happy for you that you can still accomplish such a hunt. Most hunters half your age (at least where I am from) couldn't have made your hunt! Congratulations!

IMG_1362 (1).JPG

DSC01350.JPG

Horned Puff Adder
DSC01278.JPG

More on the trip later.

Great start John I know the little we talked at the airport you had a great hunt!!!

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing your story! :A Clapping:

Congratulations. Look forward to hearing more about the hunt.

Man that is a cool hunt. What a way to make an "easier" hunt extreme. Pretty awesome at any age let alone 71! Definitely gives me some perspective for my mountain hunts.

Nothing quite like having off the rocks to hunt!
Really not to surprised that you were bidding alone.

Congratulations on a real success.

Now that's a cool hunt...

I've packed out elk and there isn't much more satisfying than to get that last meat off the mountain.

Keep it coming.

Very cool hunt! Thank you for sharing and congrats on a well earned trophy zebra!

Nice! Thanks for sharing

Well done Arizona. You found a way to turn a hunt into more of a great life experience! Nice stallion as well.

Wow. Awesome hunt. Congrats, and love the pics and story.

You are the man Arizona. Getting ready for a hunt like this is a serious workout! By the way I've seen some of those signs before! I knew I wasn't in Kansas for sure!
image.jpg

I bet it was a rewarding hunt! I would like to do it.

This is a true hunt :) Congratulations!

Must have been a great experience, congrats !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross