Some years the Fly can be bad in one place and not so bad the next. Well, they may still be around. I also take Benadryl ointment and pills. I go prepared no matter what the PH says. Lots of tall dry grass is a favorite lurking area. Relax if you are headed for South Africa.

One more thought. Take gaters to Fly country and make sure they are tall enough to secure long trousers. Those rascals go up a pants leg in a flash. Tsetse country is not fashion country..

It was mentioned earlier but baby wipes are always in my pack. they can clean up blood, clean up a small cut or scratch and double as Toilet Paper. They can even be pressed into service to clean up binos or camera at a pinch.

:) The basics account for most of the “ten”.

1- Reliable rifle- as reliable as it can be
made to be
2- Best ammunition/bullet obtainable for
purpose
3- Good quality, reliable scope that is
most practical/useful for purpose
4- Appropriate footware, broken in, with
gaiters
5- Good quality binocs suitable for purpose
6- Appropriate clothing- including layers for
cold, including good hat and sunglasses
7- Suitable gloves. I like leather/nomex
flight gloves
8- Camera/cellphone
9- Camp slippers.. double as slippers for
long haul flights.
10- Basic 1st aid kit. With basic bug dope,
antibiotic like cipro, large bandaids,
antibiotic cream, sun block, small tape
etc.

That’s ten :)

Important to me was a small LED (single AA battery) Flashlight - with two-way clip that works in a cargo pocket or on the bill of cap. I took two and used both. One stayed in my pants and the other beside my bed.

I do the same thing at home, so reaching for a light is automatic.

Important to me was a small LED (single AA battery) Flashlight - with two-way clip that works in a cargo pocket or on the bill of cap. I took two and used both. One stayed in my pants and the other beside my bed.

I do the same thing at home, so reaching for a light is automatic.
Yes I like those little flashlights for travel. They don’t replace my headlamp however.

Those flashlights are great when the generators are off and one has to get up in the middle of the night. Now, at last hunt CMS had rechargeable nightstand lights so once I realized that did not need the small flashlight anymore.

On the topic of flashlights and what not, I also bring a tiny portable lantern. I have the older model but its very compact and I’ve used it on ten safaris.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.06.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.06.16 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.06.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.06.18 AM.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 142
Nice film Philip !

Does any one have photos to share taken with the Olympus tough camera?
Do they do well with blow ups?
Heck I read that wrong on my first take !

Here is a video explaining ten items I can't do without on a typical day on safari. I hope this helps not only in planning your next safari but also dreaming of your next great hunt!
Philip

View attachment 344806
Philip
Here is a video explaining ten items I can't do without on a typical day on safari. I hope this helps not only in planning your next safari but also dreaming of your next great hunt!
Philip

View attachment 344806
Philip thanks for your top ten list as it was extremely helpful!
Used the Kuiu Guide DCS jacket in the Valo cammo instead of the Sitka and it worked great.
Lowa boots were almost as quiet as my guides Courteneys and required almost no break in.
5.11 sling pack has become my favorite pack.
Kuiu neck gator worked very well on some pesky flies just like you metioned.
I didn't pack a soft gun case but used one of my guides repeatedly and it would have been a little more convenient to have brought my own.

Again, thanks for your top 10 as it helped this newbie tremendously last week in SA.

@Philip Glass great video! Very similar to my list.

Here’s a tip for y’all:

This little serrated knife is super lightweight and amazing! If you also search the website for “knife sheath” you can also buy the sheath/pouch for it. These knives are crazy sharp and will cut your finger to the bone so be very careful. I skinned three brown bears with it in two weeks and you can reset the edge with a small steel but that is rarely needed. One of these knives will last about 20 animals and then I just grab a new one. They are about $5 each on various restaurant supply websites and I buy a box of them that lasts me for years. I carry one of these in my pack and wear a Leatherman on my belt. You will never carry a big knife again. Try one and be amazed! Much more durable than a Havalon knife blade.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.49.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.49.02 PM.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.49.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.49.06 PM.png
    345 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
@Philip Glass great video! Very similar to my list.

Here’s a tip for y’all:

This little serrated knife is super lightweight and amazing! If you also search the website for “knife sheath” you can also buy the sheath/pouch for it. These knives are crazy sharp and will cut your finger to the bone so be very careful. I skinned three brown bears with it in two weeks and you can reset the edge with a small steel but that is rarely needed. One of these knives will last about 20 animals and then I just grab a new one. They are about $5 each on various restaurant supply websites and I buy a box of them that lasts me for years. I carry one of these in my pack and wear a Leatherman on my belt. You will never carry a big knife again. Try one and be amazed! Much more durable than a Havalon knife blade.
Very interesting and cheap. I too prefer smaller knives for most things.

Philip

Philip thanks for your top ten list as it was extremely helpful!
Used the Kuiu Guide DCS jacket in the Valo cammo instead of the Sitka and it worked great.
Lowa boots were almost as quiet as my guides Courteneys and required almost no break in.
5.11 sling pack has become my favorite pack.
Kuiu neck gator worked very well on some pesky flies just like you metioned.
I didn't pack a soft gun case but used one of my guides repeatedly and it would have been a little more convenient to have brought my own.

Again, thanks for your top 10 as it helped this newbie tremendously last week in SA.
You are most welcome and I am glad it helped you. I am just back from my EC Safari.

Very interesting and cheap. I too prefer smaller knives for most things.

Phillip ... great thread and thanks for sharing.

One of the items i carry always in my pack is a small Victorinox Swiss army knife. The features are the small toothpick and the tweezers which can be used for removing splinters or thorns which can occur while on the trail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 6.33.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 6.33.35 AM.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 140

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsaFitzsim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you