@Philip Glass thanks for the video just reading through the posts and saw this comment. Had the same issue until I picked up a leupold pro staff bins. Used to close one eye on most binoculars. Was on a photo safari and the guide really wanted them. Excellent last/first light capability as well.
I am glad someone sympathizes with my situation. Good glass changes everything!

I use black electrical tape, from the hardware store, to make a 3" cross on a white paper. Helps me align the crosshairs, not canted and resolve the aiming point.
Once scope is sighed in, I use a 1" black aiming point, tape or Sharpie, and shoot for accurate shot placement.

I think @RayAtkinson has it correct that 3x or 4x scopes just work in the field.

Mr. O'Connor and Mr. Keith recommended the same decades ago. Works for my poor eyes.

I really wish Leupold would make a run of the fixed 3x scope, with an illuminated Fire dot reticle.

If some Marketing whizz could convince the 3-gun crowd, that 3x scope magnification really works out to 300 yards, we could be in business with useful hunting scopes.
The thing I dislike with electrical tape is that it falls off in the heat and it's hard to see hits on at distance.

I'd be really interested to see a study done on powers and splits for engagement on targets. I'd submit that there's very little difference between 1-4x.

What kind of 3x are you looking for? I think a 1-8 with some larger objective lens would be nice and a generous eye box and relief.

I am glad someone sympathizes with my situation. Good glass changes everything!
Absolutely. I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico back in the mid 90's with a good friend of mine. it was a 2 on 1 hunt and he won the coin toss to shoot first. The guide would take us to hay field each morning and we would go in the dark, get set up and wait for first light. I had a 4x16x50 Swarovski and he had a 4x14x52 Leupold.
We could soon make out the shapes of elk in the field. As the minutes went buy I could make out two bulls, a 6x6 and 5x5 at about 120 yards. My friend could not identify the antlers for another 5-7 minutes at which point they were now leaving the field and at over 500 yards. I offered him my rifle when they were at 120 yards and he wouldn't take. We didn't end up with an elk that trip.

BTW, I am taking this same Swarovski to Botswana in 3 weeks and it is as clear now as it was when I purchased it almost 30 years ago.

Absolutely. I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico back in the mid 90's with a good friend of mine. it was a 2 on 1 hunt and he won the coin toss to shoot first. The guide would take us to hay field each morning and we would go in the dark, get set up and wait for first light. I had a 4x16x50 Swarovski and he had a 4x14x52 Leupold.
We could soon make out the shapes of elk in the field. As the minutes went buy I could make out two bulls, a 6x6 and 5x5 at about 120 yards. My friend could not identify the antlers for another 5-7 minutes at which point they were now leaving the field and at over 500 yards. I offered him my rifle when they were at 120 yards and he wouldn't take. We didn't end up with an elk that trip.

BTW, I am taking this same Swarovski to Botswana in 3 weeks and it is as clear now as it was when I purchased it almost 30 years ago.
This is an excellent comparison scenario in low light. Thank you for sharing this great story.
It is what was taught to us at SAAM when comparing glass.
Swarovski will ruin you as there is no comparison especially Z8.
When it comes to glass, when you know, you know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruby

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?