Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Here is a video where I discuss my journey in finding the ultimate DG scope. Bombs away!

Mr. Glass -

Thank you for the excellent review of your journey.

I have one significant disagreement logically. It may be that my thinking is boxed in. I also, with one whole safari, have a tenuous footing position, to say the least, while disagreeing with your greater experience base.

I have been taught here on AH and through my reading, that a PH will not provide/allow a shot longer than 50 yards on DG. Sure, some happen that way, but the solid expectation is for a close range shot at dangerous game. However, you quickly switch the parameters to include PLAINS game at 200 yards - this is not dangerous game hunting. Perhaps you should just state that you are seeking a Swiss army knife scope that can do everything? If that was your premise, then I could wholly/entirely agree with your arrived at choice. I certainly cannot afford it, but see how you got there.

Interesting that you have no cheekrest. I find this critical to align my ocular cavity behind the scope.

I also have switched to fixed rings and a tool in my bag to remove the scope if needed. Never been needed yet - even after the bakkie rolled on the highway and sent my rifle bouncing across the asphalt.

The firedot is an awesome step forward in sighting tools - totally agree.

I seem to be headed down your path - with the Leupold Black Friday sale, I acquired the VX5 3-15x44 with the thoughts of seeing if it will work to fully use the .30-06-like trajectory of the .375 Ruger. With the CDS system, is it possible to have the "one scope to rule them all" set-up on my Goldilocks rifle? It seems to me that it will be possible to effectively reach out to 400 and farther with the .375 Ruger. Other than the cost, it will undoubtedly be a fun journey finding out via going to the range and hunting.

Again - thanks for your views and input. It is valuable for us neophyte hunters to hear what someone with your experience opines.

Phillip,
Great video! Thanks for your insight. Interestingly, I have the Leupold 1-6X24 on my 416 Rigby and the VX6 2-12X42 on my 300 winmag. Both great scopes. I also am a big fan of the red dot scopes and RMR sights. All of my rifles have red dot scopes/sights.

Great video, thank you Sir. I started my hunting career with a 1.5x5 Leupold, now on my .375H&H I have a Leupold VX5 2x10 with the firedot, love the flexibility.

Thank you Philip. Good overview for someone getting started or upgrading. I love Swarovski. My 375HH wears a 1x 8 illuminated and my 404J has a 1-6 illuminated. The red dot is the ticket for very quick aiming. The objective could be a little larger for lowlight situations.

I have been taught here on AH and through my reading, that a PH will not provide/allow a shot longer than 50 yards on DG. Sure, some happen that way, but the solid expectation is for a close range shot at dangerous game. However, you quickly switch the parameters to include PLAINS game at 200 yards - this is not dangerous game hunting. Perhaps you should just state that you are seeking a Swiss army knife scope that can do everything? If that was your premise, then I could wholly/entirely agree with your arrived at choice. I certainly cannot afford it, but see how you got there.

Interesting that you have no cheekrest. I find this critical to align my ocular cavity behind the scope.

I also have switched to fixed rings and a tool in my bag to remove the scope if needed. Never been needed yet - even after the bakkie rolled on the highway and sent my rifle bouncing across the asphalt.

The firedot is an awesome step forward in sighting tools - totally agree.

I seem to be headed down your path - with the Leupold Black Friday sale, I acquired the VX5 3-15x44 with the thoughts of seeing if it will work to fully use the .30-06-like trajectory of the .375 Ruger. With the CDS system, is it possible to have the "one scope to rule them all" set-up on my Goldilocks rifle? It seems to me that it will be possible to effectively reach out to 400 and farther with the .375 Ruger. Other than the cost, it will undoubtedly be a fun journey finding out via going to the range and hunting.

Again - thanks for your views and input. It is valuable for us neophyte hunters to hear what someone with your experience opines.
I haven’t watched Philip’s video yet but I’ve taken 3 buffalo, 2 hippo, and a croc. One was inside 50 yards, most were 50-100 yards, and one was at 150 yards with different PHs in different countries. I’ve never heard of a PH mandate 50 yards, but most are going to get you as close as possible, inside 100 yards there won’t be any discussion if that’s all the closer you can get. Past 100 yards some might insist on getting closer and some might discuss how confident you are on shot.

Thank you Philip. Good overview for someone getting started or upgrading. I love Swarovski. My 375HH wears a 1x 8 illuminated and my 404J has a 1-6 illuminated. The red dot is the ticket for very quick aiming. The objective could be a little larger for lowlight situations.
I had to recheck this post- I thought I must have forgotten writing it as my 375 wears a Swarovski 1-8 and my 404 a 1-6 (EE).

Last edited:
I was the fourth person to watch your video - according to youtube ;-)

A question: When you were using that 1-6x24, did it work for you to shoot it with both eyes open at 1x or did you rarely use it at its lowest setting?

A secondary question: How close to 1x is your 1-6x24 in reality?

If I should summarize the message of your video, it seem to me that you want to use one single scope both for dangerous game and for other hunting opportunities on the same day and therefore you have chosen a compromise that works for different situations.

Here is a video where I discuss my journey in finding the ultimate DG scope. Bombs away!

excellent video! i love my Swaro Z3’s for all but a leopard scope…for that i have the Z5i Swaro which gives me Philip’s illumination yet for $1800 versus the Z8i at $3500. both incredible scopes!

I like my .375 having some versatility.. being able to hunt PG, or bait animals in addition to DG is extremely appealing.. Its had a 1-5x Leupold on it for a long time, but I have given pretty serious consideration to swapping that scope out with a 2-10x or a 2-12x... while I know many will argue how important true 1x is on a DG hunt.. I feel pretty confident that I wouldnt be inhibited by a 2x in any way on an initial shot.. and if we're talking about a follow up shot after the animal has hit the tree line and we're trying to find it, I'd be inclined to remove the scope and go with irons for that anyway.. if we're talking about a charge immediately following the initial shot.. then MAYBE the 1x option is better.. but if Im realistic, the situation is much more likely one of "point and shoot" at very close range with very little time to be screwing around or being worried about if my scope is set to 1x, 2x, 3x, etc..

For my .416 I dont see me ever needing to take an initial shot past 50 yards.. or any follow up shots further than 100 yards.. it is 100% dedicated to DG.. so a 1-5x leupold will stay on top of that rifle.. (zero need for additional magnification..)..

The premise seems to be more of a "take on dangerous game rifles and scope combinations" and outfitting your rifle to be able to take better advantage of opportunities that may not be on dangerous game...

I’ve come to the same conclusion on my 375 H&H. I started with 1.5-5 Leupold vx3. I took two of my buffalo and a hippo with it (all at 5 power). Honestly I never had an issue sighting in at 100 yards. At 300 I wasn’t 100% confident at range but it still printed very nice 3”-4” groups so I had confidence on game. I took plains game with it slightly past 300 yards very successfully. However, I never really used the low power except walking up on downed animal. I put a Leupold VX5 2-10 on it now. I really can’t tell a difference between 1.5 and 2 (can see barrel on both scopes) or 5 and 5, however, I really like the flexibility to 10x. I have no interest in quick detach rings. I’ll make a better shot on low power scope than I ever will with open sights. My 450 Rigby however wears a trijicon red dot. I don’t plan to shoot past 50 yards with the rifle and thought that was the most appropriate sight for an elephant. I really have limited interest in hunting a leopard, so I don’t have illuminated reticles on any of my scopes except for one. I think it’s just one more thing to fail that’s unnecessary, same with range dials. The more simple the scope the happier I am. I don’t care for the heavy Leupold duplex but it’s not a common option. I find the standard Leupold duplex perfect for me. It makes a good contrast to draw your eye to center. Swarovski may have much better glass but I find their crosshairs way too fine. They don’t create a contrast like Leupold does making the illuminated reticle necessary on their scopes in my opinion.

1. I was a bit surprised to learn that illuminated scopes have been around long enough to now be considered "classic".

2. A discussion on "Dangerous Game Scopes" is a tough subject to cover because of the variability of DG types and hunting scenarios. To include non-DG into the scenarios makes the discussion tougher to cover.

3. Thinking more about the subject, I'm wondering if the discussion would be better served with a focus on class 1 vs class 2 DG scenarios.

I tend to agree with you. My family hunted for years with a VXIII 3-10x50. It’s a versatile scope. Many buffalo and cats taken with that setup in addition to hundreds of plains game.

I’m not a fan of the smaller objective and lower magnification on the more traditional dangerous game scopes.

I am also not a fan of detachable mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.