My Second Man Eating Royal Bengal Tiger

Have you ever seen the 180Gr Sellier & Bellot round nosed soft points break apart or distort when striking heavy leopard bones ?

Me, yes. Many of my friends use it, and I did at the beggining of my hunting carrier.

On european wild boars. Fragments often, looses penetration
Similar bullet type that fragments too much is bellot SPCE (Soft point cutting edge), I believe it is same type of lead alloy, very soft.
SPCE (soft point cutting edge), has design (in theory) to make shock effect with fast expansion, and deliver full energy to the animal, without pass through - no exit wound.
Cutting edge of the bullet jacket has purpose to cut the skin and make nice round hole (like wad cutter bullet on paper target), to allow for good blood spoor from entry wound.

In my country, with many rural hunters: bellot SP and bellot SPCE are most popular due to low cost, but also accompanied with occasional wounding and loss of large boars if shot in shoulder bone, or even in rig cage area, as I have described
But because of wide popularity of this bullet based on retail price, the same account for large number of animals taken per year.

moreover, if used for night hunting from high blind, these bullets are very effective because with NV optics, hunters often shoot boars in the head. (every bullet is effective with head shots, bellot Sp and SPCE are no exeption)

But it is less effective on driven hunts, where head shots are only accidental.. this I have seen

Often is the case in similar situation with SP and spce - bellot the lead is swept out from the jacket, and jacket is found in the tissue. this is not supposed to happen.
Above that I mention is related to large percentage of rifles in caliber in range 7 - 8 mm with that bullet. 7-8 mm, are generally fast. Velocity 800 meters/second and more.
I used it at begging of my hunting carrier in 308 win (180 grain) and have witnessed other hunters using it in driven hunts. Soon I changed ammo for above reasons. (tjhen switched to norma oryx, 180 grain, 308 win, much better)

However, on a positive note I was using for several seasons 286 grain round nose soft point by bellot, in 9.3x62. with good effect, shoulder shot to boars, or in driven hunts. The trick is, bullet 9.3 travels at 700 m/s, much slower, so does not fragment (too much) and keeps some mass, and penetrates sufficiently. Usually, pass thorugh on broad side shots in vital area. With 9.3 nothing to complain with europan game
The last lot of 9.3 Sp bellot, did not cicle the bolt on my semi auto rifle in 9.3, and I stopped buying them, for this reason.
lets put it this way: Bellot SP in 7-8 mm, questionable, 9.3 usable for European game, and not recommended for African safari. my point of view

It has to be noted that sellier bellot produces premium ammunition as well, particularly exergy bullet, tipped exergy bullet and they also load nosler partitions.

General local reputation that I hear, and not dispute - of SB is that factory rifle loads are mild, and not overly fast. they also are of lower retail price compared to other makers. Reloaders do not like their casings, cannot make more then very few or less reloads with their casing.

becasue they are cheap, I use bellot FMJ 180 grain (bulk pack) for training in 30-06, shooting from stick. (in sub moa rifle they have accuracy between 1-2 moa, sako 85) for training ok.

Last edited:
Me, yes. Many of my friends use it, and I did at the beggining of my hunting carrier.

On european wild boars. Fragments often, looses penetration
Similar bullet type that fragments too much is bellot SPCE (Soft point cutting edge), I believe it is same type of lead alloy, very soft.
SPCE (soft point cutting edge), has design (in theory) to make shok effect with fast expansion, and deliver full energy to the animal, without pass thorugh - no exit wound.
Cutting edge of the bullet jacket has purpose to cut the skin and make nice round hole (like wad cutter bulleton paper target), to allow for good blood spoor from entry wound.

In my country, with many rural hunters: bellot SP and bellot SPCE are most popular due to low cost, but also accompanied with occasional wounding and loss of large boars if shot in shoulder bone, or even in rig cage area, as I have descrived
But because of wide popularity of this bullet based on retail price, the same account for large number of animals taken per year.

moreover, if used for night hunting from high blind, these bullets are very effective because with NV optics, hunters often shoot boars in the head. (every bullet is effective with head shots, bellot Sp and SPCE are no exeption)

But it is less effective on driven hunts, where head shots are only accidental.. this I have seen

Often is the case in similar situation with SP and spce - bellot the lead is swept out from the jacket, and jacket is found in the tissue. this is not supposed to happen.
Above that I mention is related to large percentage of rifles in caliber in range 7 - 8 mm with that bullet. 7-8 mm, are generally fast. Velocity 800 meters/second or more. I used it at begging of my hunting carrier in 308 win (180 grain) and have witnessed other hunters using it in driven hunts. Soon I changed ammo. (norma oryx, 180 grain, much better)

However,on a positive note I was using for several seasons 286 grain round nose soft point by bellot, in 9.3x62. with good effect, shoulder shot to boars, or in driven hunts. The trick is, bullet 9.3 travels at 700 m/s, much slower, so does not fragment (too much) and keeps some mass, and penetrates sufficiently. Usually, pass thorugh on broad side shots in vital area. With 9.3 nothing to complain with europan game
The last lot of 9.3 Sp bellot, did not cicle the bolt on my semi auto rifle in 9.3, and I stopped buying them, for this reason.
lets put it this way: Bellot SP in 7-8 mm, questionable, 9.3 usable for European game, and not recommended for African safari. my point of view

It has to be noted that sellier bellot produces premium ammunition as well, particularly exergy bullet, tipped exergy bullet and they also load nosler partitions.

General local reputation that I hear, and not dispute - of SB is that factory rifle loads are mild, and not overly fast. they also are of lower retail price compared to other makers. Reload do not like thier casings, cannot make more then very few or less reloads.

becasue they are cheap, I use bellot FMJ 180 grain (bulk pack) for training in 30-06, shooting from stick. (in sub moa rifle they have accuracy between 1-2 moa, sako 85) for training ok.
mark-hunter, you have provided a truly useful insight based on first hand experience. Thank you so much for corroborating what my Indian friends have told me.

By comparison, this is the old (now unfortunately discontinued) Winchester Super-X 175Gr cup & core soft point for the 7x57mm Mauser.
IMG_2745.jpeg

When I shot my final man eating Royal Bengal tiger (broadside shoulder shot) with one of these bullets in 1989, the bullet completely smashed & broke through the gigantic animal’s scapula and penetrated into one of the lungs (where it mushroomed perfectly). I guess that the lead alloy in the old Winchester Super-X soft point cartridges was more strongly constructed than the lead alloy in the Sellier & Bellot soft point cartridges.
IMG_1512.jpeg

In the past, I have also used Sellier & Bellot 175Gr Nosler Partition cartridges in 7x57mm Mauser caliber with great success. But due to the extreme difficulty in being able to source Nosler Partition bullets for the last 4 years… Sellier & Bellot has unfortunately ceased loading their cartridges with these projectiles in recent years.

Last edited:
Bapu, I have a small question. My Indian friends who cull blue bulls with .30-06 Springfield caliber rifles (using the 180Gr Sellier & Bellot round nosed soft points) tell me that the bullet often distorts (i.e the copper jacket & lead core breaks apart and separates) upon striking heavy bones (like the shoulder bone or scapula).

I am fully aware that leopards (170-200 LB) are obviously far lighter framed than blue bulls (635-680 LB)… but still.

Have you ever seen the 180Gr Sellier & Bellot round nosed soft points break apart or distort when striking heavy leopard bones ?
Habib Saheb you have put it very correctly that on blue blues and even wild boars S&B break up many a times. But on leopards they don’t have weight retention as much as one would expect.
In the last picture I have posted you must have noticed that it was a headshot and the bullet passed through.

I use .308 Norma factory with 180 grain Nosler Partition on antelope in Africa...numerous animal like impala, kudu, wildebeest and zebra.. I used .375H&H earlier but a well placed shot with this ammo is sufficent. A friend in Botswana took a male leopard (67.5kg) with this round lately..

On eland I would prefer a 9,3 or equivalent..

I think this Norma .308 ammo should be good for wild boar too..but I prefer my double 9.3x74R on those..

I use .308 Norma factory with 180 grain Nosler Partition on antelope in Africa...numerous animal like impala, kudu, wildebeest and zebra.. I used .375H&H earlier but a well placed shot with this ammo is sufficent. A friend in Botswana took a male leopard (67.5kg) with this round lately..

On eland I would prefer a 9,3 or equivalent..

I think this Norma .308 ammo should be good for wild boar too..but I prefer my double 9.3x74R on those..
Unfortunately we don’t have excess to premium ammunition here in India.
Beggars are no choosers sir.

I have only shot Spce 8x57 many years ago on paper and wet packs . They were designed for driven hunts / monteria . Woundchannel was 3-4 finger wide and splintered .

CE stands for Cutting Edge to make the is of where bullet hit on hair / fur dropping off .

I have only shot Spce 8x57 many years ago on paper and wet packs . They were designed for driven hunts / monteria . Woundchannel was 3-4 finger wide and splintered .

CE stands for Cutting Edge to make the is of where bullet hit on hair / fur dropping off .
Unfortunately in India ammunition more commonly available is S&B soft points and PPU soft points.
Unless you are lucky to pickup some old silvertips

And with Serbia ban on export ammo and weapons for the time being . for several reasons scrounge ppu what you can find

This was a great recount of your amazing experience. In modern day, you often don't hear of too many tales like yours. You have certainly had an occupation worth writing about and I look forward to hearing more stories from your harrowing adventures. Thank you for sharing.

mark-hunter, you have provided a truly useful insight based on first hand experience. Thank you so much for corroborating what my Indian friends have told me.

By comparison, this is the old (now unfortunately discontinued) Winchester Super-X 175Gr cup & core soft point for the 7x57mm Mauser.
View attachment 559441
When I shot my final man eating Royal Bengal tiger (broadside shoulder shot) with one of these bullets in 1989, the bullet completely smashed & broke through the gigantic animal’s scapula and penetrated into one of the lungs (where it mushroomed perfectly). I guess that the lead alloy in the old Winchester Super-X soft point cartridges was more strongly constructed than the lead alloy in the Sellier & Bellot soft point cartridges.
View attachment 559442

In the past, I have also used Sellier & Bellot 175Gr Nosler Partition cartridges in 7x57mm Mauser caliber with great success. But due to the extreme difficulty in being able to source Nosler Partition bullets for the last 4 years… Sellier & Bellot has unfortunately ceased loading their cartridges with these projectiles in recent years.

Mr Habib,
I have used Sellier and Bellot 7mm 175 grain Cut Edge bullets of recent manufacture on large feral hogs at very close range and they held together well and exited on broadside shoulder shots. They killed incapacitated instantly and killed very quickly.
This was out of a 7x57R and a 7x65R. I think S and B may have toughened these bullets up in the last couple of years because performance was about like Nosler Partitions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.