My new JDJ 600 NE Ruger No.1 answers the question - Is "BIGGER" really better?

Hello bebo,

I don't believe the words "too powerful" are in my vocabulary.

still waiting on a range report... any updates?

-matt

Hello matt85,

My results with lead bullets was mediocre. I ordered some .620 dia Hawk 650g jacketed bullets. They came yesterday. I hope to have some targets to post soon.

I'm in charge of controlling all the Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo populations here in central Wisconsin. So far I've been doing pretty good.

I saw a report of a rouge elephant terrorizing Wisconsin Rapids. Better get going! :)

Hello tarbe,

I didn't see that ... Where can I find it?

I think the recoil system is a major factor in recoil reduction. A similar load in one of my doubles, kicks like a mule, the 600 does not.

I don't think the muzzle brake does much at lower velocities. It takes "high speed" gases to make it function.

The gases are escaping at roughly the same velocity as usual (around 7,000 fps). The issue is the weight of the projectile versus the weight of the powder charge. Muzzle brakes are most effective when the weight (mass) of the charge is a significant fraction of the weight (mass) of the projectile. This is simple Newtonian mechanics and is why brakes are, generally speaking, less effective when hurling gigantic chunks of lead.

a standing ovation for this gentleman.

Hello Royal27,

If you're going for something special, go for bigger than 458 Lott. I'd suggest " a Lott bigger".

Hello Rob44,

I'm in charge of controlling all the Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo populations here in central Wisconsin. So far I've been doing pretty good.

I agree Buck....I have a Brno 602 in .458Win. and considered a Lott, but it is about to become a .500 Jeffery instead...for shooting ele at close ranges..

I would love to top with a double in .577 or .600 NE as well....them elephants are darn big at close ranges...

Soooooo anymore range reports? Considering having my no1 458 lott converted to 577ne or 600jdj.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg