My new JDJ 600 NE Ruger No.1 answers the question - Is "BIGGER" really better?

buckstix

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
Hello All,

I thought to share with you my latest "fun-gun" addition to my Dangerous Game Rifle collection. I first found this cute little rifle for sale on Auction Arms starting a few months ago. After several bidding attempts were made that didn't meet reserve, and after several subsequent re-listings by the seller, the seller and I finally came to terms, and this little cutie came to live with me here in Wisconsin.

You may ask; "why" did I want this? Well, when I first saw the Auction Arms advertisement for this rifle, I immediately fell in love with the "look" of it. The strange contradictions of its features is truly remarkable. On one hand you have the Sleek & Elegant Styling and Finish of the rifle, offset by the Harsh Monolithic Additions attached to each end - that being the Huge Muzzle Brake at the front end, and the Mechanical Shock Absorber System at the back end. Once you start, you just can't stop looking at it. Its like watching a Beautiful, Graceful Ballerina performing the Swan Lake ballet, while wearing a Football Helmet, and a pair of Russian Combat Boots. Those unorthodox features, and knowing I could kill anything from Jurassic Park, made me want to own it.

jdj2.jpg

jdj3.jpg

jdj4.jpg

jdj5.jpg

jdj6.jpg

This 600 is one of JD Jones' creations from about 15 years ago. JD wanted to put the power of a 600 Nitro Express, into aa affordable Custom Ruger No.1 Tropical. Although the 600JDJ caliber is actually a 577/600 wildcat cartridge, (577 NE opened to 600) its case capacity is exactly the same as a standard 600 NE, but with the head dimension being reduced by .035" and the case length being slightly increased with a slightly smaller rim dia. So, why not then just chamber the Ruger in 600NE? That extra .035" barrel wall thickness and the smaller rim dia., adds a lot of strength to the finished rifle.

jdj1.jpg

I inspected the rifle carefully when I received it. It was a Ruger Tropical from the year 2000, built by SSK Industries in 2001. It was only the 4th 600 JDJ rifle back then, with less than 10 being built to date. Although the rifle was listed in the ad as "test-fired" only, upon inspection, the lack of even a trace of powder residue in any of the muzzle brake crevices, leads me to believe it was actually "unfired". However, it didn't remain so for very long.

My first order of business was to get dies, brass and bullets on order. Bullets from Hawk were available, but with a 4 week lead time. They are on order, and waiting. Dies were in stock from CH4D and they have arrived. I found some A-Square 577NE brass, and it has also arrived.

Although custom lead bullet molds are available in the needed .620 dia., there was a long lead time of 2 - 6 weeks depending on the source. So instead of waiting, I purchased a used brass 58 cal mold on ebay. This was a 505g hollow base mold. I opened up the cavity from .575 dia. to .620 dia. with my lathe. This project went well because the cavity in this bullet mold is very big. Its easy to use a small boring bar and also see inside the cavity as you're cutting. I removed the hollow base plug to increase bullet weight, and I enlarged each of the bullet's 3 bands to .624 dia. When finished, the mold cast a flat base 630g bullet in .622 dia. This would be perfect for fire-forming the cases, and developing a "fun load" for plinking, if you can say "plinking and 650g bullet" in the same sentence. Proper bullet weight for this 600 caliber is 900g.

jdj8.jpg

jdj9.jpg

I had obtained a few sample bullets from Hawk which I also loaded. They are shown below along side a standard .308 Winchester cartridge for comparison. This rifle weighs-in at just a tad under 9-1/2 pounds. Quite a bit light for a 600 Nitro which should weigh over 15 pounds. I added a 1.75-5X scope which brought the weight up to 10 pounds 4 ounces. With a cartridge in the chamber, it weighed just over 10-1/2 pounds. I sure hope the recoil reducing features make up for the missing 5 pounds. The scope I added has a very long eye relief - a real must on a heavily recoiling rifle. I put together some test loads using 4759 and my 630g cast lead bullets lubed with liquid alox, and headed for the range.

jdj7.jpg

The trip to the range resulted in 25 nicely fire-formed cases ready for a second go-around, and a mild headache. Pressures seemed light with the F215 primers showing rounded edges and cases being easily extracted. However, I must admit that I underestimated my starting load for fire-forming. What I thought would be a mild load, actually chronographed at 2000 fps with the little 630g bullet. This equates to just over 5,500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and about 10% more powerful than a factory .458 Winchester Magnum. I'm sure glad this little cutie has "ugly" at both ends.

With an intended "Full-House" load of 1900 fps with a 900g bullet, I'm hoping everything goes equally well. If any of the other nine 600 JDJ owners rifle are out there, I'd like to hear form them.

Attachments

• jdj9.jpg
    jdj9.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 519
  • jdj3.jpg
    jdj3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 476
  • jdj4.jpg
    jdj4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,004
  • jdj5.jpg
    jdj5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 534
  • jdj6.jpg
    jdj6.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 406
  • jdj7.jpg
    jdj7.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 509
  • jdj1.jpg
    jdj1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 835
  • jdj8.jpg
    jdj8.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 392
  • jdj2.jpg
    jdj2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,273
Thanks, quite a story! Congrats on the gun, I'm sure you will have a good time shooting!

That's one serious big bore Buckstix, congrats, BUT a 900gn slug at 1900fps :eyecrazy:
Your a better man than I Gungadin !!

Having recently fired half a box of .577's (750gn @ 2050fps) from a much heavier gun than yours I can safely say this gun would prove TOO much fun for me.
That's not to say that for at least once i'd like to sneak in close to an unsuspecting buff and unleash on him with this beauty.

Awesome looking rifle, congrats again !

All I can say is "Star Wars"

:rolleyes:

All I can say is "Star Wars"

:rolleyes:

chewbaccas in trouble then , hey
buckstix that is one mad looking firearm .:fear:

..you'll never have to worry about any plaque on your teeth again, mate.. :biggrin2:

That's one serious big bore Buckstix, congrats, BUT a 900gn slug at 1900fps
Your a better man than I Gungadin !!

Hello PaulT,

I'm hoping that the Muzzle-Brake at the front, and Recoil Arrester at the rear, do their job at swallowing the recoil; because I don't want to.

Holy smokes! Where do you live and can I come over and shoot it? :eek:

That is probably one of the nicest looking no.1's I have ever seen. I agree (for your sake) that the recoil reduction systems in place do their job. I have only owned 2 no.1's in the past and one was in 458 win mag, think I would have rather been blindsided by a concrete truck... It had the old truck tire recoil pad though. It's stock cracked and I traded it for a 375 H&H after about a month of owning it.

You will keep us posted with accuracy results and how well the recoil system works, won't you? I am very curious about those aspects.

Hello 35bore,

Yes, I really love the look of it. I just ordered a shell boot to add 6 loaded cartridges to the overall weight. The 6 cartridges will add 1 pound, which will reduce felt recoil by over 10 pounds.

Unfortunately they only had black in stock, but here is a mock-up in brown.

jdj10.jpg

Attachments

• jdj10.jpg
    jdj10.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 821
any update to this story? im curious how things went shooting the full house loads. or are you no longer posting because the recoil detached yer retinas?;)

-matt

any update to this story? im curious how things went shooting the full house loads. or are you no longer posting because the recoil detached yer retinas?;)

-matt

Hello matt85,

I've been shooting my lead bullet loads with varied success. Groups have been inconsistant.

I should have my jacketed bullets in a day or so, and will update when I've tried them.

VERY NICE, and I speak from experience! I have a JDJ No1 in 577Nitro.

A couple of questions? Do you have any issues with cases catching on the safety when they eject? On mine if I hold it flat they catch; but if I angle it up (say 30 degrees) as if Im ejecting the case while its still elevated from recoil, then its fine. Also how do you like the recoil system in the stock? Im torn because on the one hand it works and on the other hand, its not my cup of tea on an African Rifle.

Mine doesnt have the muzzle break. The buttstock shell holder looks nice. Who made it? That might solve my stock issue

Funny thing is I sold the rifle to buy a Merkel 470 SxS; then decided I missed it too much and bought it back. I havent hunted with it YET. I had planned to take it for a Wild Boar hunt (just cuz I could); but on the day of the hunt there was a down pour so I took something eles, that I wasnt as attached toooooo

Hello EDELWEISS,

My safety button acts exactly the same as you describe. When I tighten the safety spring to produce "more" forceful ejection, it will eject every time, but the action works against the spring tension and it too "rough", so I put it back to a lower tension.

I think the recoil system is a major factor in recoil reduction. A similar load in one of my doubles, kicks like a mule, the 600 does not.

I don't think the muzzle brake does much at lower velocities. It takes "high speed" gases to make it function.

The shell holder is made by "Ross Leather Company" in Florida. Cost around $100. The added weight reduces recoil a bit, but only by about 10 ft pounds of recoil. Not near as much as the stock shock absorber system does.

I've bought back a few rifles over the years for the same reason.
I think I would have kept mine dry also.

I like it a lot. My Hawk 650g hollow point jackets bullets should be arriving next week. I'll let you know how they do.

Holy smokes! Where do you live and can I come over and shoot it? :eek:

This!!!!

That rifle looks amazing.... I agree that it is the prettiest number one that I've ever seen. I am on he verge of becoming a big bore junkie.... I bought my .375 for buff and was surprised at the "mild" recoil. Then I got to shoot a .470 NE and you couldn't wipe the grin off of my face (I have video to prove it!). Since I can't afford a double I'm looking at a .458 Lott for now. But that rifle you have... Wow!!!!

Fantastic looking Rifle,,,I'm sure the defense department will be in contact with you shortly to act as an additional deterrent for taking out any incoming Russian or North Korean ICBMs

Hello Royal27,

If you're going for something special, go for bigger than 458 Lott. I'd suggest " a Lott bigger".

Hello Rob44,

I'm in charge of controlling all the Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo populations here in central Wisconsin. So far I've been doing pretty good.

The upper Midwest is a safer place thanks to you

Yes, I do my best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber