My new arrival

They have one that will mount on a Weaver base. If they have one that will fit a Mauser 98 receiver, I do not see it.

Thanks much to @AZDAVE and @Shootist43 for the recommendation.

Do you guys reckon this to be an adequate base: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/687855/weaver-grand-slam-top-mount-scope-base-s45-matte
I purchased a weaver grand slam base for one of my pre-war model 70s. The base was shoddy to say the least. Ring would not mount straight and level. Had to work it over with a file for some time to get the ring to mount proper. In the end decided not to use it. Maybe was just a fluke?

Read the description of the rifle for which the S45 base is intended. I think you will see it is for the "Small Ring" Mauser. I think you need the Weaver "45" base, it is for the "Large Ring" Mauser that your Zastava most likely is. Midway currently has this mount on sale.

the S45 is listed as the rear base for Mauser 98-FN. Isn't that a large ring Mauser?

I purchased a weaver grand slam base for one of my pre-war model 70s. The base was shoddy to say the least. Ring would not mount straight and level. Had to work it over with a file for some time to get the ring to mount proper. In the end decided not to use it. Maybe was just a fluke?

That wouldn't be cool. Planning on mounting a NECG aperture sight on it.

No the Weaver S45 is for the "small ring Mauser" I think that is what the "S" stands for.

The base for a large ring Mauser is the # 45

Attachments

• weaver_mounts_chart.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 491
Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to be missing the point. the S45 base is not the one you need. It is for a Small Ring Mauser like the 1896 Swede. You need a Weaver #45 for a Large Ring Mauser which I believe your rifle is.

I'm certainly open to being in error, but the way I read their table is the model 45 and S45 are both rear bases for large ring mauser, and the 46 and S46 are both rear bases for small ring mauser.

Call Brownell's Technical Department, tell them what you want and they will tell you which base to get.

45 and S45 will both work - checked with weaver, brownell's, and midway. the 45 is aluminum, S45 is steel, both large ring and 0.500" center-to-center. no way am I getting aluminum.

so...Weaver, Warne, or (assuming it'll accept the NECG Weaver peep), Talley? I'm waiting to hear back from Talley.

Gonna rain this weekend, so I guess I'll be on the reloading bench.

The full size NECG peep backsight is made in versions to fit:
Ruger (M77?, No. 1?);
Brno Model 21, ZG 47, ZKK 600/601/602 and CZ 550; and
Weaver bases.

A smaller version was introduced several? years ago, to suit:
Brno ZKW 465, Fox and CZ 527. That sight may also be usable on Tikka and Lynx rifles but I have not heard of anyone trying it.

The full size NECG peep backsight is made in versions to fit:
Ruger (M77?, No. 1?);
Brno Model 21, ZG 47, ZKK 600/601/602 and CZ 550; and
Weaver bases.

A smaller version was introduced several? years ago, to suit:
Brno ZKW 465, Fox and CZ 527. That sight may also be usable on Tikka and Lynx rifles but I have not heard of anyone trying it.

I'll have to get the sight that mounts on the Weaver-style base. I think I'm going to order the Warne this weekend, just in case I decide I want to mount a scope on it at some point in the future, Warne bases come as a pair.

9.3x62 nice calibre. I was considering purchasing the PSS model in that calibre as well.
You need to shoot it upside down so the bolt works the correct way LOL
I have a Zastava M70 PSS in 7x64. Granted it's a bit "clunky" but shoots great.
I also have a Interarms Mark X in 7x57 that is a really nice shooter as well.
The Weaver bases that fit my 7x57 Zastava are 45 & 46
If going the scope route as suggestion maybe something in a 1.5-6. Whichever scope you choose just be careful that you don't run out of elevation when shooting heavy cal bullets. This was mentioned to me by the Leupold tech when I questioned him about putting their VX3 1.75-6x32 on my CZ 550 in 9.3x62

Last edited:
NO, the bolts are on the right side.

DSCN9990 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
9.3x62 nice calibre. I was considering purchasing the PSS model in that calibre as well.
You need to shoot it upside down so the bolt works the correct way LOL
I have a Zastava M70 PSS in 7x64. Granted it's a bit "clunky" but shoots great.
I also have a Interarms Mark X in 7x57 that is a really nice shooter as well.
The Weaver bases that fit my 7x57 Zastava are 45 & 46
If going the scope route as suggestion maybe something in a 1.5-6. Whichever scope you choose just be careful that you don't run out of elevation when shooting heavy cal bullets. This was mentioned to me by the Leupold tech when I questioned him about putting their VX3 1.75-6x32 on my CZ 550 in 9.3x62

Unless I take it way up in the mountains after elk or something, I'll probably call it a day at 300 yards with it.

If I sight it in a little over 4" high at 100 yards, that puts my MPBR out to ~265 yards for deer and pigs. That would put me just south of 5' of holdover at 500 yards, with right at a ton of energy. I reckon that's probably good enough for anything I might hunt in NA short of Kodiaks, but still plenty of juice for Kodiaks inside 300 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg