My new AHR DGR in 404 Jeffery is in the way.....

sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
With all of the talk and musings, on this forum and elsewhere, over the last several months of the history, effectiveness, manageable recoil, and downright "cool factor"of the 404 Rimless Nitro Express (a.k.a. 404 Jeffery) cartridge, I decided I really "needed" a rifle chambered for this cartridge. Having owned several rifles that were built by Wayne Jacobson at American Hunting Rifles, I had no doubt that he was the one I wanted to build it. We decided to base the rifle off of his standard action that he uses for his dangerous game rifles, the CZ 550 Magnum. The project was started almost a year ago.

The specs are the following:

AHR DGR series rifle in 404 Jeffery
CZ 550 Magnum Action trued and polished
Premium Chrome-Moly barrel cut and crowned at 23 inches and in a magnum sporter contour
Weibe one-piece bottom metal and magazine box
AHR trigger set at 3.5 lbs
AHR 3-position (Winchester style) safety
NECG hooded front sight with ivory bead
NECG masterpiece rear sight island with folding express leaves
Barrel band front sling swivel and inletted rear sling swivel
Deep satin blued finish
Jeweled bolt
Nitre Blue Extractor
AAA+ grade English walnut with deep marbling and rich color along with a Macassar ebony fore-end tip, shadow line cheekpiece, and wrap around checkering with Fleur-de-Lis and ribbons accents
Steel grip cap
Red recoil pad
Matching satin blued Talley 30 mm rings

The rifle was built to weigh between 10-11 lbs with a scope (Leupold VX-6 1-4 x 20 and FireDot reticle)

My plan is shoot 0.423, 400 grain North Fork Semi-spitzer "softs" and North Fork Cup Point Solids at around 2400 fps, and Wayne made sure the rifle would feed those bullets.

As I've said on here before, I think for the price, Wayne's work as far as function and aesthetics is as good as any in the custom (semi-custom) arena. Certainly, these rifles may not be on the level of a "bespoke" rifle, but I think if one is in the market for a rifle that is absolutely trust worthy in the execution of it's intended job, and that looks good doing said job, they could not go wrong by talking to Wayne at AHR. Needless to say, I am a big fan.....

The rifle is set to ship out in the next few days, but I was sent a few "teaser" pics to tide me over.......

So, it's off to the reloading bench to start loading up some rounds. If anyone out there has any experience with loading the 400 grain NF SS and CPS for the 404 Jeffery, I'd be curious as to what your load recipes were for it....

My intention is to take this rifle with me to Tanzania next year, along with my AHR 9.3x62 (Mauser) for Cape Buffalo, Leopard, and plains game.......

IMG_2094.jpg
IMG_2095.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg

That is one beauty of a rifle you got yourself. Congrats it came out amazing and if it shoots as good as it looks you will not be missing anything.

Very nice, congrats on the new rifle! Now I really "need or maybe its want" one!

reedy0312,

Notice I quoted the word "needed".....

I "needed" all of the rifles I own.......at least that's what I always tell my wife, but her BS meter is set to very sensitive, so usually she just rolls her eyes........and then hands me the bill for a new pair of shoes or new purse she "needed".....:LOL:

Beautiful stock! I should be developing loads soon for my "wife's" .404J. And the North Fork bullets will be part of that.

I should be developing loads soon for my "wife's" .404J. And the North Fork bullets will be part of that.

Phil,

I'd love to hear what you come up with.....

Wayne puts together a fantastic rifle! Had him upgrade my 375H&H and I absolutely love it. Once I get back from South Africa this fall I'll be ordering one of his big game rifles to accompany it.

May I ask how much was it to create this beautiful rifle?

Phil,

I'd love to hear what you come up with.....

I've got some 350gr Peregrine Bushmaster's coming sooner or later. Local shop that sources them says 6-8 weeks. Still need to get brass and dies. So it's a little way out. But as mentioned I'll be developing 400gr NF loads too, just in case I "need" to use the rifle.

Congrats on your newest toy.

WOW, what is there not to like about that? As you said, it may not be a "bespoke" rifle but it works and looks pretty. If you don't mind sharing the data, us "po" boys, myself included, would like to know how much that beauty set you back?

Now THAT is a beautiful thing!! Kevin

AHR does some fine work, congratulations on your new rifle!

-matt

May I ask how much was it to create this beautiful rifle?

I was on the site and the posted prices are incredibly reasonable. That's a great looking rifle.

:rolleyes:
I've got some 350gr Peregrine Bushmaster's coming sooner or later. Local shop that sources them says 6-8 weeks. Still need to get brass and dies. So it's a little way out. But as mentioned I'll be developing 400gr NF loads too, just in case I "need" to use the rifle.
I love the peregrine in .375. Don't think you will be disappointed.

No idea what the deal is with the face. I didn't put it on there!

I don't mind sharing the price, as they are posted on AHR's website,

For this rifle, the cost was $6650.00

The base price is appx $6200.00 for a AAA walnut stocked rifle. Extras like Fleur-De-Lis and ribbons accents, Exhibition grade walnut, Quarter-ribs, etc. are, of course, more. When I say a bespoke rifle, I'm talking about the Rolls-Royce treatment so to speak. Stock measurements like LOP, DAC, DAH, cast-off, grip diameter, grip pitch, cheekpiece location, etc completely measured for the customer and built into the stock, extensive engraving, top notch Mauser clone actions like Satterlee, Prechtl, Granite Mountain, etc. Wayne can do that I am certain, but it will cost you. His rifles are CZ based, and then given his treatment that makes them shine.

His premium barrels are either McGowen, Kreiger, Lilja, etc.

He uses a lot of Duane Weibe's components like bottom metal, grip caps, magazine boxes, etc.

Sights, barrel bands, etc., are usually NECG

Triggers and safeties are of his design

Decelerator recoil pads, but I'm sure he could leather covered if so desired....

I am such a big fan of his work, that I'm going to let him build me a 7x57 (Mauser) Mannlicher stocked rifle based off a pristine BRNO .vz 24 action he acquired and sold to me. It will have exhibition grade walnut, detailed but tasteful Germanic style engraving, a Weibe steel butt plate and grip cap, steel foreend/muzzle cap, bail hitch sling swivel, butterknife bolt handle, etc., etc. This one will take a while for me to accumulate enough funds to pay for, but the process has started in that we are acquiring components for the build. I've always wanted a Mannlicher stocked rifle and this will be a "beaut" when it's completed. Probably a year out more, but it's fun planning it.....

http://americanhuntingrifles.com

Isn't that price closer to 1/3rd than 1/2 of the cost of a "premium / bespoke" rifle?

What kind of groups are you getting from your other American Hunting Rifles?

Am I correct in assuming that you have no feeding issues with the CZ actions?

What kind of groups are you getting from your other American Hunting Rifles?

Am I correct in assuming that you have no feeding issues with the CZ actions?

His rifles have always shot very well as long as I can do my part, as well as find a good load. MOA to Sub-MOA at DGR ranges, and usually not very hard to find a load that works well...

As far as the feeding issues, that's the big thing Wayne does. He trues the action and works over the feed rails and ramp to make these CZ actions feed like they should to begin with....and then some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.