My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

As I recall, once I got an opening between the plastic finish and the wood, water was the best way to get it off. by letting water seep between the plastic and the wood it would break the seal and the plastic could be peeled off (sort of).

All sanded with 440 Grit and finished off with extra fine steel wool then rinsed off a let it dry o-nite. today I'll apply a sealer then Gunstock stain, then I have to figure out how to finish it. Iv'e tried all types of finishes on other stocks , Linseed, Tru Oil, Poly etc
IMG_1209.jpg

Now's not the time to get in a hurry. The last 2 I refinished got 10 coats of Tru-Oil each with a steel wool (0000 I think) rub out between each coat. Both have held up well and look good enough for the girl I go with.

Somewhere around here I have a recipe for Tru-Oil and Armorall. It sounds good, but I haven't tried it on anything.

All sanded with 440 Grit and finished off with extra fine steel wool then rinsed off a let it dry o-nite. today I'll apply a sealer then Gunstock stain, then I have to figure out how to finish it. Iv'e tried all types of finishes on other stocks , Linseed, Tru Oil, Poly etcView attachment 160612
I can recommend a great high gloss finish. Having done alot of stocks. I'm a former pro surfer and surfboard builder and shipwright

This stock hear will last a very long time in this condition. I did this for the neighbor kid. The products used can be purchased at any local Walmart

Appreciate the suggestions, but I'm way more of an old school, hand rubbed oil finish guy. They are just more work than I'd thought they would be.

After You are down to the wood and ready to go plus what ever stain you choose. With the foam brush use the stuff in the paint can. If you start early in the morning by dinner you can sand for another coat before you go to bed. Important, sand in one direction from end to end. Try to avoid circular or scattered pattern sanding. Long end to end strokes. Paint the spar varnish on the same way. Long end to end passes with the brush. So you do this as many times as you want. Depending on how thick you want that glassed over finish. Then the last coat use the spray. Now the spray is the same stuff but it does have other chemicals in it so. You can coat it several times within a hour of each other. If you go past a hour. You will have to wait a long time for final cure. A week or 2 or 3 before you will be able to sand for another application to spray the orange peel out. So when you reach the spray stage dedicate time, 1/2 day or so. Cause the propellent in the spray takes weeks to harden

Spar varnish will flex, expand, protect and water proof. It's available in satin as well for the oil finish look. Wooden yachts I've built and surfboards get the treatment. It's designed to be in sunlight, water, salt water. Spar in spar varnish is a boat part for those who aren't sailors. And the gaffs and mast, booms rudder's, tiller, decking. All get coats of this stuff and can last quite a while depending on conditions. A stock in a rifle bag almost indefinitely

I can recommend a great high gloss finish. Having done alot of stocks. I'm a former pro surfer and surfboard builder and shipwright
I'd be interested in your recipe, I wouldn't mind trying something new as i've done maybe a 1/2 dozen stocks with good success but the gloss would be keeping true to the original finish, I just applied my first coat of Gunstock finish which appears to be real close to the original color

I'd be interested in your recipe, I wouldn't mind trying something new as i've done maybe a 1/2 dozen stocks with good success but the gloss would be keeping true to the original finish, I just applied my first coat of Gunstock finish which appears to be real close to the original color
I understand wanting the oil finish. It has more of a raw wood grain texture surface. Tru oil can be built up to a very thick shiny grain filled finish. I was kinda just putting the other out there for others who might be interested. Using my experience with boats and surfboards have been great with gunstocks. The time, effort, results and durability seems to be the issues discussed with refinishing stocks in discussions I've had about the subject. A guy who's been doing his stocks inland somewhere his whole life perhaps has never been exposed to the requirements a shipwright has. The last boat I built was sold for 180k so it has to be perfect, on schedule and built well. In sorts someone's life can be on the line when out to sea. We are talking finish hear and really supposed to be 35 Whelen. But I just wanted to express my experiences. Cause alot of bullsh*t is said online sometimes. So I wanted to offer you what qualifies my opinion.

Well I decided to try the Spar Varnish I idea, but after looking at the gloss finish I opted for the Semi Gloss look
IMG_1216.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg

I took it to the range on Sunday just to get a feel for it,ran some rounds down range and got it on paper I'm not nuts about a 5# trigger but it breaks clean, I see a Timney in the future, at 8.5lbs this this Guy is a bit of a Thumper, I'd rate just South of my 375HH and a bit more than my 06. I'll measure Muzzle velocity and post up a target next Sunday weather permitting, and thanks for the compliments on the stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois