Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Put a ammo sleeve on the stock with 9 or 10 rounds in it and five rounds in the gun, that will add plenty of weight to reduce the felt recoil.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Put a ammo sleeve on the stock with 9 or 10 rounds in it and five rounds in the gun, that will add plenty of weight to reduce the felt recoil.
And Hide that beautiful stock I just finished:)

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Still off topic. I now use Gilly Stephenson's Gun polish on any wooden stocks. Seals the pours and the wood does not move. Looks good. Also use it on the metal parts. Rain runs off and no rust in high humidity areas.

Art Lambart II

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
And Hide that beautiful stock I just finished:)
Well yes, a rifle that feels good always shoots better that a rifle that looks good. If your rifle feels good and looks good great but if recoil is an issue and causes you to shoot poorly the easiest thing to do is add weight to the gun to help tame the recoil.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Well yes, a rifle that feels good always shoots better that a rifle that looks good. If your rifle feels good and looks good great but if recoil is an issue and causes you to shoot poorly the easiest thing to do is add weight to the gun to help tame the recoil.
My Whelen is a bit of a Thumper but suppose I could put a Recoil Reducer in the stock, or take my 404Jeff along, a few down range with that and my Whelen will become a joy to shoot

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
At that length the bullet must be hanging on to the case mouth by its toenails!:rolleyes::D
It does stick out there a bit but I have no trouble. I like to seat bullets close to rifleing and I seated first round long to just to get an idea where they were tried it it did not hit them so I made 4 more and went to the range fired them and they have been that length since good group good feeding don't fix it if it isn't broken I figured. Probably killed 15-20 deer never had one go more than 5 yards until my son shoot a doe on the run that went about 25-30 yards I couldn't believe it he took out both shoulders and lungs plus made a mess of arteries to the heart she kinda plowed snow the whole way to the end.
I think she was so amped up on adrenaline that she didn't know she was dead.

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Well the 35 Whelen is done I think it turned out great, I finished it up with some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and some Howard Feed and Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, the first range trip was OK, just getting it on paper at 150 yds second trip will be to tighten it up a little
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
It is a beautiful job.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I can recommend a great high gloss finish. Having done alot of stocks. I'm a former pro surfer and surfboard builder and shipwright
A shipwright you say? Did that myself for nearly 30 years here in WA. See, we do have something in common, LOL. :D:eek::rolleyes:

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
It is a beautiful job.
Thanks I just topped it off with some New leupold Glass, loaded up some fresh Rounds, can't wait for some range time tomorrow

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Just back from the range and accuracy looks promising, but 55s of IMR 4895 only nets 2276Fps with the 250g bullets so this week I,ll loads some rounds with RL15 and Win 748 and give it another go, also I finally contacted Remington and my rifle was just a run of the mill 35Whelen built in September of 1989 so much for a rare one off so I guess I'll stop giving it Celebrity status in my Gun closet:)

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
You can elevate the status soon as you bag that first trophy with it.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Take a look at the Barnes loading data for 225 Gr TSX using 59 Gr. of 4064. I did and enjoyed the results. My gun isn't as "pretty" as yours but the Laminated stock on mine added some weight and because of some shoulder damage I sustained over 40 years ago I had a muzzle brake installed. The rifle is shown in my avatar, The BWB went about 40 yards and "piled-up."

colorado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Nice rifle I'm a fan of the Rem 700s. A BLR in 35 Whelen would be nice too!

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.