My dream rifle is a

TroyF

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My dream rifle has always been a double rifle, I am a big mauser bolt action fan not just the 98s but have many of there bolts from 1891s to the m18 I've got, I really like the 71-71/84 mausers As well. I like most crf rifles as well.
But the rifle of my dreams has always been a double rifle, I've not owned any, I've shot a h&h when I was a kid and have ever since wanted on. Unfortunately I don't ha d the money for any, even the cheap bakals or others are to much and are not the quality of a real double.

my only hope to owning one is a old gun that needs work but I've never really seen any for sale here in the us. The rifle next on the list are drillings, I've seen some old ones for sale under $1000 and would like one of them one day as well.

the best chance chance for me owning a double is probably building one from a sxs shotgun, I know how to do some gunsmithing and it would be a cool project to try. Even a muzzleloading double would be very cool.

Please share you guns at least I can drool over them lol. Thanks. Troy.

Dont feel bad. Only double I have owned was one of those goofy Russian/Remington .45-70 Spartans with the silly little barrel bending jacking wheel ( jackwagon!) between the barrels for regulation.
I shot the heck out of it and it shot respectably well for what it was.
However I have never really bit the dust on having another double. Just not my thing I guess.

Dont feel bad. Only double I have owned was one of those goofy Russian/Remington .45-70 Spartans with the silly little barrel bending jacking wheel ( jackwagon!) between the barrels for regulation.
I shot the heck out of it and it shot respectably well for what it was.
However I have never really bit the dust on having another double. Just not my thing I guess.
"Russian/Remington" reminded me of this, lol: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/04/the-remington-mosin-nagant-an-all-american-pre-soviet-rifle/

As for my "dream rifle"? I have several, and own one, rifles in my dreams. I'm really trying to decide between two of them now, if I'd rather have the Shiloh Sharps I've wanted for about a decade or a rifle built on a Dan'l Fraser Falling-block action that I discovered after joining this forum and just utterly fell in love with. It's not an easy decision!

@TroyF Don't give up hope on a double if that's your dream! The big brand names might not be within reach for you yet, but they might one day. And you already know there are alternatives like using a shotgun with a set of replacement barrels. With some careful searching, you might find something perfect for a project that'll grant you a very special double rifle that's truly yours.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.05.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.05.17 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
"Russian/Remington" reminded me of this, lol: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/04/the-remington-mosin-nagant-an-all-american-pre-soviet-rifle/

As for my "dream rifle"? I have several, and own one, rifles in my dreams. I'm really trying to decide between two of them now, if I'd rather have the Shiloh Sharps I've wanted for about a decade or a rifle built on a Dan'l Fraser Falling-block action that I discovered after joining this forum and just utterly fell in love with. It's not an easy decision!
Ya a Shiloh sharps is high on the dream rifle list, dad had one for a little while but got a good offer. I'd like a copy of the Quigley rifle, but then the custom options would be very tempting.

Ya a Shiloh sharps is high on the dream rifle list, dad had one for a little while but got a good offer. I'd like a copy of the Quigley rifle, but then the custom options would be very tempting.
The options I selected make it similar to a Quigley but just a little bit different. Shorter half-octagonal barrel, no patchbox or initials, but a few finishing options to make it pop just right.

On the other hand, a Dan'l Fraser action costs nearly as much in the white as the completed Sharps does. That makes it a bit more "dream" and less "reality" for sure, at least for a while.

But as I said (after editing my original post), if a double is what you really want, I'm sure you'll make that dream come true. Look out for cape guns, drillings, barrel-less shotgun actions, and complete shotguns that might be suited for a bit of creative restoration.

As soon as I can get into my 401K without penalty, we are going to find out...

My "dream" rifle? I can maybe narrow it down to 3.
Ruger RSM .375 H&H
Ruger Precision Rifle .300 Win Mag/PRC
Weatherby Accumark .338-378

But dream custom:
Trued Ruger MkII action
26" Bartlein Sendero contour .375 Ruger.
Bell & Carlson stock
I'm not hard to please lol

Last edited:
Have my dream rifle but still looking forward to one day getting a Woodward 12 ga or 16 ga.

Doubles truly can be deadly at both ends. It kicks the hardest when you pay for it.
I'd think I'd like one in 7x57r maybe a 9.3 or 375. I don't have money for Africa and if I did I would just shoot plains game. For hunting at home with deer and black bear I don't need a big bommer. I'm not shy about recoil tho.

Something like this would be cool, don't know if it's over priced but looks in wonderful shape.
This is the only place in the USA I know of to check for these rifles for sale.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.05.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.05.59 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.00 AM.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 73
Here's a drilling needs some work but would be nice to restore and within my price range, I'd still have to save up for a year tho lol.
no idea if it's a good make but looks decent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.10 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.06.12 AM.png
    412.7 KB · Views: 62
If only there was a rifle out there that was durable, could break down with a detachable barrel for ease of travel, lots of different calibers, would hold its zero no matter what barrel you put on , and have lots of options to make it personal, I would call that my dream rifle. I think it's called an r8 or something

Mine seem to change. Most of what were my dream guns I have been fortunate enough to obtain.

Since joining this site my dreams have yet changed again. Unfortunately so have the price tags!

If only there was a rifle out there that was durable, could break down with a detachable barrel for ease of travel, lots of different calibers, would hold its zero no matter what barrel you put on , and have lots of options to make it personal, I would call that my dream rifle. I think it's called an r8 or something
I shot one when they first came out, my dad worked at a nice gun shop a salesman wanted them to be a dealer or something. Had a few we got to shoot, the owners wife said they would never sell any so it never worked out. Yet they sold a good amount of high dollar shotguns.

I've thought of I could afford the cheaper model with the synthetic stock is to for one, but then I thought I'd want all the different barrels lol, even the mag/ trigger is like $500 last I seen.

This one would be perfect for the hunting I do, I'd have to see how legal it is tho, nice scope to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.07.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.07.31 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.07.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.07.33 AM.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 68
I have a bucket list, and any of them on the list would make me happy... but I can't say any single one of them is my dream gun. And I feel very blessed with the stable I do have, all of which fill me with warm fuzzies.

I'd think I'd like one in 7x57r maybe a 9.3 or 375. I don't have money for Africa and if I did I would just shoot plains game. For hunting at home with deer and black bear I don't need a big bommer. I'm not shy about recoil tho.
Don't base it solely on "need". I have zero "need" for my .375 Ruger here in Virginia, but I absolutely love it. I enjoy shooting it, as well as working up loads. I've also found out, using it on deer, you get virtually zero ruined meat. Just a neat 3/8" hole in and out.

Maybe find you a Ruger African in 9.3x62 ? It's legal for buffalo should you ever make it and a joy to shoot as well. Have fun with it, until you can have your double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg