My .416 Rigby application has been approved!

Njc, a fine plan of action. BTW your chosen scope will be perfect. I think the eye relief is 4 & 1/2".

It is a little depressing when the decisions are not based on law but often on uninformed or ill informed opinion!

Maybe the secret is to apply for a 500 Jeffrey (knowing the whole while they will refuse) and when they refuse you slide the 416 in as a more reasonable alternative.

You guys make me feel very fortunate.

The 500 Jeffrey is a good idea. My personal preference is a 404 Jeffrey! But the principle is good!

Maybe the secret is to apply for a 500 Jeffrey (knowing the whole while they will refuse) and when they refuse you slide the 416 in as a more reasonable alternative.

You guys make me feel very fortunate.

That's basically what I did! I was 99% sure they'd tell me to get lost but figured I'd have a go. Then when they said no I let them talk me into something that was better for my needs that what I'd asked for in the first place! I didn't know it at the time but I think it worked out for the best. They saved me from my own stupidity!

Man I thought we had it bad in Poland and Oz...

Britain isn't wet up for firearms ownership. We have very little land that isn't populated. Large calibre firearms need a great deal of respect to be used safely here and I think that is why it's made hard for us to get big calibres. To have a gun you have to show a need, if you don't need it then, well, you don't need it and can't have it.

The Rigby I think is the biggest round that can sensibly be used for our game. Anything bigger is really a stopping calibre rather than a requirement to hunt. We don't have anything here that needs stopping apart from maybe an angry boar, and stopping one of those isn't like stopping an angry buff. As nice as it would have been to be granted the Lott, considering our heaviest game weighs perhaps 250kg, it would have been less useful than the Rigby. I'd have been sacrificing useful range to achieve nothing.

I understand your viewpoint completely.

The reason why I have a 375 H&H and why I would like a 404 Jeffery is because I do hunt regularly in Southern Africa. I do hunt both in the bushveld and plains game and also get the opportunity to hunt DG regularly as well.

I am likely to get the 404 Jeffery on my certificate but it is going to be highly restricted.

The reason why I am confident of getting the calibre on certificate is because I have been hunting for nearly 50 years now and I do have very good references from Professional Hunters in Southern Africa.

The problem is that anyone who faces up to DG needs to be proficient! The only way of doing this is to practice and get to know your rifle and the loads being used very well. If you don’t you are endangering your life and all those around you. Hence the need for a little understanding by the licensing authorities.

........... I let them talk me into something that was better for my needs that what I'd asked for in the first place! ...........

It costs people a lot of money to learn this kind of advanced negotiating technique. They are the experts after all.

My biggest argument with them was that I needed to know the gun instinctively. I put it to them that just as shooting at a range is not deemed suitable experience for them to let a new FAC holder have a deer calibre for field use, the same range use wasn't suitable experience for me to then go and shoot DG in a field environment. That stumped them a little I think - how could they argue with that without making themselves look stupid?!

Well, again, all I can say is well done in succeeding in getting the calibre approved and “open” as well! Your arguments were obviously correct and convincing.

What this does illustrate is that anyone in the UK who does have an FAC is obviously highly dedicated to the sport! Otherwise they would just walk away!

Enjoy your rifle! Keep us updated on how you progress with it? Post a photo.

Use it well, congrats.

Well guys, I'm feeling a little bit excited today. My application to have a .416 Rigby added to my firearms license has been approved. This is a huge achievement in the UK and there is only one other rifle of this calibre in my county! I wasn't sure I was going to get it but it's all turned out perfectly. They haven't specified any quarry restrictions which is amazing - I've been authorised to shoot any lawful quarry.

This probably sounds a little odd to users in countries where you can buy what you like and shoot whatever you choose. Here I've been given about as much freedom with it as I could ever expect. It's a great result.

I have my stock of Woodleigh Weldcore's at the ready, some Norma brass and a set of dies. I'm hoping to pick up the rifle at some point in the next couple of weeks ready to sight it in on my usual range day on the last Sunday of the month. Any tips for shooting it for the first time? I've never shot a calibre this large before so I'm expecting it to rattle my teeth a bit! It's a CZ550 Aramid Composite, nice and robust with a bit of weight to it and a good size butt pad!
Cograts.

Sounds like advice I would give ...........

Congrats on a great calibre. As you are loading your own, start with some down loaded rounds, min recommended loads and build up in 2 grain increments, and as suggested start standing up. Standing up is not a problem for me but off the bench I pad up as she kits. This is just my recoil tolerance, most have a bit better than me.

Congrats on a great calibre. As you are loading your own, start with some down loaded rounds, min recommended loads and build up in 2 grain increments, and as suggested start standing up. Standing up is not a problem for me but off the bench I pad up as she kits. This is just my recoil tolerance, most have a bit better than me.

I'm going to start loading it with around 90gr of Reloder 22. Maximum load is I think 101gr with a 410gr bullet and I've seen higher charges listed in other manuals. That should give a nice low start load without reducing it too far. I don't need flat out loads for targets, I don't suppose I need flat out loads for anything?!

I've never fired a round I wasn't happy to shoot again a few times. That said, I've never fired a .416 Rigby!

I've never fired a round I wasn't happy to shoot again a few times. That said, I've never fired a .416 Rigby!

You’ll be fine!

Just don’t hold it like you hold a .22 or even a .308. Grab it with both hands and make the rifle one with your body. Don’t give it a chance at a running start on you!

Congrats on your new baby and your negotiating skills. I think you beat them at their own game. They had no recourse without looking even more stupid than they already are. Shoot it standing up and lean into it. Enjoy.

I lived in England for a couple years - 87-89. I remember that it was not easy to own firearms back then. There was a little antique book store I used to stop in looking for Africana whenever we drove through the little village of Hungerford.... I can only imagine the restrictions to own firearms today, 30 years later. Enjoy your new toy while you can, I say. And good on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg