My 404 Jeffery

Andrew Short

AH legend
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
3,021
Location
Alabama
Media
20
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
1
Mex/S.Amer
1
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
Hunted
Namibia
All, I’ve always wanted a 404 Jeffery and now I can say I own one. I have zero experience with big bore rifles so this is uncharted territory for me. The rifle is a Montana Rifle Company AVR. I’m having a thread protector made so I can remove the muzzle device. Also there is a RSM 416 Rigby coming...
Here are a few pics of the Jeffery.

C1A8D1F5-08C3-40A8-AC6C-D6A6D1FFCB10.jpeg


F35C418E-95B5-4F9E-BFD1-703442E78BE4.jpeg

EC5E97F4-9BBC-4F27-AA67-BF3FA4DA5890.jpeg
Im not a fan of the stain of the stock, would like to go darker if anyone can give me advice on this.
 
John Gallagher is a top notch gunsmith in Jasper. I have used him to refinish a .404J RSM in early 2017 and he did a fantastic job. The rifle was originally a RSM .375 HH which the original owner converted to a .404J. After I acquired the rifle in late 2016 and had John completely refinish the metal, sights, barrel ring and pad. The previous owner and I had different tastes. I left the wood finish as original. I,m sure he can take that shiny finish off. I haven't had contact with him in about 2-3 years. PM me for his phone number.

.404 target.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
With a new 404 J and a 416 Rigby on the way, may I suggest your next purchase should be a Lead Sled if you don't already own one. :W A Rifle:
 
John Gallagher is a top notch gunsmith in Jasper. I have used him to refinish a .404J RSM in early 2017 and he did a fantastic job. The rifle was originally a RSM .375 HH which the original owner converted to a .404J. After I acquired the rifle in late 2016 and had John completely refinish the metal, sights, barrel ring and pad. The previous owner and I had different tastes. I left the wood finish as original. I,m sure he can take that shiny finish off. I haven't had contact with him in about 2-3 years. PM me for his phone number.

I know John and am familiar with his work. He is/was doing some custom long range rifles but recently I’ve heard he is not doing well “cancer”. I do not know any specifics but I will reach out to him.
Your 404 is very pretty with a nice group to boot!
 
Great rifle in excellent caliber. Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Thank you! It’s not a flashy rifle but what I consider a “working” gun. I can’t wait to shoot it for the first time!
 
I know John and am familiar with his work. He is/was doing some custom long range rifles but recently I’ve heard he is not doing well “cancer”. I do not know any specifics but I will reach out to him.
Your 404 is very pretty with a nice group to boot!
That is terrible news if John has cancer. He may or may not remember me, but tell him I said hello and good luck with his cancer fight.
 
Hi David—if u get tired of Arkansas— my range is open whenever I unlock the gate[emoji3]
 
Congrats on the new rifle.
 
John Gallagher passed away in April.
 
Hi David—if u get tired of Arkansas— my range is open whenever I unlock the gate[emoji3]
I am a member of a great range about 7 or so miles away. Its been so damn hot for the past couple of weeks, its been too hot for me to head out. Started getting some rain today. Hopefully can get out there next week. Thanks for the invitation though. You never know when I'll call and tell you I'm on the way!
 
Andrew, congrats on the new 404. Have you made up your mind what you are going to feed it? Providing you reload try 84 Gr. of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. That load has proven itself in a bunch of different rifles. Both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch with it.
 
Congrats on the new additions!
 
Andrew, congrats on the new 404. Have you made up your mind what you are going to feed it? Providing you reload try 84 Gr. of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. That load has proven itself in a bunch of different rifles. Both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch with it.

I do reload and am looking forward to working up some loads. I had to buy the dies and shell holder.

I’ve read good things regarding the swift a frame. There are a couple good threads on here regarding that good hand loads.

I’m going to go through a few boxes of Hornady just to get acquainted with the rifle.
 
When reloading be very careful not to push shoulder back
I had that unfortunate experance with Hornady dies set just a few thousands to deep..
Result light primer strike or missfire
 
When reloading be very careful not to push shoulder back
I had that unfortunate experance with Hornady dies set just a few thousands to deep..
Result light primer strike or missfire

Is this a result of seating depth or the die? Could this be avoided with RCBS or other brand die?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,683
Members
170,119
Latest member
Addseonmey
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top