Muzzleloader for Cape Buffalo

Following. Hope this works out. I have visions of taking a flintlock for PG. Had one or two outfitters reach out with interest in trying to help. Black powder was the biggest issue I ran into right out of the gate.

I would definately not use a 300gr hollow point in 50 cal at bp velocity on buffalo. You will not have sufficient penetration. There are easier less painful ways to die....

I would have gone with the 45-70 or 450 NE in the same gun if I wanted something else in a double Pedersoli make both but not the setup you have

Here is that bullet that I recovered. With a unfired one for comparison.
Full .50 cal hollow base like civil war minis solid copper mmm maybe...unfortunately the sizing process won't work as I don't believe this double has breech plugs...Still I like this concept. TY

Full .50 cal hollow base like civil war minis solid copper mmm maybe...unfortunately the sizing process won't work as I don't believe this double has breech plugs...Still I like this concept. TY

That's where you would need to get a little bit creative on how you checked the exact size of the bore.

As I mentioned one of my rifles is even smaller than .500 and none of the bullets will even start, and the one that I can use the Thor's in I can't even start one above .501.

You would just need to be able to figure out a way to pull the bullet out of the bore if it does start but gets stuck, and if it did it would be right at the start of the bore.

Back up is my left barrel...At 62 I've declared my own personal stand Gunners ground law.
That's all well and good, but your PH is responsible and your tracker doesn't even get a vote.

What you have is the modern equivalent of a .500 BP express. When it was created, it was designed as a medium bore solution for red stag and wild boar. It was not intended for thick skinned dangerous game. Bore rifles were the choice for buffalo during the same period. The 12 bore rifle - .73 caliber - was considered marginal.

If you are set on trying this stunt, then come up with a full caliber flat-nosed hardened lead bullet with enough weight to have a SD sufficient to have some prayer of reaching something that matters in a buffalo.

That's all well and good, but your PH is responsible and your tracker doesn't even get a vote.

What you have is the modern equivalent of a .500 BP express. When it was created, it was designed as a medium bore solution for red stag and wild boar. It was not intended for thick skinned dangerous game. Bore rifles were the choice for buffalo during the same period. The 12 bore rifle - .73 caliber - was considered marginal.

If you are set on trying this stunt, then come up with a full caliber flat-nosed hardened lead bullet with enough weight to have a SD sufficient to have some prayer of reaching something that matters in a buffalo.

You're stepping to a double that creates a smokescreen on each shot and requires a lot more work to reload than the #1. Not sure that's stepping up.

Be that as it may, as Red Leg mentioned look into full caliber conicals. You may want to talk to these folks. They have 450 grain 50 cal solids and possibly more, their site is a little tough to work on my phone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.30.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.30.50 AM.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 65
If your RSA PH goes for this, more power to him. I have seen buffalo hunts go down badly after a well placed bullet. When things go to crap it is a well trained responsible PHs job to see that there is no injury to anyone. If he does not, he may be a hunter but certainly not professional. He also has s moral obligation to see that hunted game is taken as humanely as possible.

Seems like I once read somewhere that; “Perhaps a buffalo could be bagged by means of a well placed frozen herring but what is the point”?

Following. Hope this works out. I have visions of taking a flintlock for PG. Had one or two outfitters reach out with interest in trying to help. Black powder was the biggest issue I ran into right out of the gate.
I also have thought seriously about taking a 54 flintlock I’ve built and hunt plains game. Powder and balls are not an issue as the PH can obtain them there, I’m referring to South Africa. My greatest problem is a travel case as my rifle is much to long for anything out there. Leaving me with either have a custom case built or building a different rifle. The latter is appealing because I could build a large bore in percussion like the early guns used there.

You're stepping to a double that creates a smokescreen on each shot and requires a lot more work to reload than the #1. Not sure that's stepping up.
And right there is the added challenge and extra adrenaline push...They call it "Dangerous Game hunting" for a reason.

I would definately not use a 300gr hollow point in 50 cal at bp velocity on buffalo.
These exact same 300gr. .44cal Swift A-Frames bullets have been used to take many Cape Buffalo with handguns at 44 mag velocity. With 130gr. of Hodgon Pyrodex RS Powder Hodgon load tables have a muzzle velocities @1700 fps. Swifts 44 mag 300gr factory ammo = 1346fps...I win!

I also have thought seriously about taking a 54 flintlock I’ve built and hunt plains game. Powder and balls are not an issue as the PH can obtain them there, I’m referring to South Africa. My greatest problem is a travel case as my rifle is much to long for anything out there. Leaving me with either have a custom case built or building a different rifle. The latter is appealing because I could build a large bore in percussion like the early guns used there.

Can't you take the barrel off of the stock to shorten it up?

These exact same 300gr. .44cal Swift A-Frames bullets have been used to take many Cape Buffalo with handguns at 44 mag velocity. With 130gr. of Hodgon Pyrodex RS Powder Hodgon load tables have a muzzle velocities @1700 fps. Swifts 44 mag 300gr factory ammo = 1346fps...I win!
You dont win.....you have your opinion I have mine....good luck

FG, congrats on the new rifle, first thing i'd do is measure the twist rate of the barrels, then check with manufacturer on pressure maxes for the rifle, also, if i could make a suggestion, the 45 cal 325gr Swift A Frame will give a bit more momentum and penetration than the 300gr 44 cal, another bonus with 45 cal is the sabot is a bit thinner because the bullet is larger, thinner sabots load quicker and easier, especially in the Harvester crush rib designs, i dont think you can overdrive a Swift A Frame pistol bullet, iirc their website shows bullets expanded and recovered to over 2000 fps.

With your rifle having two rear sights, you should be able to get both barrels to print dead zero at buffalo ranges with max powder charges, good luck and shoot straight.

Last edited:
FG, congrats on the new rifle, first thing i'd do is measure the twist rate of the barrels, then check with manufacturer on pressure maxes for the rifle, also, if i could make a suggestion, the 45 cal 325gr Swift A Frame will give a bit more momentum and penetration than the 300gr 44 cal, another bonus with 45 cal is the sabot is a bit thinner because the bullet is larger, thinner sabots load quicker and easier, especially in the Harvester crush rib designs, i dont think you can overdrive a Swift A Frame pistol bullet, iirc their website shows bullets expanded and recovered up to 3000 fps.

With your rifle having two rear sights, you should be able to get both barrels to print dead zero at buffalo ranges with max powder charges, good luck and shoot straight.
Ty I started looking at the Swift 50 cal sabot with 44 A-Frame because it's made for specifically for muzzleloading...the 45cal 325gr Swift A Frame is an outstanding suggestion and just went too the top of my test loads...Outstanding advice!

1:24 in twist Vast improvement

As for sights this is the new and improved Pedersoli Kodiak Express MK VI.
Ghost ring tang sight...Maybe? Faster target acquisition? Compromise on the twin rear of older models? We'll see about the sight with hundreds of training shots to come

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you