Muzzleloader for Cape Buffalo

How much more effective would a 50 cal muzzle loader be than a shotgun slug? (except slower to reload)? I don't remember velocity numbers on a muzzle loader I once owned.
Steve, modern sabot 12 gas slugs have similar velosity to inline MZ but are likely “less accurate” and especially less accurate over 100 yrds. Both the MZ and 12 ga rifled slug guns launch a 1 oz to 1 3/8 oz slug over 2000 fps —- plenty of speed and as long as the slug is properly constructed it should be able penetrate deeply and kill many types of dangerous game (Not Elephant, Rino, or Hippo). These slugs are Not equal to big bore rifles but they are capable of killing any North American dangerous game and I would think (Never did it) Cape Buffalo reliably inside of 100 yrds. Would be interested in others that have either done it or a PH that knows more and feels differently.
 
Umm, that's not entirely true. A lot of people use hard cast, I'm one of them. Powder, card wad, roll of lube, card wad line up bullet and hammer it.down the barrel. I have also just lubed the bullet and hammered it down also. Brass stemmed ball starter and brass ram rod.
Hardcast don't work too well in a muzzle loader unless they are undersized to be able to get down the barrel, then you have a problem getting them to seal when the powder is ign
 
Is powder available in Africa? I would not think flying with powder would be an option? I could be way off base and do not understand the logistics.
You can buy black powder in South Africa over the counter....
Once a year, I hunt down there with a black powder only community.
Gert Odendaal, honorable member of this forum, can tell you all the details...

HWL
 
Thank you HW, members there are great quality Black powder available in South Africa. Johan Greyling , owner of JS Gunsmiths is manufacturing Black powder in different FFG . Ask your outfitter/PH to contact Johan Greyling or me in regards to get any visiting hunter to SA Black Powder .
 
Thank you HW, members there are great quality Black powder available in South Africa. Johan Greyling , owner of JS Gunsmiths is manufacturing Black powder in different FFG . Ask your outfitter/PH to contact Johan Greyling or me in regards to get any visiting hunter to SA Black Powder .
That is great information, thank you
 
Gracias HW, miembros, hay pólvora negra de gran calidad disponible en Sudáfrica. Johan Greyling, propietario de JS Gunsmiths, fabrica pólvora negra en diferentes FFG. Pídale a su proveedor/PH que se comunique con Johan Greyling o conmigo para llevar a cualquier cazador visitante a SA Black Powder.
Thank you very much, I would like to hunting in SA, with my hawken 50 and my 12 slug muzzloader shotgun, some day...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,845
Members
169,435
Latest member
hanthanhvien
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top