walk-in

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
Hunted
United States, Canada
I just found this forum today as I was trying to find information on a rifle I have been researching. I believe it may be a Musgrave, but they are not well known in the U.S. It is a Mauser action, with a Monte Carlo stock, Weaver (possibly) bases, and a fold down rear sight. The barrel is marked 30-06 Caliber, Model S98. Does anyone know if this is a Musgrave? If not, any other ideas on what it may be?

Hi walk-in

What is the serial number? It sounds like it could be a Musgrave, but then should have a serial number containing the caliber, S98 plus some more numbers. Musgrave barrels had the name Musgrave engraved/ stamped on top of the barrel, and the serial number on the barrel.

I don't know the serial number. A friend of mine just bought it and sent me some pictures. I believe it is a Brno action, which I've been told Musgrave used at one time. He didn't mention anything except the barrel markings I already mentioned, and nothing else shows up in the pictures he sent me. It appears to be a pretty nicely fitted stock with what may be an ebony forend tip. I'm basing this all off of pictures he e-mailed me. I haven't seen the actual rifle yet.

I ended up taking it off of my friend's hands. Upon further inspection, I think that it is highly unlikely that it is a Musgrave. I did come across a reference to a Model S98 in connection with Musgrave when I was looking for information on the internet, but I don't think this rifle has any connection to that. It has a Guatemalan crest on the receiver and does not say Musgrave anywhere. My best guess at this point is that it started out life as a military rifle and was professionally sporterized for sale here in the U.S. some time in the '50s or early '60s. Nobody else I have asked seems to have any better idea. I'm undecided right now what I will do with it. I had been thinking about building an 8x68 on another action I have, but I may rebarrel this rifle to 8x68 instead. I can't come up with a single good reason to do that other than that I've always wanted an 8x68 and I already have an '06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you