walk-in

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
Hunted
United States, Canada
I just found this forum today as I was trying to find information on a rifle I have been researching. I believe it may be a Musgrave, but they are not well known in the U.S. It is a Mauser action, with a Monte Carlo stock, Weaver (possibly) bases, and a fold down rear sight. The barrel is marked 30-06 Caliber, Model S98. Does anyone know if this is a Musgrave? If not, any other ideas on what it may be?

Hi walk-in

What is the serial number? It sounds like it could be a Musgrave, but then should have a serial number containing the caliber, S98 plus some more numbers. Musgrave barrels had the name Musgrave engraved/ stamped on top of the barrel, and the serial number on the barrel.

I don't know the serial number. A friend of mine just bought it and sent me some pictures. I believe it is a Brno action, which I've been told Musgrave used at one time. He didn't mention anything except the barrel markings I already mentioned, and nothing else shows up in the pictures he sent me. It appears to be a pretty nicely fitted stock with what may be an ebony forend tip. I'm basing this all off of pictures he e-mailed me. I haven't seen the actual rifle yet.

I ended up taking it off of my friend's hands. Upon further inspection, I think that it is highly unlikely that it is a Musgrave. I did come across a reference to a Model S98 in connection with Musgrave when I was looking for information on the internet, but I don't think this rifle has any connection to that. It has a Guatemalan crest on the receiver and does not say Musgrave anywhere. My best guess at this point is that it started out life as a military rifle and was professionally sporterized for sale here in the U.S. some time in the '50s or early '60s. Nobody else I have asked seems to have any better idea. I'm undecided right now what I will do with it. I had been thinking about building an 8x68 on another action I have, but I may rebarrel this rifle to 8x68 instead. I can't come up with a single good reason to do that other than that I've always wanted an 8x68 and I already have an '06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg