Musgrave 375 H&H - the right move?

ZDresner

Reaction score
Member of
KZN Hunters and NSA
Hunted
South Africa
I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Musgrave 375 H&H Left-hand rifle. It is an older model with a Sako L691 action. I have yet to shoot it, although it is comfortable and well balanced - with my limited knowledge. It is in excellent condition. Can anyone assist me with regards to my choice in the rifle and give me your opinion ? I suppose I would like someone with more experience stating it is a good choice in rifle!

The Sako L691 action is a great action from a golden era of Sako production. I don't know when Musgrave used them but I'll bet you will have no problems with it. You said the rifle is in excellent condition and probably has had little use.

Thank You for replying. The rifle has not worked hard at all. I do know that less than 40 rounds have past through in the last 7 years. Has a new Leopold VX3 mounted on her as well.

The Sako L691 action is a great action from a golden era of Sako production. I don't know when Musgrave used them but I'll bet you will have no problems with it. You said the rifle is in excellent condition and probably has had little use.

Welcome to AH...

The Musgrave rifles have a good reputation...

375 H & H is a good choice and will be a nice rifle to add to your cabinet (gun safe).

Great rifle indeed. How do you plan to scope it?

Enjoy see how it groups ...if it hits well with factory food .....you are done ...However if not do not despair as with a reloading kit you can make it shine ......

That will do the job - solid scope - If it doesn't already have them, I would strongly urge quality quick release mounts like Talley (or Leopold's). Particularly if you plan to use it on Buffalo or leopard. I did a follow-up with a fixed scope rifle years ago (fortunately to a dead cat), and swore never again.

Hi Red. It does have Leopold quick release scope. Just want to thank you all for the feedback. Very positive and I can't wait to feed this beauty at the range or on a hunt soonest.

Sako action, Leupold scope is my "gold standard" that other rifles / scopes are compared to. Congratulations on a fine purchase.

Congrats, they are a beautiful gun.

Welcome to AH... Musgrave are excellent rifles and yours will be 100%. You can hunt virtually ANYTHING with this rifle ...steenbok to elephant... just use the correct ammo for the situation.

Need pictures plz.

Musgrave 375 H&H Left-hand
20160111_122341.jpg

This thread is exactly why I love this website

if I don’t know something, somebody here has the knowledge and experience and is willing to share them

Those good old days ,when every safe in SA had or wanted a musgrave .Excellent rifle ,will serve you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg