Musgrave 375 H&H - the right move?

ZDresner

Reaction score
Member of
KZN Hunters and NSA
Hunted
South Africa
I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Musgrave 375 H&H Left-hand rifle. It is an older model with a Sako L691 action. I have yet to shoot it, although it is comfortable and well balanced - with my limited knowledge. It is in excellent condition. Can anyone assist me with regards to my choice in the rifle and give me your opinion ? I suppose I would like someone with more experience stating it is a good choice in rifle!

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
The Sako L691 action is a great action from a golden era of Sako production. I don't know when Musgrave used them but I'll bet you will have no problems with it. You said the rifle is in excellent condition and probably has had little use.

ZDresner

Reaction score
Member of
KZN Hunters and NSA
Hunted
South Africa
Thank You for replying. The rifle has not worked hard at all. I do know that less than 40 rounds have past through in the last 7 years. Has a new Leopold VX3 mounted on her as well.

The Sako L691 action is a great action from a golden era of Sako production. I don't know when Musgrave used them but I'll bet you will have no problems with it. You said the rifle is in excellent condition and probably has had little use.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH...

The Musgrave rifles have a good reputation...

375 H & H is a good choice and will be a nice rifle to add to your cabinet (gun safe).

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Great rifle indeed. How do you plan to scope it?

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Enjoy see how it groups ...if it hits well with factory food .....you are done ...However if not do not despair as with a reloading kit you can make it shine ......

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
That will do the job - solid scope - If it doesn't already have them, I would strongly urge quality quick release mounts like Talley (or Leopold's). Particularly if you plan to use it on Buffalo or leopard. I did a follow-up with a fixed scope rifle years ago (fortunately to a dead cat), and swore never again.

ZDresner

Reaction score
Member of
KZN Hunters and NSA
Hunted
South Africa
Hi Red. It does have Leopold quick release scope. Just want to thank you all for the feedback. Very positive and I can't wait to feed this beauty at the range or on a hunt soonest.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Sako action, Leupold scope is my "gold standard" that other rifles / scopes are compared to. Congratulations on a fine purchase.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Congrats, they are a beautiful gun.

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
Welcome to AH... Musgrave are excellent rifles and yours will be 100%. You can hunt virtually ANYTHING with this rifle ...steenbok to elephant... just use the correct ammo for the situation.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
Need pictures plz.

ZDresner

Reaction score
Member of
KZN Hunters and NSA
Hunted
South Africa
Musgrave 375 H&H Left-hand
20160111_122341.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyBowes

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG