MOZAMBIQUE: My safari With Juan Pace Of Chasseurs de Mocambique

We brought our own rifles. Mine were an ancient Browning X-Bolt in 30.06 for the plains game (bought used in 1993, it's still performing with excellence), a Ruger No. 1 in .416 Remington Magnum for the buffalo, and my brother used a Tikka T3 in .300 Winchester Short Mag.
I would like to note that bringing rifles into Mozambique is not something I would do again. It is such a tremendous hassle, from the red tape to the incessant pressure to provide bribes to the inconvenience of lugging gun cases into a really remote area, that it's just not worth it. I'm very attached to my rifles, and the Ruger was bought purposely for this hunt, but it really wasn't worth the trouble. The main camp in Niassa has a very nice gun collection for hunters to choose from (most lodges do, from what I've seen), and I would recommend utilizing one of their rifles. South Africa is a different story: the bureaucracy isn't nearly as bad, the attempts to solicit bribes much less aggressive, and it's pretty convenient to use your own gun there.
I've got garboons of photos! Your want animals, people, landscape, lodging, food, vehicles...? Just name it.
It wasn't an Xbolt if you bought it in 1993. The X Bolt was introduced in 2008.

Sorry, yes it's an A-bolt. I must have been mistaken with current Browning advertising.

That was a fair assessment, even though it caught you by surprise you had a hunt of a lifetime. My dream is to do a multi country Safari but those little things scare the hell out of me, I think I would get carried away with targets of opportunity .
i did a two country safari this past August with two different operators over three weeks that was outstanding!!! the key for me is i create my exact excel spreadsheet of costs based on each operators cost structure. this enables me to at all times know opportunity costs for all animals. then sometimes better deals come up on the hunt that are always lower than the standard. on all my hunts this system has enabled me to never be surprised by any bill. so happy you had a hunt of a lifetime!!! congratulations!!!

The trophy collection from this past season at the main camp in Niassa, run by Mozambique Wild Adventures. Everything's packed up for the ride to South Africa for processing and shipment to the different hunting parties.
1702954119092.jpeg

1702954143429.jpeg

What freight agent are they using in Mozambique?

MWA or Mozambique Wild Adventures seems to be used by a few Outfitters.

I know Jaco Hurst Camp Manager from your photos from Matswane Safaris is one of them and have been hunting there for quite a few years 10 or more succesfully.

But is it sustainable…
From my observations of both the number and quality of animals I would say more than sustainable. The concession is massive; the hunting pressure low; and there's a robust anti-poaching program in place. I've witnessed for myself the dedication to conservation that the management of this concession is practicing. I'm quite sure they are contributing to an improved game population in Niassa as a whole.

From my observations of both the number and quality of animals I would say more than sustainable. The concession is massive; the hunting pressure low; and there's a robust anti-poaching program in place. I've witnessed for myself the dedication to conservation that the management of this concession is practicing. I'm quite sure they are contributing to an improved game population in Niassa as a whole.
I agree

But is it sustainable…
If they’ve managed area 10+ years and those are the buffalo they are getting it appears very sustainable. That looks like 30-32 buffalo and only 2 are somewhat marginal on age but still very acceptable for most areas.

And now ir seems all think Juan Pace is responsible for all this success......reeality will prevale....

And now ir seems all think Juan Pace is responsible for all this success......reeality will prevale....
I'm sorry for leaving that impression. No, I don't believe Juan Pace is a participant in the management of this concession. I understand him to be one of three outfitters who are allowed to access the concession with hunting clients, as directed by the concession managers.

Reactions: IvW
Just to expand on that, the only connection I intended to make is that Juan has secured access to this part of Niassa for his clients, and it was an amazing place for my leopard and buffalo hunt (as well as the plains game we hunted).
Compared to the other properties we hunted in South Africa that Juan has access to, the Niassa concession was really exceptional as a true wilderness: vast, unfenced, with minimal human presence and abundant game of high quality. It is really impressive, and some readers expressed interest in hearing more about it, so I'm glad to describe my observations and experiences while there. I can recommend Chasseurs de Mocambique because that's who I went with and I absolutely loved it, but even if you are dead set against using Juan Pace as an outfitter I whole-heartedly recommend the Mozambique Wild Adventures concession in Niassa as a destination to anyone looking for a safari like the one I had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you