Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I literally just got off the phone with my US booking agent asking for an update and itineraries.

09 March 2020 seems to be the new magic date as to what department of [ the US] government is going to control the import/export of hunters leaving and returning the US with weapons and what hunters traveling with weapons will need in addition to CBP Form 4457.

Has anyone on AH, recent personal experience or information as to what is or about to be required to exit/ enter the US with your weapon(s)?

Also:

Does anyone have experience or actually been rerouted from their original flight JNB to PE via SAA on SA Link and had to pay additional fees other than SAA weapon fees?

We are booked for the 12th of June with Lufthansa all the way through to PE. Now they are trying to put us Mango for JNB to PE. Have tried several times to explain we need Airlink so we can take our guns. They tell that Mango is our only option as SAA partner and Airlink is not through Lufthansa. We can't even cancel the JNB to PE portion without canceling our complete ticket and rebooking at a significantly higher price to JNB only. So much for booking your tickets in one package.

Right now with what is going on with the airline industry in SA I would only use a travel agent that is familiar with what is happening. It would save a lot of aggravation.

We are using a travel agent. She always goes the extra mile. It's Lufthansa that are the problem.

Another vote for Gracy Travel. Airlink has one flight a day to Port Elizabeth which in my case, would require a 14 hour layover in Joburg both ways. Rebooked on SA SAFAIR mid day flight. As it now stands, they can not carry firearms but are in the process of obtaining authorization to do so. Fingers crossed they get it by May. Not many options as SA Express is a dead cat and Mango doesn't carry firearms.

We are booked for the 12th of June with Lufthansa all the way through to PE. Now they are trying to put us Mango for JNB to PE. Have tried several times to explain we need Airlink so we can take our guns. They tell that Mango is our only option as SAA partner and Airlink is not through Lufthansa. We can't even cancel the JNB to PE portion without canceling our complete ticket and rebooking at a significantly higher price to JNB only. So much for booking your tickets in one package.
I would not worry too much about it. The Mango flight is a SAA codeshare which will carry some stipulations that they will have to abide by SAA rules. We will all be watching to see any updates.

As for the Us import/export of firearms there is no new news yet. When I departed DFW for Mongolia in August a Customs officer met me at the gate to do the electronic gun entry system. I politely told him no one else was using it but I’d be glad for him to enter it. Upon arrival back at DFW of course all I needed was the 4457!

As for the Us import/export of firearms there is no new news yet. When I departed DFW for Mongolia in August a Customs officer met me at the gate to do the electronic gun entry system. I politely told him no one else was using it but I’d be glad for him to enter it. Upon arrival back at DFW of course all I needed was the 4457!

@phillip Glass, can you add some color to this? They tracked you down at the gate to obtain this? I’m assuming you had the AES documentation to share with the officer?

Oh, and pardon....did not mean to come across as demanding. A “please” would’ve been nice. So, thanks in advance for any further comments!

@phillip Glass, can you add some color to this? They tracked you down at the gate to obtain this? I’m assuming you had the AES documentation to share with the officer?
No I did not. I just had 4457 and that’s all he wanted to see. He said he was going to enter it but who knows. The customs guys at DFW upon return were the nicest Govt guys I’ve dealt with in a long time. So nice and friendly. They simply asked to see 4457 as usual.
The departure agent was just a hot dog that was uninformed. Nice though.
There is no functioning AES system.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross