Moose loads for .375h&h

More over a good Moose country often have Big Grizzlies as well. So a few 275gr Aframe 338 ammo for back up in case.

If I manage to have an encounter with a grizzly in cape Breton I'll be famous.

According to my calculations a 270 grain bullet drop 10 inches at 300 and 28inches at four hundred cross hairs just On the top of his back is going to put a bullet in the vitals.

Didn't you buy a 340 laser mark this year. That will do what you want with flying colors.

Sold the .340 after I bought my .375 didn't see the point of it after having a .375. Plus the .340 was a tad hateful.

Well now the option looks like 375 H&H.
15967579441373204945545582294074.jpg

Moose are not real hardy but Black Bears are.I like a lot of the bullets mentioned especially the Swift A-Frame.The 375 is a relatively flat shooting caliber.VX-5 2-10 do the trick with a little more magnification!

My current battery consists of a .270 and a .375 I don't feel the .270 is adaquite for moose sized game.
Swedish have been using the 6.5x55 for Moose for over 100 years.
Seeing as the 270WIN is a 6.8mm, it should be just fine at reasonable ranges.

However, I truly believe the 375 with a 300 grain bullet is the way to go.

I have had great success with my 375 using the 260 accubond. Used here for moose, bears, deer as well in Namibia. They just shot as perfect as I could have hoped for.out of my rifle.

Craig

I think a Swift A frame or Barnes might be tougher than you really need. If you shoot a moose at 300 yards you might want a softer bullet that would open up more at lower velocity. I know at 225 yards my Nosler Partition(260 grain 375 Ruger ) seemed to tough for caribou. It drilled a neat hole clean through without a lot of damage around it. The caribou died but he did run a bit.
If you get stuck with some non premium bullets to load I think you'll be fine as long as you don't try to smash a moose shoulder bone at close range.

I think a Swift A frame or Barnes might be tougher than you really need. If you shoot a moose at 300 yards you might want a softer bullet that would open up more at lower velocity. I know at 225 yards my Nosler Partition(260 grain 375 Ruger ) seemed to tough for caribou. It drilled a neat hole clean through without a lot of damage around it. The caribou died but he did run a bit.
If you get stuck with some non premium bullets to load I think you'll be fine as long as you don't try to smash a moose shoulder bone at close range.

As of right now the only thing I've been able to buy is a box of blue box federal ammunition. Ive sighted in with that just encase I can't find anything else.

What was your load with the 260s?

The accubond I used out of my cz550, I used Remington Brass , win mag primers and 72 grains RL 15 . My rifle seemed to like that powder with the 260. Bit over 2750 fps with it.

I recovered a few over the years, all beautiful mushrooms with good retained weight.
Screenshot_20200808-060251.png
Screenshot_20200808-060152.png
Screenshot_20200808-060251.png

Last edited:
I am same as @machinistbutler. Shot a few on opposite side of Canada (BC) with my 375 over the years and always use 260 gr accubonds with RL 15, load up a few different loads and use the load that shoots best in your gun. Good luck.

MB

Nosler or A-frame 260 or 300 gr then you have North America and Africa covered for the most part

I am very comfortable taking a moose with a .270 and wouldn't hesitate to use it at all. And for black bear too. Neither require a cannon! However, if one owns a .375 and can shoot it well, then why not? My understanding is that the recommendation for the heavier bullets would be due to BC for trajectory and accuracy rather than because it would be required for "killing power".

Skinnersblade, Don't despair that all you have on hand is Federal blue box 300 gr rn ammo. I have only shot one moose with it, but I was completely satisfied with the results. This ancient cow was shot at exactly 300 long paces away, on the run and broadside to me. First shot was a touch far back, through the liver. Next shot through the shoulder blades and spine, dropping her instantly. Both bullets expanded properly, both exited. I did not expect such good bullet performance at that range from a lowly cup and core bullet in "cheap" factory ammo. The .375 works well on moose sized game. Don't over think things.
IMG_3300.JPG

Skinnersblade, Don't despair that all you have on hand is Federal blue box 300 gr rn ammo. I have only shot one moose with it, but I was completely satisfied with the results. This ancient cow was shot at exactly 300 long paces away, on the run and broadside to me. First shot was a touch far back, through the liver. Next shot through the shoulder blades and spine, dropping her instantly. Both bullets expanded properly, both exited. I did not expect such good bullet performance at that range from a lowly cup and core bullet in "cheap" factory ammo. The .375 works well on moose sized game. Don't over think things. View attachment 361943

Thanks longwalker that goes a long way to settle my nerves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg