Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
I saw this on Facebook, that with new subscriptions they were donating $5 to Texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation this week so I thought that I would give it a try. It's a bit expensive at $35 an issue, thankfully it's only two issues a year. Will post a review after first issues arrives. Anyone already subscribe? Although with YETI as one of the corporate sponsors, I have more then a few reservations.

https://www.modernhuntsman.co

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.52.21 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeti sponsorship aside, this is an awesome magazine truly worthy of the $35 price tag.

Production quality is very high, more like an art book.

Articles are excellent, focused more on the hunting experience rather than kill shots, conservation and ethics rather than this camo brand or that.

Highly recommended.

Ok, I subscribe to lot of Magazines, (too many acording to my wife) some I pay for: Hunter’s Path, Sports Afield, Gray’s Sporting Journal, African Outfitter, African Hunting Gazette and now Modern Huntsman. And, some I don’t pay for: Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, Garden & Gun. So, I have a good idea of the what’s good and what not. Modern Huntsman is a cross between “youthful version” of Gray’s Sporting Journal and Garden & Gun without all the ads. The photography is excellent and articles are well written (writers all look 30 somethings) and thankfully no Boddington articles anywhere to be found. They are designed to be “keepers” (Hunter’s Path is a real keeper) with heavy stock paper and bound like an Apple Photo Book. I will give it 2-3 more issues to determine if I would subscribe long term, that’s assuming it can survive long term. At $35 an issue and no Ads, that remains to be seen. There is however sponsors product placement in the photos, those YETI coolers suck.

I've had my second issue for a couple of weeks now. Volume Two is actually thicker then One. More articles and photos. Now the "sponsors" have a couple of ads in the front, but after that it's all meat and no filler.

Black Friday special is $5 off either One or Two or both, or subscription. Discount code is BLACKFRIDAY.

Well, I saw a Facebook post about Modern Huntsman and Toms. It has since been removed. So Google being my friend I did a little search. It appears one of the editors, Charles Post, teamed up with the CEO of Tom Shoes to promote Gun Control. I went to Mr Post's website and he has lots of outdoor sponsors (of course YETI being one of them). I am beginning to have second thoughts about continuing my subscription.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I would prefer to spend my money with those more closely aligned with mine in the current Culture War, even if my side is losing.

Yeti sponsorship aside, this is an awesome magazine truly worthy of the $35 price tag.

Production quality is very high, more like an art book.

Articles are excellent, focused more on the hunting experience rather than kill shots, conservation and ethics rather than this camo brand or that.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the endorsement! I saw one of these at a friends home once but didn’t realize it was $35 an issue.

Volume three arrive today, just briefly skimmed it. Still has Charles Post articles and now Ben Masters going on about "Trump's" wall along the Texas border. This issue is 270 pages. Still no "ads" but still product placement and now articles about "sponsors", but more then happy to read about sponsor - Holland & Holland, some of the others. not so much. Yeti no longer a sponsor. Still has great photography.

Last edited:
Volume 8 arrived yesterday. The whole thing is Africa, great photography, artwork and what I skimmed so far great articles. I highly recommend Volume 8. It's $35 for the paper version or $10 for the e-version.

Volume 8 arrived yesterday. The whole thing is Africa, great photography, artwork and what I skimmed so far great articles. I highly recommend Volume 8. It's $35 for the paper version or $10 for the e-version.

Agreed! Volume 8 about Africa is great!

I'd kind of lost interest in Modern Huntsman for a while- a bit too preachy sometimes. But this new issue has sucked me right back in!

Outstanding photography and story telling. It's getting me all inspired to work on my next photobook of our recent Zim safari!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross