Model 70 in 375 scope

The 2.5-8 VX3 would do very nicely. Mine wears a 1x6 and I couldn’t be more pleased.
I think the freedom line replaced the VX2 which sits on my 30-06. I like it.
A Leupold 2.5-8 is an ideal magnification but will not fit on a M70 375H&H without extended bases. The tube is too short.
 
My 375 H&H wears a Nikon Monarch series 4-12 power scope. Like others, my eyes aren't the greatest, so I prefer extra magnification. When I shot my wildebeest in July, I think I had it set on maybe 6 times magnification. I did have a VX-3 1.5-5 on it, but them came my 416 Rem Mag and it now resides there.
I did that of sorts in Leupold, but I don't have a .416 so my gun just has two scopes. The 2.5x Leupold is configurable to a small range of powers with its focusing. As it came to me things were not magnified at all.

image.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I put 1.7X10 Meopita on mine, I'm happy with the performance of that scope. It's very useful power range of a 375H&H.

My .02
 
Consider the VX111 2.5-8x36. A much better scope in essentially the same power range. It has very good eye relief if that is important to you.
+1
 
I put 1.7X10 Meopita on mine, I'm happy with the performance of that scope. It's very useful power range of a 375H&H.

My .02
Those seem to be very good scopes. I had the 1.7-10x42mm and the 1-6x24mm for awhile. I passed them on to my son. No other reason than he needed scopes and I had a personal overrun of scopes at the time.
Both compared favorably to my eyes, with Swarovski, Kahles, Zeiss, and Schmidt & Bender. I would certainly have no issues using those Meopta’s.
 
A Leupold 2.5-8 is an ideal magnification but will not fit on a M70 375H&H without extended bases. The tube is too short.

Hmmm, not my experience. At one time I had a VXIII 2.5-8x36 on my M70 .375 H&H. The mounts were Leupold QRW’s.
 
I have a vx6 2-12 with Talley qd rings on mine! Couldn’t be happier!
 
I did that of sorts in Leupold, but I don't have a .416 so my gun just has two scopes. The 2.5x Leupold is configurable to a small range of powers with its focusing. As it came to me things were not magnified at all.
Sharp looking setup
 
It's doable but takes some "imagination" with certain mounts/bases. Here's a Leup VX3 2.5-8 x 36 on my Winchester M70 Super Express 375 HH. I was able to mix and match for a dual dovetail set up.

3.5-8 x 36 Win 70.png
 
Last edited:
It's doable but takes some "imagination" with certain mounts/bases. Here's a Leup VX3 2.5-8 x 36 on my Winchester M70 Super Express 375 HH. I was able to mix and match for a dual dovetail set up.

View attachment 425146

Is it just me or is this scope mounted wrong.
It’s canted over so that windage will give elevation and visa versa ?
 
I have Leupold VXR Patrols 3-9x40 on my 375 and other rifles and have no problems. Many rounds through the 375 and no change.
Newboomer I've got the same scope on my 30-06, love it. But what do you do with the tactical turrets when you carry it, I am always worried that I dial it accidentally
 
I bought a Leica ER 2.5 - 10 for my 9.3x62. Very impressed and has loads of eye relief, maybe a scope to consider as well
 
Well said! This makes me start to kick around the Swarovski z3 in 3-9x36 … it says it’s for “traditional firearms”- not sure if it means normal bolt actions or muzzle loaders but at $777 it’s a contender along with the 2.5-8 and the 2-12 lewpy.
IMHO a 3-9x36 is a great choice for Africa. I have one on my 275 and it ticks the boxes for me. I wouldn’t use it here at home where most of our hunting is dawn, dusk and heavy woodland. Then I go looking for a larger objective bell, 50-52mm max.
 
I put 1.7X10 Meopita on mine, I'm happy with the performance of that scope. It's very useful power range of a 375H&H.

My .02
The R2 ? An excellent scope that is quality glass way above its price range.
 
Is it just me or is this scope mounted wrong.
It’s canted over so that windage will give elevation and visa versa ?
"Wrong" is in eye of beholder. I mount all my hunting rifle scopes rotated 90' to the left. Gets the turret out of the way of the port for both loading and ejection. Top pic is dual dovetail mounts of a Leupold 2.5x rotated 90' left on my Win M70 416 Rem Mag. Bottom photo top to bottom- Montana 99 450 Watts, Win 70 375 HH, Win 70 416 RM, BRNO ZKK 375 HH. All the scopes are rotated 90' left. Obviously won't work with scopes having extra knobs or post or gadget reticles.

416 Rem.JPG


DG rifles.JPG
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,414
Messages
1,575,529
Members
170,349
Latest member
rosopese1973
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top