Model 70 Classic Extractor

Mark A Ouellette

Gold supporter
AH legend
Joined
Dec 22, 2018
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
14,746
Location
Michigan
Media
34
Articles
10
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
I brought this post over from an optics thread...

Mauser 98 or its derivative action designs to include P14/17, Springfield 03, and Pre-64 Model 70 and perhaps others have similar extractors. Ask any old gunsmith how many extractors he's had to replace on any of these? Then ask him about M70 Classic extractors.

While all of the above listed actions and their extractors have similar roots, their parts are all different.
Extractors from P14/17 need fitting to a M70 Classic or Pre-64. Fitting this is what I term "real gunsmithing"!

If one can find a Pre-64 M70 Extractor the fit will be closer and less work than using one from another action.

Chances are that 99% of the M70 Classic extractors will not break. Some however do and the most inopportune times...

Pre-64 Model 70 .375 H&H complete bolt with Enfield P14/17 extractor next to it​
1751199435206.png



M70 Classis 300 H&H complete bolt with Enfield P14/17 extractor next to it
1751199458804.png
​

M70 Classic .416 Remcomplete bolt with fitted Enfield P14/16 extractor
with Enfield P14/17 extractor next to it
1751199528395.png


Top: M70 Classic 300 H&H complete bolt
Bottom: M70 Classic .416 Remington with P14/17 extractor
​
1751199347698.png
 
Mark.

Some History is needed.

In 1925 Winchester went from the thin .045" hook to the .090" thick hook that we all know as the M70 Extractor Hook, thus the letter A added to the later model 54 receiver serial number to note the change. All M70's have the thicker hook

When the USRA Custom shop started making the Classic action in the late 1980"s they outsourced the extractor to Walt Lodewick. He made 500 - 600 extractors from 5160 alloy steel up to his retirement in 1994

USRA then had the Extractor made using the Powdered Metal Process, these are the ones that break

USRA wanted a second source and contacted Williams Mfg in OR. He machined both alloy and stainless extractors for a number of years until his retirement.

USRA did reach out to me at one point for production of Extractors but that never went any where.

Over the years I have made extractors for both the Pre and Post 64 M70 actions, yes they are slightly different in the collar and hook area

Yes a 1917 extractor can be modified in width to fit the M70 bolt, also a 1903 extractor will simply go on. The issue is the thinner hook when putting a round in the chamber and closing the bolt on that loaded round.

Hope this helps
WCF
 
So this is a design problem or a metallurgical problem? I ask because I have three M70 Classics (New Haven) and may buy more.
 
Had one break on a classic left hand action. I do believe to avoid this is to load from the magazine like a Mauser therefore avoiding the chance of breaking the connecting leg of the extractor, which is where mine broke. The claw riding over the rim of the cartridge when loaded directly into the chamber puts to much stress on the attachment leg of the extractor.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,119
Members
169,704
Latest member
GilbertGrant
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top