Model 70 .375 Safari Express Shooting Low

DLB3

AH member
Reaction score
I’ve been having trouble getting my scope zeroed on my M70 .375. It has a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 mounted with Warne low QD rings and bases. I’m shooting Federal 300 grain Nosler Partitions.

The first time I took it out, my elevation turret maxed out and still shot 6 inches low at 50 yards. Thinking it was the scope, I sent it in to Leupold and they increased the travel.

After remounting it, the bore sighting was off paper low, maxed elevation still 3 inches low. The groups are cloverleafing just shooting low. Does the front base need to be shimmed and how will this affect 2 piece bases? Any advice appreciated!

Are your scope rings matched correctly? Is it possible they aren't correct from the factory? I've seen 20 moa rings that would solve the problem without redneck engineering, though shims would work too. I had a model 70 supergrade once that was off paper to the left from the factory with a leupold scope. Sent the gun back to winchester and they replaced it because the mounting holes were drilled off centerline too much to salvage. I can't imagine what would be wrong with the gun to make it low though.

Are your scope rings matched correctly? Is it possible they aren't correct from the factory? I've seen 20 moa rings that would solve the problem without redneck engineering, though shims would work too. I had a model 70 supergrade once that was off paper to the left from the factory with a leupold scope. Sent the gun back to winchester and they replaced it because the mounting holes were drilled off centerline too much to salvage. I can't imagine what would be wrong with the gun to make it low though.
They look identical to me. Maybe the front base is out of spec? Everything I’ve heard about Warne has been positive though. May try shimming and see where that gets me.

I'd try to measure the bases and rings best you can to see if something is off. It's rare but check to see if your barrel is bent, just pull the bolt and look down the bore.

I shimmed my .300wm in the field with a beer can and scissors, doesnt take much to add inches
^^^ This. I had to do a similar thing for my .416 B&M and Leica scope.

Shimming under the base or under the scope in the ring? Also, would I shim the rear?
Rear , between the base screws, tighten up to specs

One more thing, would this be one layer of beer can to start or a couple?
One to start. You want to do the minimum of this that is required and no more. That said, you could add an additional layer if needed, but i doubt you'll need it.

If the scope has been on other rifles perhaps the reticle needs to be re-centered

Another option is to use Burris Signature rings with inserts, 20 moa adjustment with 30mm rings.

They shouldn’t look identical at all .The back is much thicker. Correct Warne bases for your gun are M902/802M. If they’re the same thickness then your gun will definitely shoot in the dirt.

Last edited:
@DLB3
Good point by @deewayne2003.
Some photos would help

Next.
Check other ammo. This much offset is not expected just for barrel harmonics, but try.

Next
Try another scope. if you have on hand.

Next.
Although not intended at first, and if above point is checked, take 20 moa rail, inclined.
Piccatiny is ugly (on classic rifle) but functional

Next.
Gunsmith to file of one base. Or try another mounts.

I heard there was occasional issue with some zkk and cz rifles, they did not have barrel aligned with action. Hope its not in your case. But adjusting the mounts in one way or another will be most likely solution even in that case.

Once I faced similar problem. I installed 20 moa rail on 22 rifle. I was not able to get zero on 50 meters. After checking everything i took it to gunsmith. It turned out that factory rail 20 moa, was actually 40 moa inclined. He filed off to proper size, and everything was fine later.

They shouldn’t look identical at all .The back is much thicker. Correct Warne bases for your gun are M902/802M. If they’re the same thickness then your gun will definitely shoot in the dirt.
To illustrate the point @Vintageguy and @deewayne2003 are making - here's a picture of my .375 m70. It has Talley rings and bases, but you can see the difference in height between the back base and the front one. The Warne bases should be likewise asymmetrical.
IMG_9417.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
41On

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.