Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi AH,

been looking a lot online, and on the AH forum for recommendations on mid-range scopes. (it shouldn't always be 2-3KEUR scopes)

I have my (new to me) Ruger No1 270Win to be scoped and I do not want to put an optic on it that will be 4 times the cost of the rifle. I'm currently considering straight tube scopes as well as 42mm objective's to have a little extra light gathering ability. I'd like to come in under 500EUR, but having looked at different brands, this seems to be complicated to find anything good...

Looking at Zeiss Terra, GPO, Leupold VX-3, Meopta, Noblex,

Thanks!

V.

I own two VX3I, 3-10x40s and have had no issues. One is on a 30-06 and another is on a 275 Rigby. I would describe them as good reliable scopes. I am sure not the best glass, but without a doubt sufficient. I have never owned any other brand than Leupold or Redfield so In cannot comment on the rest.

Hi AH,

been looking a lot online, and on the AH forum for recommendations on mid-range scopes. (it shouldn't always be 2-3KEUR scopes)

I have my (new to me) Ruger No1 270Win to be scoped and I do not want to put an optic on it that will be 4 times the cost of the rifle. I'm currently considering straight tube scopes as well as 42mm objective's to have a little extra light gathering ability. I'd like to come in under 500EUR, but having looked at different brands, this seems to be complicated to find anything good...

Thanks!

V.
@VertigoBE
I have both Ziess Terra and meopto and for my money both are excellent with good eye relief for the heavier kickers. Both have 4" of eye relief.
You don't say what caliber you are putting it on.
My Ziess is on my Whelen and has a thicker duplex reticle.
I have a 3.5 to 10 x44 bdc meopta on my 25 and a meopta 3.5 to 10 x44 on my K Hornet.
With the meopta scopes the clarity is that good I can easily see 22 cal holes at 100 yards.
Both the Ziess and meopta have very accurate graduations and track well.
The best thing is they all cost less than $600 AUD.
Bob

Hi AH,

Thanks!

V.

Are Zeiss Terra scopes still available in Europe? Im pretty sure they discontinued them here in the US.. They still sell Terra line binos, but I havent seen Terra scopes in probably 3+ years in the US.

I've always been a very big proponent of Zeiss. I think you get a lot of optic for your money with them. I also really like Meopta.. But for something of a mid-line affordable optic Leupold is very hard to beat.. Ive got probably a half dozen rifles wearing everything from VX Freedom to VX6.. and have never been disappointed by any of them.. Good clarity.. well made.. outstanding warranty.. great customer service.. all at an affordable price..

Given the options you have provided, I'd go Leupold every time..

V.

I know this will make some ripples but I've recently done some research on mid-range scopes (when did 400yds become mid-range....) the Leupold Freedom series that replaced VX-1 and VX-2 is a darn good piece of glass regardless of cost. I know it doesn't have the sex appeal of a $$$ Euro scope and performance, yet it's 90% or more there. And the no questions asked lifetime warranty is no B.S. Do your own research on it, I think you'll be surprised on what you get for your money.

Tommy

Hi AH,

Thanks!

V.
Vortex gives you by far the biggest bang for your money. Quality and light gathering. I no longer own any but used to have 5. As I bought classic DRs and Rigby bolt actions I moved to Saworski scopes

the Leupold Freedom series that replaced VX-1 and VX-2 is a darn good piece of glass regardless of cost.

Ive got a Freedom on one of my .308's that I hunt with regularly and another one on my 7x57.. at the ranges and conditions I use those rifles I have exactly ZERO complaints.. plenty of clarity, plenty of light gathering, etc... I have no regrets at all for making the purchases.. and will likely buy another Freedom for a beater old 30-06 that I keep around as a loaner rifle..

and when using their VIP program (military vets, etc) the price is absolutely unbeatable for pretty much any Leupold product when compared to something similar from other manufacturers (ridiculously cheap for the Freedom line..)..

Vortex gives you by far the biggest bang for your money. Quality and light gathering. I no longer own any but used to have 5. As I bought classic DRs and Rigby bolt actions I moved to Saworski scopes

I like Vortex for an affordable scope option as well... But Im not sure how available they are in Belgium...

I've got a good buddy in Norway that wanted to go with Vortex for a rifle he was putting together and couldnt find what he was looking for in Norway or even in any of the other nearby countries.. He ended up going with Leupold instead.. not because he preferred it, but because it was what he could get his hands on..

I like Vortex for an affordable scope option as well... But Im not sure how available they are in Belgium...

I've got a good buddy in Norway that wanted to go with Vortex for a rifle he was putting together and couldnt find what he was looking for in Norway or even in any of the other nearby countries.. He ended up going with Leupold instead.. not because he preferred it, but because it was what he could get his hands on..
Vortex is actually more available than Leupold is. Apart from an online site called optics-trade.eu, I cannot find any Leupold.

Are Zeiss Terra scopes still available in Europe? Im pretty sure they discontinued them here in the US.. They still sell Terra line binos, but I havent seen Terra scopes in probably 3+ years in the US.

I've always been a very big proponent of Zeiss. I think you get a lot of optic for your money with them. I also really like Meopta.. But for something of a mid-line affordable optic Leupold is very hard to beat.. Ive got probably a half dozen rifles wearing everything from VX Freedom to VX6.. and have never been disappointed by any of them.. Good clarity.. well made.. outstanding warranty.. great customer service.. all at an affordable price..

Given the options you have provided, I'd go Leupold every time..
It looks like it: https://www.worldclassga.be/product-page/zeiss-terra-3x-3-9-42 for a price of 455 EUR (=500USD)

Meopta I do not really know...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.45.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.45.29 PM.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 64
@VertigoBE
I have both Ziess Terra and meopto and for my money both are excellent with good eye relief for the heavier kickers. Both have 4" of eye relief.
You don't say what caliber you are putting it on.
My Ziess is on my Whelen and has a thicker duplex reticle.
I have a 3.5 to 10 x44 bdc meopta on my 25 and a meopta 3.5 to 10 x44 on my K Hornet.
With the meopta scopes the clarity is that good I can easily see 22 cal holes at 100 yards.
Both the Ziess and meopta have very accurate graduations and track well.
The best thing is they all cost less than $600 AUD.
Bob
Thanks Bob,

would that be something like these models?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.07 PM.png
    790.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.11 PM.png
    855.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.23 PM.png
    737.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.46.25 PM.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 59
Vortex is actually more available than Leupold is. Apart from an online site called optics-trade.eu, I cannot find any Leupold.

Vortex might be a really nice option for you then.. Their Crossfire line is pretty low end.. but I'd argue that their Diamondback line is probably on par with the entry level Leupolds (VX Freedom), their Viper line is probably on par with VX3, and their Razor line will compete with the mid price range european optics like the Zeiss Conquest or the Swaro Z3, etc.. (although the Razor starts to get pretty expensive).. And Vortex also has exceptional customer service and an exceptional warranty..

Ive got a Freedom on one of my .308's that I hunt with regularly and another one on my 7x57.. at the ranges and conditions I use those rifles I have exactly ZERO complaints.. plenty of clarity, plenty of light gathering, etc... I have no regrets at all for making the purchases.. and will likely buy another Freedom for a beater old 30-06 that I keep around as a loaner rifle..

and when using their VIP program (military vets, etc) the price is absolutely unbeatable for pretty much any Leupold product when compared to something similar from other manufacturers (ridiculously cheap for the Freedom line..)..
This is why I was considering Leupold too. Lot's of great reviews (from US residents), although it is much less known here in Europe.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/leupold-vx-freedom-3-9x40-cds.html for 360EUR or about 400USD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.09 PM.png
    711.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.11 PM.png
    746.7 KB · Views: 55
Thanks Bob,

would that be something like these models?
I have that 1-6 Meopta on my 416. It is a really nice scope, but be aware the turrets are big and the scope is 20oz (sorry I don’t remember the kg, maybe 0,7kg :E Shrug:). There’s nothing svelte about it, but it’s well made. I’ll post some pictures for scale.

Leupold 2-7x33 would be fitting on a nice little Ruger #1
Don’t get all out of proportion, throwing balance and handling out the window by mounting some big/heavy Hubble telescope on it.
I do like the suggestion of this 2x ( on lowest magnification) optic. Perhaps more appropriate for a svelte stalking rifle.

I just bought one of these and it is incredible for the money. FAR superior to anything else I have in that price range. For the rifle you are asking about, it doesn't fit as well as others, but if you want something up to a 42mm, you might spec them out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.52 PM.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.53 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.47.57 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.09 PM.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.48.12 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have a slightly different opinion on the Vortex optics. I believe they have their place and now have a large enough following that has incrementally driven up prices beyond what they should be. I believe superior optics can be had from companies like Leupold for similar prices to Vortex, with the exception of Vortex’s lowest lines. I believe quality control is truly lacking with Vortex, whether it be a problem out of the box or a problem that develops in the field, they are much more common than with other quality companies. They have an unbeatable warranty, but so does Leupold. I own multiple Vortex and multiple Leupold. Dollar for dollar the Leupolds perform better and I have more confidence in their reliability.

Nope, you can get Hawke and Athlon pretty much the exact same chinese made product for a good 20-40% less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross