Merkel 141

GerardV

AH senior member
Joined
Dec 7, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
90
Location
Sydney
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I'm considering purchasing a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r, however I am sceptical about the weight of the rifle (~3kg) in such a calibre. Has anyone shot this rifle in 9.3x74r before and if so, how was the handling and recoil?

Or would I be better off waiting for a Merkel 140 (4.6kg) to come up on the market?
 
I have not shot one but handled a few 141s in that caliber. It seemed about the right weight. I think stock fit would be a more important factor to consider. They normally have a hogs back Germanic stocks that some find uncomfortable.

But to each their own
 
I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.
 
I cannot speak about a Merkel 141, I did have a Sabatti in 9.3x74R and it kicked about like my .375H&H kicks.
 
I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.
Was this with iron sights or scoped?
 
My wife shoots a Chapuis in that same weight range, she is 5,2' and 150 and has no recoil complaint

IMG_3297.jpeg
Facetune_03-11-2023-10-53-03.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,620
Members
169,383
Latest member
Sheri37162
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top