Merkel 140 vs. Blaser S2

Here to you Altitude sickness & BeeMaa my Blaser S2

IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing is that I want to get a double rifle, my budget is 5000$.

So far I have seen a merkel 140, the blaser s2, a chapuis and an EGO that meet the budget. All of them in 375 h&h caliber. I like the caliber, I have used it in my blaser r93 (I no longer own it), and I am happy shooting with it, but I don't know how well a rimless cartridge will work in a double rifle, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the subject. Also, I don't know if the blaser, the chapuis or the EGO has ejectors, I prefer to have them in spite of using a rimless caliber (since they are reputable gunsmiths, I presume that the ejectors should not cause too many problems).

As I do not reload cartridges, I only use factory loads, one good thing about the blaser is that since the barrel can be adjusted, I can adapt it to the cartridge I use (considering the shortage of ammunition this is another advantage). About the others DRs , I do not know which cartridge was used by the gunsmith, or how they will behave with other ammunition, if someone can tell me about it, I would appreciate it. .

Thanks in advance
I owned a Chapuis in 450-400 DR that had ejectors but at a $12,000 price. If you found a DR other than a Sabatti at or under $5,000 in a Merkle or Chapuis it would have been a deal if in decent condition. The only thing about DRs unlike bolt guns is problems can be hidden and cost a pretty penny to repair

Thank you... sorry it took so long to post it.

Thank you! They could be considered relatively affordable, (spec'd dependent). I may be mistaken .. thought the Barrels/Calibers were possibly interchangeable? Beautiful S2, regret not moving forward while available on GB..

Totally so. I have 30-06, .375, and 500-416 barrels for mine. Just like a R8 they remain perfectly sighted in with their dedicated scope when switching them.

Totally so. I have 30-06, .375, and 500-416 barrels for mine. Just like a R8 they remain perfectly sighted in with their dedicated scope when switching them.
How much does your rifle weigh? Also, do the different barrels use the same forend? I would assume so, and would assume the 30/06 is the heaviest configuration, if the barrels are all the same diameter?
Also, how does the scope affect the balance?
Thanks!

the thing is that I want to get a double rifle, my budget is 5000$.

So far I have seen a merkel 140, the blaser s2, a chapuis and an EGO that meet the budget. All of them in 375 h&h caliber. I like the caliber, I have used it in my blaser r93 (I no longer own it), and I am happy shooting with it, but I don't know how well a rimless cartridge will work in a double rifle, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the subject. Also, I don't know if the blaser, the chapuis or the EGO has ejectors, I prefer to have them in spite of using a rimless caliber (since they are reputable gunsmiths, I presume that the ejectors should not cause too many problems).

As I do not reload cartridges, I only use factory loads, one good thing about the blaser is that since the barrel can be adjusted, I can adapt it to the cartridge I use (considering the shortage of ammunition this is another advantage). About the others DRs , I do not know which cartridge was used by the gunsmith, or how they will behave with other ammunition, if someone can tell me about it, I would appreciate it. .

Thanks in advance
i have owned the Merkel and Chapuis both did very well for me with zero complaints. i cannot comment on the Blaser given I just personally do not like them even though they are great guns

Another good thing about the Blaser platform is the huge availability of aftermarket parts. Mounts, stocks, you name it..

@Red Leg please see my question above. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Different forend for 9.3 and below. The 30-06 is significantly lighter than the .375 or 500/416.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the double rifle rabbit hole. The Chapuis Iphisi is the best value in the market right now in a 375 double, non flanged, optic ready, traditional look, regulated with Hornady ammo. The Blaser double sure did get a bad rap, kinda like a lead balloon, but sure the dang thing works as does all Blaser stuff, they can’t help that they’re ugly. I’ve owned 3 Markel’s in my lifetime and for one reason or another I never felt like I needed to keep any of them. One friend of mine had a merkel frame crack on a 500ne, and I had the lead in the butt stock come loose and try and come through the recoil pad. doubled are largely personal preference, and anything with 2 pipes is cool.

In that class of DR . A step up in my opinion I may be selling my Krieghoff Classic in 500/416 soon.
It probably won't last long if you do put it up for sale.

I have the 140AE in 470NE and a 500NE I’ve taken a Cape buffalo with the 470NE and I’ve found a reload that works for it perfectly also have a good supply of 500g woodleigh soft nose ,
500 trying 570 tsx for expanding otherwise factory solids for DG
price point was determine factor on first purchase thereafter same feel when using and handling and basically same recoil

Last edited:
I just returned from the DSC and I think I am going to book a 18 day Safari for Lion, Buffalo, Hippo and some plain game animals in 2025. Definitely want to experience my
double on a Lion & Buffalo. Then I may be in the market to sell it....MAYBE ???????

That’s how I got mine, a guy much more well off than me took in on a big DG trip and then offloaded it a couple years later with all the components, optic, and the metal shipping case. I got it for a song, and I love it. The kit was probably $25-30K new and I have less than 1/4 of that into it or it wouldn’t have been feasible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg