Merkel 140 vs. Blaser S2

Theleatherman

AH member
Reaction score
If you had to choose between these two double rifles, both German DRs, and being the same caliber, which one would you pick and why, Merkel 140 or Blaser S2?

I am all ears.

I would (and did) choose the Merkel for its classic look. If looks are not an issue, the Blaser has the loved/hated safety and deadly accuracy for a double. Red Leg will be one of the best to comment on this as he uses classic doubles as well as the Blaser.

Safe shooting

I do not own a double, have looked and handled both. If I were to buy one of the 2 listed it would be the S2. It has more engineering and safety built into it.

Not sure what your budget is, for the price of a Chapuis. I would lean that direction if it were my money.

I bet the S2 would’ve enjoyed immense popularity if it weren’t for that automatic safety. And that odd looking extension of the barrels/chambers. I’m sure it’s necessary to the design but it just seems like it could possibly get in the way of a hurried reload. I don’t think it’s just looks that did it in because IMO the Krieghoff is just as visually unappealing. Still wouldn’t mind owning a K-gun though as it does seem to be close to the perfect blend of engineering and safety

the thing is that I want to get a double rifle, my budget is 5000$.

So far I have seen a merkel 140, the blaser s2, a chapuis and an EGO that meet the budget. All of them in 375 h&h caliber. I like the caliber, I have used it in my blaser r93 (I no longer own it), and I am happy shooting with it, but I don't know how well a rimless cartridge will work in a double rifle, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the subject. Also, I don't know if the blaser, the chapuis or the EGO has ejectors, I prefer to have them in spite of using a rimless caliber (since they are reputable gunsmiths, I presume that the ejectors should not cause too many problems).

As I do not reload cartridges, I only use factory loads, one good thing about the blaser is that since the barrel can be adjusted, I can adapt it to the cartridge I use (considering the shortage of ammunition this is another advantage). About the others DRs , I do not know which cartridge was used by the gunsmith, or how they will behave with other ammunition, if someone can tell me about it, I would appreciate it. .

Thanks in advance

I bet the S2 would’ve enjoyed immense popularity if it weren’t for that automatic safety. And that odd looking extension of the barrels/chambers. I’m sure it’s necessary to the design but it just seems like it could possibly get in the way of a hurried reload. I don’t think it’s just looks that did it in because IMO the Krieghoff is just as visually unappealing. Still wouldn’t mind owning a K-gun though as it does seem to be close to the perfect blend of engineering and safety
For me this is not a problem because I am used to remove the safety while raising the gun.

I own the K-gun in 9.3 and 470NE. I have handled two and shot one S2 and nearly ended up purchasing a very nice S2 in 9.3x74R, I didn't only because I already have a 9.3 barrel set for my K-gun. I have hunted Water Buffalo with the Merkel double in 470NE. The rifle worked just fine.

I do not like the auto safety of the S2, and the very loud sound this rifle makes when breaking the action while cocked (quiet when uncocked). Otherwise, it's a great rifle. Between Merkel and Blaser, solely due to the auto safety, for DG I think I would pick Merkel, otherwise the S2. However, if I got to spend a few days with the S2 it's possible I would change my mind and go with Blaser.

The Krieghoff ticked all the boxes for me and the cocking/safety mechanism gives a great piece of mind.

So far I have seen a merkel 140, the blaser s2, a chapuis and an EGO that meet the budget. All of them in 375 h&h caliber. I like the caliber, I have used it in my blaser r93 (I no longer own it), and I am happy shooting with it, but I don't know how well a rimless cartridge will work in a double rifle, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the subject. Also, I don't know if the blaser, the chapuis or the EGO has ejectors, I prefer to have them in spite of using a rimless caliber (since they are reputable gunsmiths, I presume that the ejectors should not cause too many problems).

As I do not reload cartridges, I only use factory loads, one good thing about the blaser is that since the barrel can be adjusted, I can adapt it to the cartridge I use (considering the shortage of ammunition this is another advantage). About the others DRs , I do not know which cartridge was used by the gunsmith, or how they will behave with other ammunition, if someone can tell me about it, I would appreciate it. .

Thanks in advance

Not sure where you are located or what it would take to import a rifle from Poland but there is a neat K Gun in 375H&H flanged advertised for sale over here priced at about 5500USD. They claim it's had 80 rounds fired through it. It looks pretty new.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.31.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.31.21 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
If you had to choose between these two double rifles, both German DRs, and being the same caliber, which one would you pick and why, Merkel 140 or Blaser S2?

I am all ears.
I think the Blaser S2 is the better value. Exceptional Blaser ergonomics. Easy optic mounting options. Accuracy beyond a typical double. Ability to add barrels of different caliber.

Prices are definitely kept down due to the auto safety (which I hate). If I shoot the Blaser with an extra 5 grand in my pocket, can I get used to it??? For the above mentioned reasons, I am believing more and more that the safety is doable.

This one just sold for $7722 including buyers premium.

This was listed at 8500 and nobody bid. Then lowered to 7999, but the auction was ended early with no bids. I had been thinking about making an offer on this so I contacted the seller, turns out he sold it locally. Not sure on the final sales price but I suspect it was under the 7999. I was a day late :-(

First double rifle still eludes me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.31.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.31.55 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.12 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.13 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 10.32.14 AM.png
    928 KB · Views: 107
I'll admit I know almost nothing about Merkel so I'll just ask these questions. Does the Merkel:

-Have integrated QD scope mounts?
-Is user regulated?

If either are both are "No" than it's a hands down easy choice to go S2, especially if the caliber is .375HH which you may want to scope for plains game. I absolutely love my S2 because of the features that set it apart from every other double. Makes it so enjoyable to use and universal enough to use more often.

IMO the decocked of the safety is an awesome feature and the "auto" portion of it is absolutely not an issue. Especially with DG, you should have put enough practice to not have thats be a problem. Hell, doesnt matter hunting, competition, or target shooting, I never have to think about a safety going on or off no matter what gun is in my hand...but they ALWAYS are in the state they need to be. Purely repetitions, and you dont even need to burn live ammo to get the reps in either.

@Theleatherman I have never heard of EGO. Who are they??
My vote goes merkel they just seem better built without the funny midrib thing that the S2 has

Not sure where you are located or what it would take to import a rifle from Poland but there is a neat K Gun in 375H&H flanged advertised for sale over here priced at about 5500USD. They claim it's had 80 rounds fired through it. It looks pretty new.
I wish I could, a flanged caliber is the best option in my opinion for a DR, but in Spain I have not found any seller of ammunition of this type (I think they were sold only by norma, but not anymore) , and I don't reload, nor do I have the time or patience to do it, so I have to stay with factory loads.

@Theleatherman I have never heard of EGO. Who are they??
My vote goes merkel they just seem better built without the funny midrib thing that the S2 has
It was a gun factory in Spain, the guns (double rifles and shotguns) were manufactured by Florentino Arizaga in the Basque Country, but as far as I understand it no longer exists. On the internet there is not much information about it, I don't know if the factory was bought by Parkemy Arms: https://armasparkemy.com/
But EGO guns were of the same category as the ones of Grulla: https://www.grullaarmas.com/en/

Here is a picture of a 9,3x74 ego DR that I found on the internet

326202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance
Your problem will always be factory ammo and DR just do not go together. Reloading is just do important due to regulation

Your problem will always be factory ammo and DR just do not go together. Reloading is just do important due to regulation
Then is the blaser for me, even though I find it the ugliest one (Fortunately, it's not beauty what I look in a rifle, but reliability and accuracy).
Does anyone know how much it weighs in 375 caliber? I have read some reviews that say it is very heavy.
Also, does it exist with ejectors? the one I am considering has extractors, but if it exists with ejectors, I prefer it and instead would look for one with them.

I would also look at the new Chapuis in 375 H&H. It is a beautiful rifle and I have never heard of a Chapuis that does not shoot good. I have trouble dealing with ugly when it comes to firearms. But beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. My wife must have thought that when she met me. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Safe shooting

I would also look at the new Chapuis in 375 H&H. It is a beautiful rifle and I have never heard of a Chapuis that does not shoot good. I have trouble dealing with ugly when it comes to firearms. But beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. My wife must have thought that when she met me. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Safe shooting
Beauty..... as it turns out....is in the eye of the beer holder. :D Beers:

Then is the blaser for me, even though I find it the ugliest one (Fortunately, it's not beauty what I look in a rifle, but reliability and accuracy).
Does anyone know how much it weighs in 375 caliber? I have read some reviews that say it is very heavy.
Also, does it exist with ejectors? the one I am considering has extractors, but if it exists with ejectors, I prefer it and instead would look for one with them.
Not necessarily. The key will be whatever you buy make sure you get the following before you buy:
1. Powder type for regulation
2. Exact bullet used brand and grain
3. Exact grains of powder for regulation

@Red Leg can direct you to a custom ammunition developer who if you give the above to can provide you with the perfect ammunition regulated to your rifle. I just want to save you the pain of having to do this on your own. Please trust me on the hard won wisdom on this based on experience

I own a Blaser S2 with barrels in 500/416, .375 H&H, and 30-06. I have used it on everything from cape buffalo to duiker with the .375 and 30-06 barrels. I have killed game from fifty yards to a bit over two-hundred with it. I should note that I also own traditional doubles in .470 and 9.3x74r (x3).

The S2 is different than most other double rifles. It is extraordinarily accurate, has perfect ergonomics, excellent open sights, and is designed from jump street for a detachable scope or other optic sights. Sadly, the fact that it was not traditional garnered it a lot of negative press. Terry Weiland, whose writing I otherwise like, absolutely hated it, and the majority of gun scribes jumped on that band wagon. It simply wasn't a traditional double. If you search diligently here, you will find a couple of posters attempting to criticize my experiences with the rifle. I apparently wasn't using a double "properly." Proper or not, I was certainly pleased with it taking a wonderful free range Mozambique nyala at 175 yards.

The "automatic safety" observation is one of the most common criticisms of the rifle. For me this is a non issue, but for others it could be one. I primarily hunt with SxS and OU shotguns. Probably 3/4's of those made after WWII have auto safeties. When either hits my cheek and shoulder the safety is automatically being pressed forward. I do the same with the cocking lever of the S2 (or one of my Blaser R8's). If I want a silent reload, a slight down pressure on the cocking slide releases it and the barrels drop open silently.

The tilting breach block also gets criticism from people who have never used the rifle. Reload is a non issue, and unlike any traditional lock, the S2 will never shoot loose (it is impossible for it to go off face). From a price perspective, a lightly used one will be in the same general range as a Merkel. I think it is from a design, accuracy, and ergonomic perspective, a far better rifle. But, it is not traditional.

If your intent is to plug a pair of holes in the shoulder of a cape buffalo at 60 yards while wearing your Stuart Granger hat (a worthy aspiration), then by all means get the Merkel. If on the other hand, you want to be able to take the kudu of a lifetime on the nest ridge while trekking the spoor of a buffalo, the S2 is hard to beat.

I own a Blaser S2 with barrels in 500/416, .375 H&H, and 30-06. I have used it on everything from cape buffalo to duiker with the .375 and 30-06 barrels. I have killed game from fifty yards to a bit over two-hundred with it. I should note that I also own traditional doubles in .470 and 9.3x74r (x3).

The S2 is different than most other double rifles. It is extraordinarily accurate, has perfect ergonomics, excellent open sights, and is designed from jump street for a detachable scope or other optic sights. Sadly, the fact that it was not traditional garnered it a lot of negative press. Terry Weiland, whose writing I otherwise like, absolutely hated it, and the majority of gun scribes jumped on that band wagon. It simply wasn't a traditional double. If you search diligently here, you will find a couple of posters attempting to criticize my experiences with the rifle. I apparently wasn't using a double "properly." Proper or not, I was certainly pleased with it taking a wonderful free range Mozambique nyala at 175 yards.

The "automatic safety" observation is one of the most common criticisms of the rifle. For me this is a non issue, but for others it could be one. I primarily hunt with SxS and OU shotguns. Probably 3/4's of those made after WWII have auto safeties. When either hits my cheek and shoulder the safety is automatically being pressed forward. I do the same with the cocking lever of the S2 (or one of my Blaser R8's). If I want a silent reload, a slight down pressure on the cocking slide releases it and the barrels drop open silently.

The tilting breach block also gets criticism from people who have never used the rifle. Reload is a non issue, and unlike any traditional lock, the S2 will never shoot loose (it is impossible for it to go off face). From a price perspective, a lightly used one will be in the same general range as a Merkel. I think it is from a design, accuracy, and ergonomic perspective, a far better rifle. But, it is not traditional.

If your intent is to plug a pair of holes in the shoulder of a cape buffalo at 60 yards while wearing your Stuart Granger hat (a worthy aspiration), then by all means get the Merkel. If on the other hand, you want to be able to take the kudu of a lifetime on the nest ridge while trekking the spoor of a buffalo, the S2 is hard to beat.
No better wisdom has been expressed…@red leg has pretty much owned most of the DRs and so I would go with his explanation. He did a great job of presenting two different experiences…time for you to choose which one lines up with your vision. For me I want and now have the old classic version with my Westley Richards that I would not shoot over 100 yards but I also know I am sacrificing incredible range and accuracy of the Blazer. Your choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross