Merkel 140 reviews

I had to decide between the Merkel and Krieghoff. Spoke to some very competent gunsmiths in SA and the feedback was that the Merkel's weakness is its trigger, which is the Krieghoff's strength. I chose the Krieghoff.
Im in a similar position ATM and I too am starting to lean towards the Kgun

I have the same gun, paid $8500 in the states then sent it to Merkel to have the RMR base milled. I have put a couple hundred round through it and never had a problem. When I first got it I would walk and stalk pigs here in Texas training for African. 2022 rolls around and I shot a lioness at 15 yards and stopped an unprovoked charge by a buffalo.

I was talking to @KMG Hunting Safaris about this as he has a merkel in 500ne. He did have the triggers bend on him but merkel replaced them and no issues since. Feel free to correct me if im wrong Marius
I will correct you my friend. Merkel didn't do sh!t. Had to get them replaced on my own account.

I will correct you my friend. Merkel didn't do sh!t. Had to get them replaced on my own account.
See I knew i got something wrong. When im wrong I will say im wrong. Thanks for the correction bru

I’ve had great luck with mine. No doubling issues and easily found regulating loads with both 500gr Woodleighs, Hornadys, and TSX projectiles. It was originally regulated with Federal/trophy bonded ammo. I bought one of the Cabelas special runs and it came with gorgeous wood. I want to say I paid $10.5k back in 2009/10?

My Merkel I have is a 450-400 and I have not had any issues with any doubling or anything else. This has all been at paper though as I have not been able to take it on a hunt yet. I did buy it used, so part of that process, I sent it to JJ Perodeau to have him go through it, look it over and make sure everything was functioning right, and then regulate it for factory Hornady ammo. He had no complaints about anything on the gun and said it all looked good. No clue what it was regulated for before that but I wasn't able to get it to group well with any reloads or factory stuff. It does much better now with the regulation that JJ did.

I am leaning towards selling it to get a 470 though, just because of the ability for more options for ammo/components. Seems that stuff is more readily available even though it is still rare compared to the 450-400 stuff. I haven't seen any new production of the Hornady DGX Bonded ammo since I bought the gun and I look around a lot, especially on ammoseek. It's a bit ridiculous, as they seemed to have only done a run on their solid line.

I have no complaints on it. I would definitely buy another Merkel without hesitation but my experience with any double is extremely limited.

I have a 140AE in .450-400 3”. It has been reliable, accurate, and satisfactory in every way. I never believed reports of these guns “doubling” until an incident with my Beretta Silver sable 9.3x74 R. I was casually shooting targets with that gun, and neglected to hold it firmly and with my finger completely on the trigger near the first joint crease. Gun “doubled” on firing, which was a surprise, but was entirely my shooter error. If a double with two triggers is held loosely, and the trigger finger positioned with only the round tip on the front trigger, is possible for the finger to slip off during recoil and fire the rear trigger too when the gun bounces back after the first shot. That’s what happened to me with my Beretta.
So if I can make a completely reliable, proven design like the Beretta “double” through careless handling, I’m pretty sure somebody has made a Merkel “double” by doing the same.
Practise a firm grip, place trigger finger on the trigger near the first joint crease, and go slay big beasts with confidence. The Merkel won’t let you down.

I have a 140AE in .450-400 3”. It has been reliable, accurate, and satisfactory in every way. I never believed reports of these guns “doubling” until an incident with my Beretta Silver sable 9.3x74 R. I was casually shooting targets with that gun, and neglected to hold it firmly and with my finger completely on the trigger near the first joint crease. Gun “doubled” on firing, which was a surprise, but was entirely my shooter error. If a double with two triggers is held loosely, and the trigger finger positioned with only the round tip on the front trigger, is possible for the finger to slip off during recoil and fire the rear trigger too when the gun bounces back after the first shot. That’s what happened to me with my Beretta.
So if I can make a completely reliable, proven design like the Beretta “double” through careless handling, I’m pretty sure somebody has made a Merkel “double” by doing the same.
Practise a firm grip, place trigger finger on the trigger near the first joint crease, and go slay big beasts with confidence. The Merkel won’t let you down.
@Longwalker , we've had a Merkel double discharge simply from the front trigger bending far enough over time. The gunsmith luckily saw mine early enough and notified me. We managed to fit a new set of triggers to mine, and there was a considerable difference in the quality, for the better. Double discharging a 500N.E is not really on my bucket list of things to achieve.

Apart from that, its a solid working double rifle.

Fair enough, a 500x2 double discharge certainly would get your attention! Perhaps a shooter could excessively apply "firm" trigger contact, but no trigger should ever bend from use.

Fair enough, a 500x2 double discharge certainly would get your attention! Perhaps a shooter could excessively apply "firm" trigger contact, but no trigger should ever bend from use.
If you see the quality of the original triggers, you will understand. The new triggers are almost double the thickness.
If you search around, you will see quite a few of these reports regarding the Merkel triggers.
Mine is not the only one.

As mentioned bent triggers and double discharging and 0 backup service....never understand that especially when dealing with triggers....
Also had a Kgun 500 double on me and they dont fit me from the factory.....not my fault the K agent fired right after me....same result....many moons ago and I believe that issue has been resolved....
Double I would go
Heym
Krieghoff
Chapuis or
Antonio Zoli(O/U never heard any issues)

Smaller non DG calibers

Krieghoff Ultra
Antonio Zoli(If you can get them to respond)
Blaser(unconventional but very effective)

This would be $8500 US with ammo and case. One could like negotiate as well.
Andrew, I'm sure you're already on top of this but just in case, below is the process from the ATF

Title
What is the process for U.S. citizens to lawfully import firearms from overseas?
Summary
Date Published
12/11/2020 5:41 PM
Content

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulates the permanent importation of defense articles, including firearms. Firearms must be imported by a Federal firearms licensee (FFL)—generally an importer licensed by ATF to routinely engage in that business.
The FFL must obtain an import permit from ATF to import or bring into the United States any firearm. To be imported lawfully, the firearm also must be generally recognized as particularly suitable for, or readily adaptable to, sporting purposes. Surplus military firearms are generally prohibited from importation into the U.S. except for certain curio or relic surplus military firearms imported by licensed importers only.

Provided the firearm is lawfully importable, the person seeking to import the firearm will need to make arrangements with an FFL in his or her State of residence to import the firearm prior to bringing the firearm to the U.S. The FFL must submit an ATF Form 6, Part 1- Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Defense Articles (ATF Form 5330.3A) to ATF to obtain authorization to import the firearm. It generally takes at least 4-6 weeks for ATF to process the ATF Form 6.

If the import permit is not received prior to the firearms arrival into the U.S., Customs and Border Protection will detain the firearm for up to 30 days. If the FFL is unable to get the permit within that time, the firearm may be transferred to a general order warehouse and the importer will have to pay storage fees. After 60 days after transfer to the warehouse, the firearm could be sold at auction.

In accordance to 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(1), it is unlawful for any person except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce.

In accordance to 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(3), with limited exceptions, it is unlawful for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the state where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State.

For more information, please visit the ATF Website.

Article Number

Opinions on this rifle please. Yes, I know It’s not a heym or VC but is it dependable.
Andrew I have a 140 and I like it very much. PM me and I am happy to discuss

Get you a double and get to practicing! Africa is calling....

I have a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R. It is the first double I bought, and I have put over 1000 rounds through it with zero issues. When I worked for TKE, Steyr-Merkel USA was a short drive from one of our factories, so I visited them several times when I was in the area.

An acquaintance that I would see at our gun club in Florida hated Merkel doubles over the doubling issues. He had (and sold) a couple and claimed they all doubled. He fired mine and was able to make it double. As I never had that issue before or since, I think in his case it was pure shooter error. I have seen the thin trigger issue that Marius had with his Merkel. Thankfully, mine does not have that issue. As far as Merkel (lack of) support, even the guys at Merkel USA in Alabama would bash the German Merkel HQ over their lack of customer support.

If I saw a used Merkel at a good price and wanted it, I would buy it. However, were I to buy another double rifle in the future, it will be a Chapuis or a Heym.

Safe shooting

Where do you find Merkel doubles in the U.S.?
Thanks!

I have a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R. It is the first double I bought, and I have put over 1000 rounds through it with zero issues. When I worked for TKE, Steyr-Merkel USA was a short drive from one of our factories, so I visited them several times when I was in the area.

An acquaintance that I would see at our gun club in Florida hated Merkel doubles over the doubling issues. He had (and sold) a couple and claimed they all doubled. He fired mine and was able to make it double. As I never had that issue before or since, I think in his case it was pure shooter error. I have seen the thin trigger issue that Marius had with his Merkel. Thankfully, mine does not have that issue. As far as Merkel (lack of) support, even the guys at Merkel USA in Alabama would bash the German Merkel HQ over their lack of customer support.

If I saw a used Merkel at a good price and wanted it, I would buy it. However, were I to buy another double rifle in the future, it will be a Chapuis or a Heym.

Safe shooting

I dont think its a generational Merkel problem. Personally, I think it was just a batch of triggers that were possibly incorrectly heat treated compromising the structural integrity of the metal.
I have not heard of the same issues on the older Merkels.

I dont think its a generational Merkel problem. Personally, I think it was just a batch of triggers that were possibly incorrectly heat treated compromising the structural integrity of the metal.
I have not heard of the same issues on the older Merkels.
Mine was a 2003 model. It was before they moved away from shoe lump barrels to monoblock. Of course the barrels had nothing to do with them doubling, but like you said, maybe it's the newer ones that had an issue.

Mine was a 2003 model. It was before they moved away from shoe lump barrels to monoblock. Of course the barrels had nothing to do with them doubling, but like you said, maybe it's the newer ones that had an issue.
After speaking with Ralph regarding this particular rifle, the newer rifles have much less workman ship, lower quality wood (laser checkered), laser engraved. He states that they two different quality rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you