Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
I was wondering if anyone else with one of these had the same issue...over last couple of years the stock has become very sticky to the touch....sticks to my shirt, and fibres from the gun sock stick to it along with other bits of fabric, hairs etc...due to this am bit wary of using it as dust and grit etc will also stick to it...

20230417_100550.jpg

Push my thumb or fingers on and it leaves a print ...
20230417_100516.jpg

20230417_100521.jpg

If I run my thumbnail along it it leaves a mark...
20230417_100752.jpg

This is on top of the grip behind receiver...the ripple sort of bits i can push around with a finger and sort of squish....
20230418_161313.jpg

The shiny bits are more sticky....but it's basically the whole stock that has gone like this....not great as I really like it...

Alot of synthetic stocks are going like this these days, especially in hot and humid climates. I know someone that's had the stock on his Sako blackbear replaced 3 times now, he's giving up and selling the rifle and moving on. Its seems to be the soft touch stocks that are the issue, I haven't seen it happen obviously with polymer or the Hogue rubber stocks but all the "soft touch" stocks seem to have the potential to end up like this.

Believe it was/is also an i ssue with the howa Hogue stocks, i know of a few people here in OZ that have used alcohol or meths to rub the soft touch layer off. NOt sure if that will work with the Mauser one obviously

Ok thanks all for replies and info....not good it would seem....so far @Aussie_Hunter sounds like my problem....started after had it for a bit , but noticed it at first after the summer rainy season...I keep it in a browning gun sock to help keep out the humidity in the gun safe...seems to work with my other ones....but yeah I definitely noticed it first as I said towards end of rains one year....

Believe it was/is also an i ssue with the howa Hogue stocks, i know of a few people here in OZ that have used alcohol or meths to rub the soft touch layer off. NOt sure if that will work with the Mauser one obviously

Might give it a go as cant really use it as it is....feels like it's covered in cellotape . Taking it to gunshop and will see what options , but being out here doubt much can be done. Will get price on new one and possibly a wood one...or are there alternative synthetic stocks out there for them that anyone has come across?..

@spike.t The best person to approach for a remedy, might be the owner of a car valet service. Those guys have significant experience with a large variety of surfaces that have been affected by ultraviolet light and moisture, etcetera.

Might give it a go as cant really use it as it is....feels like it's covered in cellotape . Taking it to gunshop and will see what options , but being out here doubt much can be done. Will get price on new one and possibly a wood one...or are there alternative synthetic stocks out there for them that anyone has come across?..
try and get a replacement stock under warranty and then sell it

@spike.t The best person to approach for a remedy, might be the owner of a car valet service. Those guys have significant experience with a large variety of surfaces that have been affected by ultraviolet light and moisture, etcetera.

Not sure that applies here as car " valet" places here.... ;) :E Big Grin:

I have a Sauer 404 with synth stock, love it, but probably go with a wood stock for it soon. FYI I have been advised against using those gun socks for what you want, when I was living in the tropics, wanted to do that, but a local gunshop owner said not to as they did absorb moisture and caused more trouble than they are worth, especially for long term storage. so stayed away, just a good coat of Eezox seemed to do the trick.

I have a Sauer 404 with synth stock, love it, but probably go with a wood stock for it soon. FYI I have been advised against using those gun socks for what you want, when I was living in the tropics, wanted to do that, but a local gunshop owner said not to as they did absorb moisture and caused more trouble than they are worth, especially for long term storage. so stayed away, just a good coat of Eezox seemed to do the trick.

Interesting as to me they have protected the guns as far as I can see...pump shotgun and 22 don't have them for got bit of rust...they are the socks with silicone in them...I presumed that would help keep moisture out....also get good wipe down...

Well I emailed mauser and the gun shop owner got hold of the guy at mauser he deals with...in my email reply they said yes its an issue we are aware of, please contact your gunshop...told them I had....next I know the owner said a new stock is on its way...been there couple of weeks, and managed to get in today and pick it up...impressed with mauser :A Thumbs Up:....when summer and the rains come it will be kept in room where A/C is on from time to time....which fine as not used then

20230707_171702.jpg

Have you though of rubbin some hard shell urethane varnish or clear fiberglass gel coat on it? If you're going to restock it because of the stickiness it may come under the "can't hurt might even help: category.

Have you though of rubbin some hard shell urethane varnish or clear fiberglass gel coat on it? If you're going to restock it because of the stickiness it may come under the "can't hurt might even help: category.

Mmm...the stock has a soft touch feel to it...that would kinda ruin the effect...so as said with the new replacement stock mauser have sent , when summer and hot humid weather is here will keep it in room where a/c is on from time to time....wouldn't be using it during that time here anyway as its Nov to April/may time ...

After I put the new stock on I did an experiment with the old stock....took it outside and poured fine dust on it section by section and brushed it off....and yeah it worked...the stickiness has gone and stock feels fine....slightly different colours over it but looks fine....so maybe a solution....

I have a M12 338 and the stock has gone sticky as well. I have others in 308 and 9.3x62 that seem fine. I emailed Mauser yesterday, let’s see if they respond.

I have a M12 338 and the stock has gone sticky as well. I have others in 308 and 9.3x62 that seem fine. I emailed Mauser yesterday, let’s see if they respond.
Also get your dealer to email them including you and your information on the problem..as I said I did that and even out here a new stock was sent pretty quick

Looks like what happened with the dura touch stocks on browning and winchester. There was a huge recall a few years ago.

I had a winchester stock do the same thing on me several years back.. I ultimately replaced it with a boyds laminate..

I had a winchester stock do the same thing on me several years back.. I ultimately replaced it with a boyds laminate..
I had a SX3 shotgun do that. Sent it back and they redid the stock for free. They still will for any browning/winchester guns that get like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.