Mauser 98 Barrel Profile

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Joined
Sep 21, 2019
Messages
855
Reaction score
1,550
Location
Savannah, GA
Media
22
Hello everyone,

Per a couple of my other threads, I'm interested in building a Mauser 98 in 9.3x62mm. The project has suffered a few setbacks but I'm still determined to go through with it and I wanted a little help.

Here's what I'm going for: Military (preferably German) large-ring Gew98 action, turned-down bolt, Kar98k-style long side rail scope mount + vintage style 4x German scope, sporterized walnut Gew98 stock, modified floorplate with a lever latch for dumping the magazine, NECG 3-leaf express sights OR a standard Kar98k rear sight, ramped front sight with a low light bead and/or hood.

What I'm undecided on is barrel profile. On the one hand, a standard Gew98 military contour is fairly inexpensive and would not require much stock work aside from some extra inletting for bedding. It's the simplest option and one not inappropriate for a rifle that I intend to resemble something that your average hunter/explorer/obtainer of rare antiquities might have toted across the world.

On the other hand, I'm attracted to the octagonal/half-octagonal barrels I've seen on higher grade rifles of the pre-WWII era. They look great, they're a bit heavier by my understanding, and the one from Lothar-Walther does have an integrated rib and front sight. They are, however, considerably more expensive (especially the L-W) and the L-W barrel would have to be chambered by a third party, if I understand correctly, and that would add to the end cost.

If anyone has some thoughts or opinions on which barrel to go with, or has experience with round vs oct/oct-to-round in general, please do leave a comment. Keep in mind that due to the nature of the project I have in mind, contours/profiles besides the military round or oct/oct-to-round ones aren't really on the table. Manufacturer suggestions besides Lothar-Walter and McGowen would also be appreciated.

~~W.G.455
 
Do you mean the military barrel with the “step” in it?
FYI I love the military rear sights and would have never thought of putting one on a sporter.
 
Do you mean the military barrel with the “step” in it?
FYI I love the military rear sights and would have never thought of putting one on a sporter.
That's the one I meant, yes. As for the sights, they don't seem to have been especially common but I've seen military-style ramp/ladder sights on a few Mauser sporting rifles from the time (and on some converted military rifles as well). But I don't think a military sight for an 8mm rifle would be compatible with a 9.3 bullet; I expect I'd have to have the sight altered to reflect the different cartridge or have a blank one done up just for it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,179
Members
169,917
Latest member
SherleneWr
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top