Mauser 98 Barrel Profile

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hello everyone,

Per a couple of my other threads, I'm interested in building a Mauser 98 in 9.3x62mm. The project has suffered a few setbacks but I'm still determined to go through with it and I wanted a little help.

Here's what I'm going for: Military (preferably German) large-ring Gew98 action, turned-down bolt, Kar98k-style long side rail scope mount + vintage style 4x German scope, sporterized walnut Gew98 stock, modified floorplate with a lever latch for dumping the magazine, NECG 3-leaf express sights OR a standard Kar98k rear sight, ramped front sight with a low light bead and/or hood.

What I'm undecided on is barrel profile. On the one hand, a standard Gew98 military contour is fairly inexpensive and would not require much stock work aside from some extra inletting for bedding. It's the simplest option and one not inappropriate for a rifle that I intend to resemble something that your average hunter/explorer/obtainer of rare antiquities might have toted across the world.

On the other hand, I'm attracted to the octagonal/half-octagonal barrels I've seen on higher grade rifles of the pre-WWII era. They look great, they're a bit heavier by my understanding, and the one from Lothar-Walther does have an integrated rib and front sight. They are, however, considerably more expensive (especially the L-W) and the L-W barrel would have to be chambered by a third party, if I understand correctly, and that would add to the end cost.

If anyone has some thoughts or opinions on which barrel to go with, or has experience with round vs oct/oct-to-round in general, please do leave a comment. Keep in mind that due to the nature of the project I have in mind, contours/profiles besides the military round or oct/oct-to-round ones aren't really on the table. Manufacturer suggestions besides Lothar-Walter and McGowen would also be appreciated.

~~W.G.455

Do you mean the military barrel with the “step” in it?
FYI I love the military rear sights and would have never thought of putting one on a sporter.

Do you mean the military barrel with the “step” in it?
FYI I love the military rear sights and would have never thought of putting one on a sporter.
That's the one I meant, yes. As for the sights, they don't seem to have been especially common but I've seen military-style ramp/ladder sights on a few Mauser sporting rifles from the time (and on some converted military rifles as well). But I don't think a military sight for an 8mm rifle would be compatible with a 9.3 bullet; I expect I'd have to have the sight altered to reflect the different cartridge or have a blank one done up just for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg