Mauser 98 and recknagle mount screw thread issues

Buffhunter

AH member
Joined
Sep 9, 2018
Messages
37
Reaction score
62
Location
Australia
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Australia, South Africa
I am having trouble mounting a set of recknagle swing off mounts to my Mauser 98 rifle. I already stripped the thread on one set of screws, and now damaged the thread on another set as they just don't seem to go deep enough and tighten into the action. Has anyone else had this issue? Attached is the mounts I am trying to mount to the action.

Thank you
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250819_094530494.jpg
    PXL_20250819_094530494.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Metric or Imperial screw thread ?

Recknagel mounts normally have metric thread's, but not sure that on the rifle side you have this thread. I had this problem with one of my rifles.
 
Metric or Imperial screw thread ?

Recknagel mounts normally have metric thread's, but not sure that on the rifle side you have this thread. I had this problem with one of my rifles.
No idea. They are recknagle and meant for be Mauser 98 so I assume they would suit.
 
Not sure, you have to measure the thread. Screws of different lengths and threads are available on the market.
 
I expect that Mauser action was drilled and tapped at some time after manufacture? Possibly with Imperial thread, not metric? Shoul be a simple fix to retap or use different screws... or both.
 
The screws for the Recknagel and EAW mounts are some of the softest and easiest to strip or damage the heads of any other mounts I have experienced. I keep a small bag of spares that I bought from NECG for those “special filth uttering” moments.

Safe hunting
 
A simple procedure is suddenly such a pain. Damaged screw threads and no replacements available easily here. This one is off to the gunsmith to get sorted now.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,816
Members
169,621
Latest member
Jefferey86
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top