Mauser 98 500 Jeffery Info needed

Duane Wiebe has made the 500 J on Mauser. He used his own bottom metal, not exactly sure how he addressed feeding.
 
I am not sure but I think this coffin bottom metal is his design. I've never seen a Weibe 500J in person but I was looking at one many years ago online that WR had in their Montana Showroom, called and talked to the guy about it. It was a 22" takedown for 15k, with claw mounts and 30mm rings, I think it weighed 12 pounds scoped. It would have been a real stretch financially for me back then so I couldn't bring myself to do it,....but it's definitely one that "got away". I think a guy that knows what he's doing could make the big 500j cartridge work a few different ways. One downside to this davenport is you basically have to handle the gun like a blind mag when unloading. A small downside IMO in a dangerous game rifle. It's like he built in a safety measure, even if the mag release gets hit and the bottom metal slightly opens which is all it will do, the gun still functions perfectly.
 
I am after some information and pictures of 500 Jeffery rifles build on 98 mauser actions, not magnum actions. Things of interest are barrel profiles, number of cartridges in a single stack mag 2 or 3, floor plate configuration, Rifle weight. Pictures of feed ramp and the rear bridge - has the right side been removed in front of the charger slot or just opened up on the inside. Looking forward to some feed back.

Cheers Guy.

20230809_110813.jpg
20230809_110155.jpg
20230809_110141.jpg
20230809_110059.jpg
20230809_110049.jpg
20230806_123402.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,671
Members
168,930
Latest member
SyreetaNor
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top