Mauser 98 500 Jeffery Info needed

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I am after some information and pictures of 500 Jeffery rifles build on 98 mauser actions, not magnum actions. Things of interest are barrel profiles, number of cartridges in a single stack mag 2 or 3, floor plate configuration, Rifle weight. Pictures of feed ramp and the rear bridge - has the right side been removed in front of the charger slot or just opened up on the inside. Looking forward to some feed back.

Cheers Guy.

Tintin

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, ADA
Hunted
Australia
Hi Guy - thanks for this.

I'd also be keen any info from the AH collective minds on this.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Are you building one from scratch yourself or getting a gunsmith to do it for you ? There is some good info on a thread on this forum about mauser action magazine widths. It discusses the maths of cartridge diameter vs magazine width. That is going to be a big headache with the 500 Jeff. I believe the receiver will be narrower than ideal for the cartridge, so you need to work around that for correct feeding.

Tintin

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, ADA
Hunted
Australia
Thanks Nhoro - I'm toying with having a 'smith build one on a 98. I'm pretty sure he's on 500J on 98s before. I have read up a bit on the feeding and double / staggered mag set up.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Are you building one from scratch yourself or getting a gunsmith to do it for you ? There is some good info on a thread on this forum about mauser action magazine widths. It discusses the maths of cartridge diameter vs magazine width. That is going to be a big headache with the 500 Jeff. I believe the receiver will be narrower than ideal for the cartridge, so you need to work around that for correct feeding.
I will have the barrel chambered and fitted by a gunsmith. I will do the rest myself. I have searched the web for info and pictures, which there is not many. The video Von Gruff has put up is one I have watched many times. I have the math theory for the mag stagger, the 30 degree (0,866) theory. It would be handy to have a look at a sako mag. I have seen a couple of single stack mauser rifles which are a 2 round capacity. This would be the easy option. I have spoken to a couple of gunsmiths which get the 500 jeffery feeding with a single stack and some that won't take it on. Dwane Wiebe seemed to have the mag stagger worked out and, he likes the widest point of the rails to be 20.625 mm on his work. I am experimenting with some double stack mag boxes to see what I can work out. I am not in a rush to finish this project so I can take as long as I need to work out the feeding.

BUT a few pictures of the points in my first post would be very handy.

Any other feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers Guy.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What I found with 458 win mag/lott was that the magazine box is not the only issue (with a CZ magnum action) The reciever just under the rails is essentially the top of the magazine. The top bullet sits against the receiver wall and often the second round also touches the reciever on the opposite side. And you are limited as to how much you can adjust the reciever under the rails. I would suggest that you play around with the magazine width-I would guess that the box needs to be wider so that you get the correct stack angle on the top round. I believe that is why many people go for a single stack magazine-no angles to worry about. Have a look at this-principles are the same but your situation is more extreme !
Mauser Action Feeding Work - CZ 550

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
What I found with 458 win mag/lott was that the magazine box is not the only issue (with a CZ magnum action) The reciever just under the rails is essentially the top of the magazine. The top bullet sits against the receiver wall and often the second round also touches the reciever on the opposite side. And you are limited as to how much you can adjust the reciever under the rails. I would suggest that you play around with the magazine width-I would guess that the box needs to be wider so that you get the correct stack angle on the top round. I believe that is why many people go for a single stack magazine-no angles to worry about. Have a look at this-principles are the same but your situation is more extreme !
Mauser Action Feeding Work - CZ 550
Some handy information there.(y)

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Look up the Schuler made .500’s.
It looks like they used a stagger magazine to get the 3 down as the belly of the rifle looks standard depth to me. Also handy info. (y)

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Thanks for the picture of the jumbo, obviously not the the picture I was looking at.

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the look of the Schulers to the WJ Jeffery’s, personally. Sorta like a .425 WR on steroids :D

I guess you can stagger or single stack when building the gun, each just requires a different course to achieve?

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Make sure you machine the magazine follower to be tailored to the 500 Jeffery case. Often overlooked it's why my 500 Jeffery had feeding issues to start with. Took awhile to figure that out.

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings