Masai shield being eaten by bugs

First thing you should do is toss it in the deep freeze for 24 hours. You’ll kill what is on it. Then you thaw it and you need to poison it in some way to prevent reinfestation.

+2 on permethrin.

Just purchase a second freezer or ask a friend to put the shield in his freezer. It helped me with a similar problem.

Reactions: AES
The freezer seems to be the way to go. I remember seeing a programme about the conservation activities in the Royal palaces many of which have some amazing tapestries and clothing collections. Carpet moths are public enemy number 1 and the collections are reviewed very frequently. When detected its a couple of weeks in the freezer and then a thaw in a low humidity cabinet.

Hope that helps

FN

As noted, it is highly unlikely that hide was tanned thus the material is RAW and not treated. The protein fibers are the same as a live animal. Tanning changes the molecular structure and turns the rawhide into leather. Most the above chemical applications will work. I'm betting what little hair you have left is also damaged and will eventually fall out despite whatever you do now as the root follicles are already damaged.

I'd be more concerned that now you have attracted the moths, they they will be tempted to infest any other mounts you might have in the house that aren't 100% treated hides.

I suggest looking at the mount medix site. They have a host of green chemical sprays and solutions that will eradicate your problem. Not cheap at purchase, especially for me being in Canada but OMG cheap when looking at cost of what it saves. Like others have stated above, I put that shit on everything twice yearly. They have saver, protector and products to add when mounting. It also adds a nice smell to room after application, not raid/fumigate and leave smell. Its sold in many places throughout the US and shipped to Canada.

It works.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevinCalde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!