Martini Enfield .303

You may want to have a competent gunsmith check out the barrel and action for you to ensure it is in good condition before pushing the limits on the action.
I am going to take it to an old gunsmith that I know of and his work is perfect so I know he will just look it over for me. But I think it will pass very easy the current owner dit shoot it and he said it kicks like a mule or atleast compared to a lee enfield

So many good reloading choices in the USA. Not sure what selection you have there. I used to duplicate one of the original loadings :31.5 grains cordite and a 215 grain RN by using 3031......until Re-15 became available. 34 grains Re15 almost same....attached a foto of my 450/577, which I wish I still had......good shooting...............FWB

IMG_6175.jpg

So many good reloading choices in the USA. Not sure what selection you have there. I used to duplicate one of the original loadings :31.5 grains cordite and a 215 grain RN by using 3031......until Re-15 became available. 34 grains Re15 almost same....attached a foto of my 450/577, which I wish I still had......good shooting...............FWB

View attachment 315375
What brand makes 3031 ? We do get some American brands of powder

IMR Legendary Powders...3031............formerly Dupont.......FW Bill

Ooops............now owned by Hodgdon.....Bill

Most people take cordite charge, and multiply by 1.15 to 1.19....depending whether Re-15 or 3031 ......I use 1.10.........hence 31.5 grains cordite 34 to 35 grains.....most Martinis made after the conversions are pretty strong for their day.......but 34 light enough for the Lee.....Bill

Most people take cordite charge, and multiply by 1.15 to 1.19....depending whether Re-15 or 3031 ......I use 1.10.........hence 31.5 grains cordite 34 to 35 grains.....most Martinis made after the conversions are pretty strong for their day.......but 34 light enough for the Lee.....Bill
Hey thanks will try theloads when I get my licence for the gun

I have heard the Rhino rounds are very good. Would be using PMP brass. What powerder whould you say S355 ? With CCI primers
Leon123
The martini Enfield was originally designed for a 215 grain bullet. If you want the best available try the Woodleigh 215grain round nose. This was designed for the 303 great penetration with good expansion. If you need a bit more velocity go for the Woodleigh 174 grain woodleigh PPSP, you will be able to duplicate the most v11 load of 2440 fps with that. Both of these are excellent game bullets.
If you want to make it even zipper for smaller deer try loading the 123gn Woodleigh.
Cheers mate Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a few boxes of R-P 215gr loads to run thru my LSA sporter. I also keep an eye on Gunbroker for bullets to reload of that weight. Find some too once in a while.

Love the old Martini's. This is one I did with n o s barrel and restocked which bought it back up to as new condition. Sold it on and its first outing had a spiker to its credit. The aperture sight is a fine addition and I made it so that it simply needs longer trigger housing and pivot screws so it can be returned to original at any stage if needed.
View attachment 315178
View attachment 315179
You do nice work there Von Gruff. (y) You should put yourself on steady!:D

Beautiful rifles!
I have a 577-450 but have never fired it.
I have 1 box of shells loaded by ten-x but the only currently available I've seen run almost $200 a box.
So it remains unfired for now

Beautiful rifles!
I have 1 box of shells loaded by ten-x but the only currently available I've seen run almost $200 a box.
Have replied via PM Wade not to hijack the thread any more than I already have.

Beautiful rifles!
Wade j
Try Bertram brass in Australia mate or if you are in the USA old western scrubbers..
Cheers mate Bob

So to update every one my licence was approved last week Thursday. Just waiting for the card to go colect her should be in the next few weeks will post some nice pics of her. Do not think I will be hunting with it this season as it is coming to close will have basicaly one month if I am lucky with the card. Would a barrel rust inside if it was cleaned after being fired and then stored in a safe for little bit more than 10 years

Congrats and I hope its in your hands soon. I would buy some cheap PMP and get it grouping on a target at 50m and take it along on my next hunt if I was you.

One of the coolest hunts I ever did was with a friends Enfield Martini that was converted to 6mm Musgrave. Just the whole vibe of taking open plains animals with an old classic made my hunt.

Congrats and I hope its in your hands soon. I would buy some cheap PMP and get it grouping on a target at 50m and take it along on my next hunt if I was you.
That cheap PMP brown box is not so easy to find anymore but PMP brass is the best. I just hope the inside of the barrel is in as good condition as the outside . I can believe it will be the best to hunt with it. It will be my only rifle at the moment as I am or was just a bow hunter

That cheap PMP brown box is not so easy to find anymore but PMP brass is the best. I just hope the inside of the barrel is in as good condition as the outside . I can believe it will be the best to hunt with it. It will be my only rifle at the moment as I am or was just a bow hunter
Leon123
Glad to see you've made the move from stick chucker to the rifle world.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your rifle. You already have the stalking skills with the bow. Hunting with a rifle with be so much easier.
Enjoy your rifle mate I'm sure it will be your first of many.
Cheers Bob Nelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!