Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
It's a slow Saturday. I found this video and wasn't sure I should post it here or in the humor forum. One of the moderator will correct it, if it's wrong.

I can't imagine spending 10 or 14 days in the veld with this guy. Or should I say, "Going into battle?"

This is a great video. I would love to spend 10 days in the bush with this guy. I would find it to be great comic relief.

On a more serious note, I saw this guy at an outdoor expo in Salt Lake a year or so ago. He had 5 guys gathered around at all times.

20160213_110849.jpg

The fact that people hunt with this guy is amazing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll show up to hunt with him carrying a Kreighoff .500 Nitro.

Sullivan doesn't like Kreighoff doubles, and he thinks the .500 nitro is for sissies.

He is certainly a character. He does seem to know his stuff though.

Thanks for sharing will watch the video later.

Oh well that is Heym off my shortlist for my 470NE .The guy is vulgar in my humble opinion .......

Sorry, Sullivan knows how to handle a gun and has balls to hunt dg without sissy 375h shots with a scoped Winnie from 150 yds from the cosy back seat of a landy. He may be making a living off a certain image that doesn't sit right with some, but, he knows how to shoot and believes in his practices. As for heym, no Westley drop lock, but probably the best choice if you cant afford one.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Mark can shoot. There is no doubt about that. It's the way he goes about shooting that most have issues with. I would never want to have Mark Sullivan teaching my 13 year old about hunting or handling a rifle. Having hunted buffalo quite a bit myself, I would never refer to it as going to battle. Serious business yes, but I haven't deliberately provoked charges either. That type of behavior will get someone killed eventually. His way of hunting is stupid IMO. But can Mark shoot under pressure? No doubt.

Marketing at its best.
A Lightening rod.

Good lord this man likes to hear himself talk!

You have this man figured out, that's a fact!
.....................................................................................................................................:D

Sorry, Sullivan knows how to handle a gun and has balls to hunt dg without sissy 375h shots with a scoped Winnie from 150 yds from the cosy back seat of a landy. He may be making a living off a certain image that doesn't sit right with some, but, he knows how to shoot and believes in his practices. As for heym, no Westley drop lock, but probably the best choice if you cant afford one.

As my original post said
I find the man vuglar in extremis
..and thank you for the advice on the Heym which model (s) do you own ? as yes indeed WR is beyond me apart from a 1910 318wr Bolt gun and a 1939 318wr double ........ Not buff material apatently

However Mr W D M Bell ,a true hunter, ...did shoot an elephant or two with one ....or so I am told
.. Appreciate your advice on the 375 HH inadequacies as a hunting calibre ........

Insightful information ... how did you find it inadequate and what made you choose a larger calibre ? Would appreciate your advice as off to Africa again late March and would not want to take the wrong calibre .......

Last edited:
On one hand, different strokes for different folks.

On the other hand, disregard what I just said as Mr. Sullivan actions are narcissistic and a blemish on good hunter's reputations everywhere. I say that by evaluating his words and his ethical construct that he lives by....pure fantasy at the expense of the animal.

My review of one of his videos:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...iewed-and-ethics-evaluated.28731/#post-267189

Last edited:
I actually thought he seemed a little toned down in this video.

We usually try to keep this pretty civil - but your comment and assumptions with regard to - well, I guess my use of a .375, is one of the stupidest things that have ever read here. I think you would be hard pressed to find any of the .375 users here blasting away at dangerous game from either 150 yards or the back of a "landy."

I do take seriously putting the first bullet where it will do the most good - an ethic that seems very far from Mr. Sullivan's hunting practices. A scope and a .375 seems to accomplish that remarkably well.

Last edited:
I Guess over a hundred years of use in Africa isn't long enough to prove the .375

Not commenting on him or his methods, but he does have one thing absolutely correct: In A Fight- Front Sight.

I suppose those that just use scopes won't recognize the significance but those of us that went through Edson Range or Parris Island well remember the Tip of the Front Sight Blade and the visuals from when we used it in actual confrontations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you